Texas 2017

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Texas 2017

Post by Unome »

MyMomIsOkra wrote:
Unome wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:Congratulations to everyone who competed at Cyfalls yesterday!

Division B:
1. Beckendorff
2. Riverwood
3. Tays

Division C:
1. Seven Lakes
2. Clements
3. Tompkins

For those who don't know, Tays is a new JHS from Katy that (I think) feeds into Tompkins. Glad to see a new school doing so well; they were winning a ton of medals!!!
Nothing unexpected then (besides Tays)? (and scoresheets aren't out yet?)
Do you know which teams stacked and which didn't? I would guess that at least 7l stacked, LASA probably didn't...
Based on the scores it looks to me like Seven Lakes was definitely split (and Clements and LASA as well).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MyMomIsOkra
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MyMomIsOkra »

Also, is Tompkins a strong school? I don't think they placed as a team as state last year, but here they are getting third at Cyfalls, no mean feat...
"Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud" - Maya Angelou :)
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Unome wrote:Based on the scores it looks to me like Seven Lakes was definitely split (and Clements and LASA as well).
^this is right; few teams stack for Cyfalls
MyMomIsOkra wrote:Also, is Tompkins a strong school? I don't think they placed as a team as state last year, but here they are getting third at Cyfalls, no mean feat...
They got 5th at state last year, narrowly losing to TAMS. I think they're one of the best teams in Texas behind SL/LASA/Clements and only trending upwards, especially with the emergence of Tays. Within a few years I think they'll be contending for a spot at nationals
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
jkang
State: TX

Post by jkang »

Adi1008 wrote:They got 5th at state last year, narrowly losing to TAMS. I think they're one of the best teams in Texas behind SL/LASA/Clements and only trending upwards, especially with the emergence of Tays. Within a few years I think they'll be contending for a spot at nationals
Tbh I'd be surprised if any school knocked off the Clements/LASA/7L trio anytime soon out of the top 3 at states, but it's nice to see Texas become a more competitive and nationally renowned state in SciO. Although idk if the strength of the middle school team really transfers over to the high school level, cuz I know a lot of the LASA team in '15 didn't do SciO at Kealing
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
Unome

Post by Unome »

jkang wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:They got 5th at state last year, narrowly losing to TAMS. I think they're one of the best teams in Texas behind SL/LASA/Clements and only trending upwards, especially with the emergence of Tays. Within a few years I think they'll be contending for a spot at nationals
Tbh I'd be surprised if any school knocked off the Clements/LASA/7L trio anytime soon out of the top 3 at states, but it's nice to see Texas become a more competitive and nationally renowned state in SciO. Although idk if the strength of the middle school team really transfers over to the high school level, cuz I know a lot of the LASA team in '15 didn't do SciO at Kealing
It sure seems to be working for Seven Lakes though :)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
MyMomIsOkra

Post by MyMomIsOkra »

MyMomIsOkra wrote:Also, is Tompkins a strong school? I don't think they placed as a team as state last year, but here they are getting third at Cyfalls, no mean feat...
They got 5th at state last year, narrowly losing to TAMS. I think they're one of the best teams in Texas behind SL/LASA/Clements and only trending upwards, especially with the emergence of Tays. Within a few years I think they'll be contending for a spot at nationals[/quote]

What about TAMS? What are they looking like?
MyMomIsOkra

Post by MyMomIsOkra »

What about TAMS? What are they looking like?
texas
Division: C

Post by texas »

Unome wrote:
jkang wrote:
It sure seems to be working for Seven Lakes though :)
cough *Beckendorff* cough
MyMomIsOkra wrote:
They got 5th at state last year, narrowly losing to TAMS. I think they're one of the best teams in Texas behind SL/LASA/Clements and only trending upwards, especially with the emergence of Tays. Within a few years I think they'll be contending for a spot at nationals
What about TAMS? What are they looking like?[/quote]

Ok, so I go to Seven Lakes Junior High, and a lot of us are going to Tompkins, including me. However, Tays beat us at Cy-Falls, because most of the Tays team is from Woodcreek, and their current coach was the former Woodcreek coach so :/.
Last edited by texas on November 3rd, 2016, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
texas
Division: C

Post by texas »

grrr ignore this post
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
Unome

Post by Unome »

Good luck to teams competing at Rice tomorrow! (and especially to Mat-Su CTHS from Alaska!)

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”