Food Science B

smurphy00
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Food Science B

Post by smurphy00 »

Measuring the food energy content in joules/gram seems highly...strange? It would make much more sense to measure it in kJ, or even kcal. I know it says 'joules/gram' in the rules, but perhaps can an event supervisor ask for it in kJ/g or kcal/g?
lianahubanks 24

Post by lianahubanks 24 »

any recommendations how to study the molecules example:glucose
lianahubanks 24

Any recomendations how to study the molecules?
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

lianahubanks 24 wrote:Any recomendations how to study the molecules?
Try http://molview.org/to study the structure of the molecules
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

If the rules say "penalized or disqualified", can that include being tiered? I figure it does, but I'm not very familiar with this event.
lianahubanks 24

smurphy00 wrote:Hi, I'm going to be supervising this event. I did it last year, but the topics are drastically different (dairy vs grains). Anyone who has taken a test for this year (or other event supervisors for this event!), typically how many lab tests (iodine, Benedict's, etc) does a student have to do, and typically what kind of foodstuff does a student have to measure with their calorimeter? Is a piece of bread okay to use? Thanks in advance :)
My teammate did this event this year a couple weeks ago and they had them measure a marshmallow with there calorimeter even though the topic is grains
smurphy00
State: OH

Post by smurphy00 »

lianahubanks 24 wrote:
smurphy00 wrote:Hi, I'm going to be supervising this event. I did it last year, but the topics are drastically different (dairy vs grains). Anyone who has taken a test for this year (or other event supervisors for this event!), typically how many lab tests (iodine, Benedict's, etc) does a student have to do, and typically what kind of foodstuff does a student have to measure with their calorimeter? Is a piece of bread okay to use? Thanks in advance :)
My teammate did this event this year a couple weeks ago and they had them measure a marshmallow with there calorimeter even though the topic is grains
Yup haha. It's because lots of grains don't burn continuously easily. I had my kids do corn chips...burned better than bread.
Hallen240

Post by Hallen240 »

Someone gave me an Olive to burn. Like what the heck?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!? :o :( :x :roll: :ugeek: :| :evil: :?:
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

Looking over the rules, Rule 3a says "Part 1: This part of the test will include both experimental tasks and multiple choice or other questions about the chemistry of food AND food grains (any seed)." This would seem to say that while the event focus may be on grains this year, that the entire world of food chemistry is not off limits and that anything within the rough definition of the chemistry of foods is fair game. If they had wanted it to be just about grains, I'd think they would have used different wording... any thoughts?
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
BeckyM-747

Post by BeckyM-747 »

Hi All,

In September 2016 the FDA finalized new nutrition label rules, but they are not filly implemented until summer of 2018. Should questions regarding nutrition labeling refer to the old nutrition label or the new one? Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Becky

Return to “2017 Lab Events”