chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by chalker »

SPP SciO wrote:
dhdarren wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
The rule is written like that to permit tape or glue, not prohibit it, so I'd suggest sticking with your initial instinct.

It's probably also possible to build a slotted blade that has a friction hold on the cd (akin to a paper clip) but, tape or glue should give you a light and durable hold.
A slotted blade won't work, at least for this year. If I'm understanding you correct, you're implying that the blade goes on the thin edge of the CD, correct? Since the rules prohibit any part of the blade on the rear side of the CD this year, a slotted blade would be in violation.
Good point - that's rule 3.f. Don't do the slotted blade idea. Glue or tape works fine.
Technically there are also ultra-small screws (you'd have to use nylon, not metal ones) you could use to mount to the CD, as long as no part of the screw protrudes from the back surface (either via trying to thread the hole in the CD or via counter-sinking from the back side).
kenniky
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by kenniky »

chalker wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
dhdarren wrote:
A slotted blade won't work, at least for this year. If I'm understanding you correct, you're implying that the blade goes on the thin edge of the CD, correct? Since the rules prohibit any part of the blade on the rear side of the CD this year, a slotted blade would be in violation.
Good point - that's rule 3.f. Don't do the slotted blade idea. Glue or tape works fine.
Technically there are also ultra-small screws (you'd have to use nylon, not metal ones) you could use to mount to the CD, as long as no part of the screw protrudes from the back surface (either via trying to thread the hole in the CD or via counter-sinking from the back side).
Wouldn't that modify the CD?
Ionizer
State: PA

Post by Ionizer »

kenniky wrote:
chalker wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
Wouldn't that modify the CD?
Yeah, but its allowed. The rules say no modification except to attach the blades. This modification would be to attach the blades.
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

I would have to ask, for what reason would you want to use screws when tape works perfectly well? If you are considering making an adjustable blade system using a screw then I would recommend simplification of the design.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

JonB wrote:I would have to ask, for what reason would you want to use screws when tape works perfectly well? If you are considering making an adjustable blade system using a screw then I would recommend simplification of the design.
^Seconded
calvin102111
State: IN

Post by calvin102111 »

windu34 wrote:
JonB wrote:I would have to ask, for what reason would you want to use screws when tape works perfectly well? If you are considering making an adjustable blade system using a screw then I would recommend simplification of the design.
^Seconded
If you were planning to do an adjustable design, I would probably recommend using a slot type design, so you can take out and insert blades at will.
ashmmohan

Post by ashmmohan »

still, with a slot type design I would use tape. screws would unnecessarily increase weight and are not as efficient as tape.
Boca Raton Community High School
Cornell/MIT/Berkeley/Regionals/States/Nationals (- indicates no medal)
Wind Power: 1/6/3/1/1/
Towers: 5/-/-/-/5/
EV: -/3
Hovercraft: 1/-/-
calvin102111

Post by calvin102111 »

I have to be honest here, I can't see any advantages of using tape over glue. Glue is much lighter, and will provide much less resistance than pieces of tape. Here are two types of super glue that I've used previously:
https://www.amazon.com/Insta-cure-filli ... noacrylate

or

https://www.amazon.com/Insta-cure-filli ... noacrylate

The first option is better and cures quicker, but the second option will still work fine (I used it up to the regional level).
Captain for 2016/17 Season

Projected Events: Wind Power; Dynamic Planet; Ecology; Optics; R & M; WIDI
0ddrenaline
State: MI

Post by 0ddrenaline »

calvin102111 wrote:I have to be honest here, I can't see any advantages of using tape over glue. Glue is much lighter, and will provide much less resistance than pieces of tape.
Tape makes it adjustable. I use tape until the blade is just right, and then I use glue as a final touch.
calvin102111

Post by calvin102111 »

0ddrenaline wrote:
calvin102111 wrote:I have to be honest here, I can't see any advantages of using tape over glue. Glue is much lighter, and will provide much less resistance than pieces of tape.
Tape makes it adjustable. I use tape until the blade is just right, and then I use glue as a final touch.
Ah, I guess that makes sense. In all fairness, I'm fairly confident with my design, so I've been going straight to glue :)
Captain for 2016/17 Season

Projected Events: Wind Power; Dynamic Planet; Ecology; Optics; R & M; WIDI

Return to “2017 Lab Events”