Fanglin
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by Fanglin »

SPP SciO wrote:
freed2003 wrote:How do other people do practice tests? I can't seem to find the maps.
You can download topo maps here: http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html Printing them at a high enough resolution to be useful may or may not be possible at your school, but I imagine Kinko's or Staples etc could do it. If your team participates in any invitationals, it's possible that you'll be allowed to take the map home. I was lucky enough to grab a handful of different maps at a coaches' conference last year which my students use to generate their own questions for their partners to quiz on.
You can also print these maps out on multiple pieces of paper, and if you tape them carefully enough, it works fine. If you want Legit topo maps, you either have to order them online, or at a USGS store. For highway maps, you probably have to just buy them to get the right ones. Often times people try to print them, but it usually never works.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
Teresa1109

Post by Teresa1109 »

Do you guys have any good links on what to study for highway maps I think I got the topographic part down. I just need to know some good links for some good and valuable information on highway maps. I'm kinda struggling on that part.
Pond2016

Post by Pond2016 »

Fanglin wrote:
SPP SciO wrote:
freed2003 wrote:How do other people do practice tests? I can't seem to find the maps.
You can download topo maps here: http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html Printing them at a high enough resolution to be useful may or may not be possible at your school, but I imagine Kinko's or Staples etc could do it. If your team participates in any invitationals, it's possible that you'll be allowed to take the map home. I was lucky enough to grab a handful of different maps at a coaches' conference last year which my students use to generate their own questions for their partners to quiz on.
You can also print these maps out on multiple pieces of paper, and if you tape them carefully enough, it works fine. If you want Legit topo maps, you either have to order them online, or at a USGS store. For highway maps, you probably have to just buy them to get the right ones. Often times people try to print them, but it usually never works.

Hi,
This is the first year we are participating in Science Olympiad; so wee are at a learning stage. The link you provided has USGS maps but still could not find the map needed in "Wicklund Invitational
Feb 6, 2016"( Clayton Quadrangle.) . Could you please tell me if you are able to find this map on this site?
Also this test needs "AAA San Francisco Bay " map. we are able to find it on AAA but that map does not have the notations on the side to find the GIRD notation. Some one also said we can buy the whole test package online , would any one know where to buy?

Thanks,
Pond2016
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

For map download:

Once you click on the site, you have to go to the left and click on "Download Maps". This will take you to a map lookup page. From here, in the "Search location" bar, you can type in the location of your map. Once you are taken to your location, you can click "Find Products", which should bring up the correct 7.5-minute map on the left, which you can then download.

As for AAA maps, they should all have some form of grid notation along the edges. I don't think I've ever seen one that doesn't have one. It's possible GIRD notation is something else that I don't know about, though.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Pond2016

Post by Pond2016 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:For map download:

Once you click on the site, you have to go to the left and click on "Download Maps". This will take you to a map lookup page. From here, in the "Search location" bar, you can type in the location of your map. Once you are taken to your location, you can click "Find Products", which should bring up the correct 7.5-minute map on the left, which you can then download.

As for AAA maps, they should all have some form of grid notation along the edges. I don't think I've ever seen one that doesn't have one. It's possible GIRD notation is something else that I don't know about, though.

Thank you very much for the reply(did not expect this fast reply).
did you happen to look at "Wicklund Invitational Feb 6, 2016" practice test? if you did where did you get the map? do you know where i can buy the whole package?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

I have not looked at the test; however, it is highly unlikely that there will be a "package" of maps for an existing practice test; you will probably have to find the individual maps on your own. Usually, people running the event won't use more than two or three maps, so there shouldn't be too many to look for.

Keep in mind that for the actual competition, participants do not have to bring their own maps; event supervisors will supply all maps, and they can choose maps from any location (within the United States, usually).
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

Pond2016

Post by Pond2016 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:I have not looked at the test; however, it is highly unlikely that there will be a "package" of maps for an existing practice test; you will probably have to find the individual maps on your own. Usually, people running the event won't use more than two or three maps, so there shouldn't be too many to look for.

Keep in mind that for the actual competition, participants do not have to bring their own maps; event supervisors will supply all maps, and they can choose maps from any location (within the United States, usually).
I wanted that map so that I can have the kids practice that test. Thank you very much again.
Grid notation I mean on the side it had numbers vertically and letters horizontal. Example the first question in this test is "what the grid location of Levis stadium?" And the answer is "F-18". The map I found online was good but these notation was not available.
How are you making b the kids practice without an associated map for these tests .

Thanks
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

You will have to order the physical map. If you're using online PDFs of the maps, you're not likely to find all the information you will need.

Helpful Links
Wiki
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
BBCode Wiki

RE02

Post by RE02 »

Okay so I have a question............
Can they test us using satellite maps, such as from google maps? Or is it only quadrangles, highway maps, and state maps?
haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall »

So, I'll be writing a test for the first time for Road Scholar, and having never written one before (have proctored however), is it typical for USGS Topo maps to be printed with the PLSS sections already numbered? There seems to be a PLSS layer on the PDFs that you can toggle on and off on the topo maps you can download from the USGS, and I didn't know if it was typical to print that layer when printing the maps for tests.

Edit:
Also while I'm asking, are there any good sources for understanding PLSS?

Return to “2017 Study Events”