MIT Invitational

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: MIT Invitational

Post by Unome »

Apple_Nut wrote:
Unome wrote:
windu34 wrote:Any predictions for top 10 at MIT?
Since Luo seems to have disappeared: Team List

My Predictions:
I'm going to go to top 20, because I can 8-) also ignoring second teams and just predicting the school order

1) Seven Lakes - sure Adi keeps saying it's too early to tell, but taking first and second at every tournament so far, plus the Beckendorff 2014 class coming up, this looks about right to me
2) Troy - Because Troy
3) Solon - In case you didn't already hear about them placing third at Northview with a 9-person team
4) Mentor - They don't seem to have dropped much from last year, plus Memorial's 2013 class
5) LASA - I have no idea, but I don't really want to bet against them
6) WW-P North - Taking first and third at Islip, definitely looking strong
7) Harriton - Am not sure how much they'll drop by (although I'm fairly confident that they will drop a bit)
8) Clements - They've been doing pretty well, so no reason to put them much lower
9) Acton-Boxborough - Not seeing any signs of change, so I'll just leave them right here
10) New Trier - Figure the Marie Murphy classes coming up should hold them up for at least another year
11) Chattahoochee - Won first and second at UGA split, but hard to compare against tougher competition
12) Boca Raton - Probably going to continue to get better slowly over time
13) Columbia - According to the NY people I've talked to Columbia isn't going to really fall down anytime soon
14) Ward Melville - Looked like they're back at their 2009-2012 range again judging by Islip
15) Penncrest - Same as ever, despite PA getting more competitive they can still probably hold against some strong teams
16) Conestoga - Not sure whether they're going to improve back to their peak, but they probably aren't going to slide much (especially if Strath Haven HS follows the MS pattern)
17) Brookwood - Probably about as strong as last year, maybe stronger; hard to tell with them
18) Fayetteville-Manlius - Did not do as well as expected here last year
19) Fairfax - Did fairly well here last year, though still a ways behind the group ahead of them
20) Westlake - Same as above

I'm not sure where you saw that Solon had a 9 person teams at Northview but they had 2 team competing. Solon also finished 2nd not 3rd.
Source and yeah the results got changed after I posted this.
jkang
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jkang »

Unome wrote:
windu34 wrote:Any predictions for top 10 at MIT?
Since Luo seems to have disappeared: Team List

My Predictions:
I'm going to go to top 20, because I can 8-) also ignoring second teams and just predicting the school order

1) Seven Lakes - sure Adi keeps saying it's too early to tell, but taking first and second at every tournament so far, plus the Beckendorff 2014 class coming up, this looks about right to me
2) Troy - Because Troy
3) Solon - In case you didn't already hear about them placing third at Northview with a 9-person team
4) Mentor - They don't seem to have dropped much from last year, plus Memorial's 2013 class
5) LASA - I have no idea, but I don't really want to bet against them
6) WW-P North - Taking first and third at Islip, definitely looking strong
7) Harriton - Am not sure how much they'll drop by (although I'm fairly confident that they will drop a bit)
8) Clements - They've been doing pretty well, so no reason to put them much lower
9) Acton-Boxborough - Not seeing any signs of change, so I'll just leave them right here
10) New Trier - Figure the Marie Murphy classes coming up should hold them up for at least another year
11) Chattahoochee - Won first and second at UGA split, but hard to compare against tougher competition
12) Boca Raton - Probably going to continue to get better slowly over time
13) Columbia - According to the NY people I've talked to Columbia isn't going to really fall down anytime soon
14) Ward Melville - Looked like they're back at their 2009-2012 range again judging by Islip
15) Penncrest - Same as ever, despite PA getting more competitive they can still probably hold against some strong teams
16) Conestoga - Not sure whether they're going to improve back to their peak, but they probably aren't going to slide much (especially if Strath Haven HS follows the MS pattern)
17) Brookwood - Probably about as strong as last year, maybe stronger; hard to tell with them
18) Fayetteville-Manlius - Did not do as well as expected here last year
19) Fairfax - Did fairly well here last year, though still a ways behind the group ahead of them
20) Westlake - Same as above
Doesn't Seven Lakes always take first and second at every early tournament anyways (at least, that was my impression when I competed in Texas SciO). Not to downplay on any improvements that they might have had (I'll admit, I haven't really kept up with the development of Texas schools since I've graduated).

Also on a side note, MIT Invitational will also be including Fermi Questions and We've Got Your Number as trial events, for anyone interested.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Anyone here interested in a Scioly.org meetup at MIT? There are a lot of us going, so we might even get it to work for once! :roll:
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Unome wrote:Anyone here interested in a Scioly.org meetup at MIT? There are a lot of us going, so we might even get it to work for once! :roll:
Yeah for sure
Fluorine

Post by Fluorine »

windu34 wrote:
Unome wrote:Anyone here interested in a Scioly.org meetup at MIT? There are a lot of us going, so we might even get it to work for once! :roll:
Yeah for sure
I'm in. I'm guessing it would have to be the day of the MIT comp right
Unome

Post by Unome »

Fluorine wrote:
windu34 wrote:
Yeah for sure
Either the day or the day before, depends who's interested and what works best.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

Unome wrote:Since Luo seems to have disappeared
I'm sorry for my absence. I'm not directly involved with the tournament this year, so I'm not necessarily immediately in the loop when the website is updated or decisions are made. Stephen and Katie are doing an excellent job. Wishing you all a happy new year, and best of luck and skill at the tournament.
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

Is the website down again or am I just using the wrong link?(Btw I used the link from Unome's comment from November saying it was back up.)
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

maxxxxx wrote:Is the website down again or am I just using the wrong link?(Btw I used the link from Unome's comment from November saying it was back up.)
It's down/hacked for me too, for what it's worth
Fluorine

Post by Fluorine »

Unome wrote:
Fluorine wrote:
windu34 wrote: Yeah for sure
Either the day or the day before, depends who's interested and what works best.
I know a decent amount of teams stay in the same Marriott hotel the night before. If you are aiming for the day before might be a decent place. Since during the day of comp people have a lot of variability in schedule depending on how many events they are doing. Maybe survey who from scioly wants to participate first?

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”