Materials Science C

AllenWang314
Division: C
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Materials Science C

Post by AllenWang314 »

On the event description it says: "For States and National tournaments: Resistance to fracture (Fracture toughness), Resistance to repetitive strain ..." etc. But it didn't say for "States and Nationals ONLY" (which it did for chemistry lab). So can these topics show up on invitationals tests?
Without geometry, life would be pointless.

National Medals: 2017 Forensics 2nd, ...
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

AllenWang314 wrote:On the event description it says: "For States and National tournaments: Resistance to fracture (Fracture toughness), Resistance to repetitive strain ..." etc. But it didn't say for "States and Nationals ONLY" (which it did for chemistry lab). So can these topics show up on invitationals tests?
Yes, those topics can, and are likely to, show up on invitational tests. This should especially be expected at competitive invitationals that are hosting various teams that expect to contend for nationals.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
hearthstone224
State: IL

Post by hearthstone224 »

Hey guys, do you think going through previous years tests and trying to understand the material would be a good idea?

I didn't see any previous conversation on how the test has changed, so what do you all think about that?

Thanks.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Mat Sci-> Second at regionals
RSensing -> First at regionals
Towers-> Third at regionals.
jonmui28
State: NY

Post by jonmui28 »

Just wondering, do we have to learn calculus for this event? I'm a junior, so I take calculus next year, but I noticed that derivatives are used to determine creep while differentials are used to determine viscosity. In other words, do we have to compute numerical for creep or viscosity, or are we going to be required to qualitatively determine them (for example, listing liquids in order of increasing viscosity)?

Thanks!
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

I mean, probably not in my opinion. I don't think Science Olympiad would do that because what if you don't know calculus? Plenty of underclassmen don't know calculus so it would be a bit cruel.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Mat Sci-> Second at regionals
RSensing -> First at regionals
Towers-> Third at regionals.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

hearthstone224 wrote:Hey guys, do you think going through previous years tests and trying to understand the material would be a good idea?

I didn't see any previous conversation on how the test has changed, so what do you all think about that?

Thanks.
I'm not super familiar with past tests, but I can't imagine they are not at least very similar in terms of content. Materials science is pretty standard as a field at this level.
jonmui28 wrote:Just wondering, do we have to learn calculus for this event? I'm a junior, so I take calculus next year, but I noticed that derivatives are used to determine creep while differentials are used to determine viscosity. In other words, do we have to compute numerical for creep or viscosity, or are we going to be required to qualitatively determine them (for example, listing liquids in order of increasing viscosity)?

Thanks!
They will probably not have you use pure calculus. However, they may well give you a set of hypothetical experimental data, and say "find the creep of this material based on the data". So you're not taking a mathematical derivative per se, but you're taking the rate of change for different intervals, which falls more under the sort of algebra that is typically required for Division C, even though it's technically based on calculus.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

andrewwski wrote:I don't believe the Callister book covers contact angle, surface wetting, surface tension, etc. The Askeland & Haddleton book does cover most of that. (Typically, "Materials Science" refers to solids, which is what most introductory courses will focus on - although this event also applies to liquids - so you may not see those topics in every Materials Science reference).
This answers a question I asked in YDRC during the preseason; thank you. We've been mostly relying on Callister with supplementary materials from elsewhere, but I'll locate a copy of this now.
ReverseCold
State: CA

Post by ReverseCold »

According to Wikipedia creep begins to occur at around 35% of the melting point of a metal. On one of the tests in the exchange (New York State, Q5), it gives a metal with a melting point of 1240C and asks to find what temperature the metal will creep at. 35% of 1240 is 434, which made me choose A. The key says C. How does one get C? (231C)
Division C
Astronomy, Materials Science, Remote Sensing, Electric Vehicle, Rocks and Minerals
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

ReverseCold wrote:According to Wikipedia creep begins to occur at around 35% of the melting point of a metal. On one of the tests in the exchange (New York State, Q5), it gives a metal with a melting point of 1240C and asks to find what temperature the metal will creep at. 35% of 1240 is 434, which made me choose A. The key says C. How does one get C? (231C)
Conversion to Kelvin gets pretty close.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
angelnugroho

Post by angelnugroho »

Hey ya'll! I'm planning on competing in Materials Science and I'm trying get study materials. The materials science wiki page seems to have issues loading images for some pretty important terms and subjects.
For instance, on the list of basic terms it comes up with this:
Stress - Force per unit area. Represented by Failed to parse (PNG conversion failed; check for correct installation of latex and dvipng (or dvips + gs + convert)): \sigma

I don't think it's a problem on just my end, so here's hoping this gets fixed soon or isn't too important :D :D
Thanks!

Return to “2017 Lab Events”