bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Fast Facts B

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
texas
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fast Facts B

Post by texas »

Link to my Fast Facts Practice Test: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1h9u ... sp=sharing
(I'm sorry if it's bad, it's my first time making my own test)

Link to John Richardsim's Fast Facts Practice Test: http://scioly.org/wiki/images/5/5a/Fast ... SSSS16.pdf
Link to Test Notes: http://scioly.org/wiki/images/c/cb/Fast ... SSSS16.pdf
Link to Key: http://scioly.org/wiki/images/b/b3/Fast ... SSSS16.pdf
Tompkins HS Science Olympiad
Scientific Dragon

Post by Scientific Dragon »

How specific are the categories?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Scientific Dragon wrote:How specific are the categories?
The categories can be to any degree of specificity that the event supervisor chooses; since it's a new event and there aren't many tests yet, it'll be hard to tell. Based on the wording and examples from the rules and on soinc.org, I wouldn't expect anything as specific as, say, "Types of Muscular Dystrophies," or something super-specific like that, although broad categories like "Physics" might appear. Is there anything that you're thinking of in general?
k1213693
Division: B

Post by k1213693 »

Scientific Dragon wrote:How specific are the categories?
I think the most specific one I can recall is North American Trees, though usually they are quite general, like Dinosaurs, Scientific Laws, Bones, Human Organs, and Weather Phenomena.
Graduated
k1213693

Post by k1213693 »

Why is this a lab event?
Graduated
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

k1213693 wrote:Why is this a lab event?
Probably because it involves a lot of strategy to maximize points (and also because Inquiry events are generally thought of as lab events).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Unome wrote:
k1213693 wrote:Why is this a lab event?
Probably because it involves a lot of strategy to maximize points (and also because Inquiry events are generally thought of as lab events).
Note, SO doesn't officially categorize events as Lab vs. Test vs. Building. Any such categorization like you see on SciOly is done unofficially.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Dat_soccer_girl_16

Post by Dat_soccer_girl_16 »

How do you study for an event like this? It seems to me that a lot of the fast facts catagories involve many other events
SPP SciO
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

Dat_soccer_girl_16 wrote:How do you study for an event like this? It seems to me that a lot of the fast facts catagories involve many other events
Every now and then I'll give my students an index card with a category on it, something that pops into my head - maybe, solar system objects, or herbivores, or mountains, etc - and their task is to write an example for as many letters as they can on the back. What they don't know, they'll look up. The result is a growing stack of cards. Some categories are rather predictable - you just KNOW you're going to have "Elements of the Periodic Table" in some competition or another. Of course, you can also anticipate some weird categories that you simply can't think to prepare for.

Since this event is pretty light on preparation and relies heavily on general background knowledge, as a coach, I'd strongly suggest looking at your tournament schedule, and picking the two "smartest" (most well read, most science courses taken, etc) students that are free during that time. It doesn't even seem like teamwork is an issue with this event - any two brains are better than one.

Unrelated: has anyone had experience scoring this event? I could imagine this being a nightmare; constantly having to Google up student responses you didn't anticipate to see if they get credit, arguing over whether or not to accept a particular answer, etc. Unless the categories are very limited (like, Elements, for example) it must be impossible to create a reliable answer key.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com

Return to “2017 Lab Events”