Wind Power B/C

mkfiddler11
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by mkfiddler11 »

Has any of you been to an invitational and know of top high and low voltage scores at the event? Please post the resistance used in the setup. Thanks!
HandsFreeCookieDunk
Division: C
State: PA

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

mkfiddler11 wrote:Has any of you been to an invitational and know of top high and low voltage scores at the event? Please post the resistance used in the setup. Thanks!
Unfortunately, that information is kind of useless without knowing the motor as well. The motor itself has a huge effect on the voltage and those results would not be repeatable on any other motor. One of the most frustrating things about this event is that you can't really get an idea of how well your design performs ahead of time.
ashmmohan
Division: C
State: FL

Post by ashmmohan »

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:
mkfiddler11 wrote:Has any of you been to an invitational and know of top high and low voltage scores at the event? Please post the resistance used in the setup. Thanks!
Unfortunately, that information is kind of useless without knowing the motor as well. The motor itself has a huge effect on the voltage and those results would not be repeatable on any other motor. One of the most frustrating things about this event is that you can't really get an idea of how well your design performs ahead of time.
I concur; with different motors, it's almost impossible to get the same readings unless they are the same motor. However, that being said, as long as you improve on your team's setup, that will obviously translate to the competition setup, just with different readings.
Boca Raton Community High School
Cornell/MIT/Berkeley/Regionals/States/Nationals (- indicates no medal)
Wind Power: 1/6/3/1/1/
Towers: 5/-/-/-/5/
EV: -/3
Hovercraft: 1/-/-
mkfiddler11

Post by mkfiddler11 »

I agree that the voltage output depends on the setup. Our team ends up getting lower voltages at the tournament even though the resistors used are higher, may be the motor used is of lower power than what we use. It would be helpful if someone can post the results from 2016 nationals.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

mkfiddler11 wrote:I agree that the voltage output depends on the setup. Our team ends up getting lower voltages at the tournament even though the resistors used are higher, may be the motor used is of lower power than what we use. It would be helpful if someone can post the results from 2016 nationals.
Um okay how well do you know circuits...higher resistance means lower voltage because its harder for the turbine to spin the motor shaft
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
soyuppy

Post by soyuppy »

windu34 wrote:
mkfiddler11 wrote:I agree that the voltage output depends on the setup. Our team ends up getting lower voltages at the tournament even though the resistors used are higher, may be the motor used is of lower power than what we use. It would be helpful if someone can post the results from 2016 nationals.
Um okay how well do you know circuits...higher resistance means lower voltage because its harder for the turbine to spin the motor shaft
no...V=I*R. If R increase, assuming I remain the same, then V increase. V is the voltage drop. Or you can test it yourself. Just use higher resistance in you setup on the same blade and motor. See what happen.
soyuppy

Post by soyuppy »

I just helped ran an invitational event.

CD motor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OT ... UTF8&psc=1
Load R: 10 Ohm

Top blade = 700mV+ on high, 500mV+ on low
Low blade = 80mv on high, 70mv on low
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

soyuppy wrote:
I just helped ran an invitational event.

CD motor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OT ... UTF8&psc=1
Load R: 10 Ohm

Top blade = 700mV+ on high, 500mV+ on low
Low blade = 80mv on high, 70mv on low
Was this B or C? (I'll go ahead and assume this was at Mira Loma yesterday)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
soyuppy

Post by soyuppy »

Unome wrote:Was this B or C? (I'll go ahead and assume this was at Mira Loma yesterday)
B
soyuppy

Post by soyuppy »

Just post similar question to SO inc.
When you buy a bundle of CD/DVD, usually come in 25/50/100, you get the plastic filler. Can this plastic filler be used for blade? Has the same dimension as CD/DVD, but it's much lighter.

Return to “2017 Lab Events”