Forensics C

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by Panda Weasley »

Lumitailz wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Lumitailz wrote:I never quite understood how to do density tests- Do you use a beaker and fill the whole thing up with liquid? Or can you use test tubes? Plastics have always been a part of the test I just guessed on.
If you're doing plastics, the event supervisor will provide solutions of different densities. Since you can bring a chart with the densities of each plastic and the densities of the solutions, you can tell which plastics will sink/float in which solutions. At the event, you take the plastic and simply place it in the liquid to see whether it floats or sinks.
So for example, if the supervisors provide us with a large bottle of alcohol for a row to share, we can just dunk the plastic directly into the alcohol container?
The solutions are typically in large beakers that you share with everyone (from my experience). Make sure you remember to take your plastics out. Don't be that person!
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
bradyr18
Been thanked: 0

Post by bradyr18 »

Has anyone found a reliable conductivity tester? We've tried both homemade testers and flinn science testers and neither has consistently worked for us? Thanks
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

bradyr18 wrote:Has anyone found a reliable conductivity tester? We've tried both homemade testers and flinn science testers and neither has consistently worked for us? Thanks
Is your issue that the tester always lights up with a dissolved solution of any powder?
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
bradyr18

Post by bradyr18 »

pikachu4919 wrote:
bradyr18 wrote:Has anyone found a reliable conductivity tester? We've tried both homemade testers and flinn science testers and neither has consistently worked for us? Thanks
Is your issue that the tester always lights up with a dissolved solution of any powder?
One of the testers (our homemade one) always lit up on solution, the other (Flinn) never lit up which may have been from a bad lightbulb
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

bradyr18 wrote:
pikachu4919 wrote:
One of the testers (our homemade one) always lit up on solution, the other (Flinn) never lit up which may have been from a bad lightbulb
I remember a couple years ago we ran into the same problem with our testers always lighting up, and we figured out the reason why the homemade one always lights up is because of strong vs weak electrolytes. Some of the powders will completely dissolve in water, and the presence of so many dissociated particles allow the solution to very effectively conduct electricity, which will cause the bulbs on the tester to shine very brightly. But there are other powders that are weak electrolytes, which will dissolve in water, but not completely dissociate like strong electrolytes. Those ones will still be able to conduct electricity, but not as well, so the bulbs will still shine, but the light given off will be significantly weaker. A good way to test this is to look at NaCl (a strong electrolyte) vs. sucrose (a weak one).

There are three possibilities for the Flinn one: 1. It's not on (it has an on/off switch), 2. the 9V battery is dead, 3. as you said, the lightbulb is dead. Check those before buying a new one.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
18alia

Post by 18alia »

Hi guys, does anyone have the results for reacting powders with NaOH? It's not on the wiki, and we don't have the resources to run the tests ourselves.
Lumitailz
State: GA

Post by Lumitailz »

18alia wrote:Hi guys, does anyone have the results for reacting powders with NaOH? It's not on the wiki, and we don't have the resources to run the tests ourselves.
I'm pretty sure it precipitates with all the calcium and magnesium salts, and reacts with ammonium salts to form NH3
sciduck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MN

Post by sciduck »

What is the percentage distribution for fingerprints? Some test keys say 70% loops, 25% whorls, and 5% arches while others say 65% loops, 30% whorls, and 5% arches.
———————————————
SCIDUCK uses CONFUSION!
 ———————————————
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

sciduck wrote:What is the percentage distribution for fingerprints? Some test keys say 70% loops, 25% whorls, and 5% arches while others say 65% loops, 30% whorls, and 5% arches.
I see the first one more often I think
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
18alia

Post by 18alia »

Does anyone have the density values for different NaCl solutions? The only one I could find was 10%, and according to the wiki, 25% and saturated are often available for density tests.

Return to “2017 Lab Events”