Wind Power B/C

Sasstiel
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power B/C

Post by Sasstiel »

I don't really understand how the blade can extend behind the CD, can anyone explain?
DFTBA!
Exp Des, Wind, Food, and Bottle
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

Sasstiel wrote:I don't really understand how the blade can extend behind the CD, can anyone explain?
If you attach your blades by cutting slits in them and sliding them on. That's what I did last year! Although I'm pretty sure this year you're not allowed to have anything back there.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

Alex-RCHS wrote: Or is it the case that (generally) if a design works well at 5 ohms it also works well at 25 ohms?.

This.
mkfiddler11

Post by mkfiddler11 »

JonB wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote: Or is it the case that (generally) if a design works well at 5 ohms it also works well at 25 ohms?.

This.
Does that mean, the output voltage is same for both setups using 5 and 25 ohms?
kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

Is there a cheap, fast way to make a reliable test stand setup? Currently we are using a music stand (http://static.musiciansfriend.com/stati ... -15-13.png) with a motor duct-taped onto it, but obviously that is far from optimal as it wobbles quite a bit (If you hold the bottom it's fine but it would be nice to get a stabler one)

Before you ask - yes, I do know of the instructions on the website; however, they are pretty involved. Is there a way I can make a relatively stable setup out of common household materials within about 2 days?

Thanks
Last edited by kenniky on January 12th, 2017, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

mkfiddler11 wrote:
JonB wrote:

This.

No, I am not sure that would be possible. I was referring to the fact that our turbines that work best with low resistance are also working best with high resistance.
mkfiddler11

Post by mkfiddler11 »

JonB wrote:
mkfiddler11 wrote:
JonB wrote:

This.

No, I am not sure that would be possible. I was referring to the fact that our turbines that work best with low resistance are also working best with high resistance.
Thanks for clarifying. I agree with you. Our team's best designs work well regardless of the setup.
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Thank you for the response, JonB.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

kenniky wrote:Is there a cheap, fast way to make a reliable test stand setup? Currently we are using a music stand (http://static.musiciansfriend.com/stati ... -15-13.png) with a motor duct-taped onto it, but obviously that is far from optimal as it wobbles quite a bit (If you hold the bottom it's fine but it would be nice to get a stabler one)

Before you ask - yes, I do know of the instructions on the website; however, they are pretty involved. Is there a way I can make a relatively stable setup out of common household materials within about 2 days?

Thanks
The suggestions on the website aren't that complicated. A few pieces of PVC pipe you can pick up at any hardware store for relatively cheap, which you just slide together. You should be able to build it in less than an hour, including the time it takes to go to the store to buy the pieces.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Ionizer
State: PA

Post by Ionizer »

dragon_fruit35 wrote:
Sasstiel wrote:I don't really understand how the blade can extend behind the CD, can anyone explain?
If you attach your blades by cutting slits in them and sliding them on. That's what I did last year! Although I'm pretty sure this year you're not allowed to have anything back there.
If you are asking how this is possible, some teams last year glued the blades to the back of the cd. They may have also had designs with blades glued on the edge of the cd, or, in theory, they could have also had designs with large bends in the blades. There are probably other ways too, these are just examples. If you are asking whether blades can extend behind the cd or not this year, it is against the rules.
Class of 2016 Bayard Rustin High School Alumnus
State Event Supervisor
My Page

Return to “2017 Lab Events”