Hovercraft B/C

HandsFreeCookieDunk
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hovercraft B/C

Post by HandsFreeCookieDunk »

chalker wrote:
HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:So.... I'm pretty sure most people will think this is a stupid question, but the rules specify the dowel's height "above the lowest vehicle surface". Isn't the lowest surface of the vehicle the part that runs on the track? (In which case why didn't they just say above the track?) I know that sounds wrong, but it also seems odd to me that it would refer to the upper surface of the vehicle when it says the lowest surface.
And yes, I'm aware that this is not the place for official clarifications, I'm just looking for someone to tell me why I'm not seeing this right.
Technically, if the hovercraft levitates without a skirt, the 'lowest vehicle surface' is going to be a few mms ABOVE the track surface when in operation.
Alright, I'll give you that, it just seemed like an odd distinction to make. If the purpose of the dowel is to break a photo gate, why not base it on something that won't vary from team to team?
reed303

Post by reed303 »

RJohnson wrote:
HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:
andrewp wrote:I have a bit of a dumb question.... I assume that we don't have to protect the underside of the hovercraft from people trying to probe the "lift fan" from underneath inside its skirt, just anything that is exposed on top of the hovercraft?

Cheers,

Andrew
Not a dumb question at all, since I think there was another question about 4e. earlier in the year. The rule isn't particularly specific about how exactly the ES can try to access the fans with the dowel, so I'd say err on the side of caution if possible since I think it shouldn't be too hard to employ a skirt without a 1/4" hole in it.
I had an ES pick up my craft and DQ my device because I didn't have shielding on the bottom... Not a great experience. I would put it there. Also, from that experience, always tell the ES that you are more than willing to move your device for them but ask that they not touch it.
This happened to us at our Invitational also.
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
Adi3
Been thanked: 0

Post by Adi3 »

Hi,

Is there supposed to be sheilding on the bottom propeller of the hovercraft?
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

Adi3 wrote:Hi,

Yes. There should be shielding around every single propeller/fan.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Adi3 wrote:Hi,

As usual, this is not the place for official clarifications or statements. soinc.org is. That said, I'd suggest you parse rule 4.e. very closely, as it talks both about the motors, propellers, and shielding. Note that no distinction is made between 'thrust' vs. 'levitation' purposes.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:
chalker wrote:
HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:So.... I'm pretty sure most people will think this is a stupid question, but the rules specify the dowel's height "above the lowest vehicle surface". Isn't the lowest surface of the vehicle the part that runs on the track? (In which case why didn't they just say above the track?) I know that sounds wrong, but it also seems odd to me that it would refer to the upper surface of the vehicle when it says the lowest surface.
And yes, I'm aware that this is not the place for official clarifications, I'm just looking for someone to tell me why I'm not seeing this right.
Technically, if the hovercraft levitates without a skirt, the 'lowest vehicle surface' is going to be a few mms ABOVE the track surface when in operation.
Alright, I'll give you that, it just seemed like an odd distinction to make. If the purpose of the dowel is to break a photo gate, why not base it on something that won't vary from team to team?
Because we don't want to have to force the teams to turn on their motors to measure the height - it drains the batteries and might pose a safety hazard.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Soccer123

Post by Soccer123 »

windu34 wrote:
RJohnson wrote:
sciolyqa wrote: What is the part number of the motor from digi-key that suffice? We have been there and must have missed that.
Here is the link: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2560506
That is a really good looking blower! Specs are definitely above the requirement

Is the blower in this link legal based on the 2016/2017 rules for SciOly hovercraft event - i.e. the rules say "propeller" and would this blower have what would be considered a "propeller"?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Soccer123 wrote:
windu34 wrote:
That is a really good looking blower! Specs are definitely above the requirement

Is the blower in this link legal based on the 2016/2017 rules for SciOly hovercraft event - i.e. the rules say "propeller" and would this blower have what would be considered a "propeller"?
Yes
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Elastaro

Post by Elastaro »

If I use a 7.2 V battery rated at 3000 mAh to power a 12V DC fan rated at 1.8-3A (for thrust), will the fan be damaged? Does anyone have any suggestions on maximizing the fan output? Thanks!!
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

Elastaro wrote:If I use a 7.2 V battery rated at 3000 mAh to power a 12V DC fan rated at 1.8-3A (for thrust), will the fan be damaged? Does anyone have any suggestions on maximizing the fan output? Thanks!!
I doubt it'll damage the fan, considering you're running under the voltage limit. If you want to maximize fan output, I'd actually recommend using an 8.4 V battery, because that'll significantly increase the power.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19

Return to “2017 Lab Events”