EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Mid-Season Poll (Let's Try This?)

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

I did this is a few cases, and my explanation is simple: those teams do better against teams that do better at nationals than some teams that qualify for nationals regularly. Plus, if we take last year's results as a starting point, Ward Melville starts off at below 25th, so in my system, they would need a good invitational result to move back up into the top 25.

Again, the way I am personally submitting it, this is a mid-season team ranking, not a prediction for nationals. Not to say this is the only way to do it, but that's how I'm using it.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by lumosityfan »

Also you have to take into account that some schools in regions that have a dominant state champion (Troy for instance) may never get the chance to go to nationals even though they could be a Top 25 Team. They just never have the chance to show it.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Hey, Enloe got a vote! It's nice to see NC schools mentioned, even if we aren't usually top 20 (well, haven't been for a while).

I'm surprised to see 7L drop so low.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
jonboyage

Post by jonboyage »

Just a thing I noticed, you put Bayard Rustin in 25th place, but in the honorable mentions you put Rustin :lol:
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Hey, Enloe got a vote! It's nice to see NC schools mentioned, even if we aren't usually top 20 (well, haven't been for a while).

I'm surprised to see 7L drop so low.
Yeah I had 7L in first, but completely forgot to send in my predictions... I was validated pretty well by MIT results though.
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:I did this is a few cases, and my explanation is simple: those teams do better against teams that do better at nationals than some teams that qualify for nationals regularly. Plus, if we take last year's results as a starting point, Ward Melville starts off at below 25th, so in my system, they would need a good invitational result to move back up into the top 25.

Again, the way I am personally submitting it, this is a mid-season team ranking, not a prediction for nationals. Not to say this is the only way to do it, but that's how I'm using it.
This is basically what I did as well (which I why I had Chardon HS on my list). I think I actually ranked Mountain View slightly above Mira Loma (based on graduation trends and such). I also didn't realize until now how good Horner and Hopkins are; when your state has Churchill, Kennedy, and Wicklund, it must be pretty tough to get noticed.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
RiceGum
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by RiceGum »

lumosityfan wrote:The results are in! Here are your mid-season Top 25 for Division B and Division C:

Division B:
Voters: EastStroudsburg13
1. Solon (1)
2. Daniel Wright
3. Meads Mill
4. Beckendorff
5. Kennedy
6. Magsig
7. Churchill
8. Marie Murphy
9. Tower Heights
10. Springhouse
11. Gelinas
12. Lakeshore
13. Longfellow
14. Piedmont
15. Eagle Hill
16. Science & Arts Academy
17. Dodgen
18. Kraemer
19. Ladue
20. Community
21. Horner
22. Chippewa
23. Baker
24. Hamilton
25. New Albany

Division C:
Voters: Adi1008, kenniky, EastStroudsburg13
1. Troy (CA) (3), 75
2. Mira Loma, 72
3. Solon, 60
4. Centerville, 57
5. LASA, 54
6. Northville, 50
T-7. Mounds View, 49
T-7. Adlai E. Stevenson, 49
9. Mentor, 48
10. Seven Lakes, 46
11. Clements, 44
12. Harriton, 39
13. Acton-Boxborough, 34
14. West Windsor-Plainsboro North, 29
15. New Trier, 24
T-16. Mountain View, 21
T-16. Chattahoochee, 21
18. Columbia, 17
T-19. Mason, 16
T-20. Munster, 16
22. Grand Haven, 15
T-23. West Windsor-Plainsboro South, 13
T-23. Palo Alto, 13
25. Bayard Rustin, 12
Received Votes: Carmel, International Academy Central, Troy (MI), Fayetteville-Manlius, Ladue, Brookwood, Montgomery, Ward Melville, Rustin, Enloe, Canyon Crest, Princeton

Congratulations to every team that was featured on the Mid-Season Division B and C Top 25! We will have another poll probably for the time period ending March 1, 2017 as a pre-states poll in a sense, as soonafter the vast majority of state competitions will run. And then for those of you interested, I'm probably going to do a pre-nationals for teams that actually make nationals. Enjoy!
Nice.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

lumosityfan wrote:We will have another poll probably for the time period ending March 1, 2017 as a pre-states poll in a sense, as soon after the vast majority of state competitions will run. And then for those of you interested, I'm probably going to do a pre-nationals for teams that actually make nationals. Enjoy!
It might be best to do one for each month. So, a February poll, March poll, April poll, and then May before nationals. States competitions are spread out enough that some states happen before some regionals, which makes scheduling that difficult. ;)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
LowEntropy

Post by LowEntropy »

I found it interesting how low Harriton is on the list considering their performance at Nationals last year. Now I understand this isn't a Nationals prediction and some have said the graduation effect hit Harriton hard, but a ranking of 12th after they were 1 point off 1st last year seems like a bit much.

I was about to cite their performance at MIT but I realize now that the invitational took place after predictions were due.
Userpage
Bayard Rustin High School
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

LowEntropy wrote:I found it interesting how low Harriton is on the list considering their performance at Nationals last year. Now I understand this isn't a Nationals prediction and some have said the graduation effect hit Harriton hard, but a ranking of 12th after they were 1 point off 1st last year seems like a bit much.

I was about to cite their performance at MIT but I realize now that the invitational took place after predictions were due.
Yeah, at this point I'd probably rank Harriton 4th.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
LowEntropy

Post by LowEntropy »

Unome wrote:
LowEntropy wrote:I found it interesting how low Harriton is on the list considering their performance at Nationals last year. Now I understand this isn't a Nationals prediction and some have said the graduation effect hit Harriton hard, but a ranking of 12th after they were 1 point off 1st last year seems like a bit much.

Yeah, at this point I'd probably rank Harriton 4th.
Certainly a jump from your 7th place prediction in the "Way Too Early Predictions" thread (one that was mirrored by maxxxxx)
Userpage
Bayard Rustin High School

Return to “2017 Nationals”