Strongest Invitationals?

jkang
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Strongest Invitationals?

Post by jkang »

Having competed in the first and proctored for the next two, I'd definitely say MIT is one of the top invitationals, both in terms of the competitors and the administrators. High quality selection of test-writers (most are either national proctors or competed/won nationally), test revisions, etc. These high standards of course draw in many of the nationally competitive teams, such as Troy, Solon, LASA, etc. In terms of Hovercraft, the reason they had nice tracks is because the national supervisor volunteered for the event and brought his own tracks.
UT Austin '19
Liberal Arts and Science Academy '15
Fanglin
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Fanglin »

Gray's lake invitational is pretty strong, they usually have 3 national teams compete there (Daniel Wright, Marie Murphy, and Hamilton)
Also Solon Invitational is big... no need to explain
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
sandvinsd
Division: B

Post by sandvinsd »

Unome wrote:I'm just going to list them in tiers, since sometimes it's really hard to distinguish.

Div B:
1. Wright State (has been top pretty consistently in B)
2. Mira Loma (this and the next two because NorCal B teams are really strong right now)
3. Mountain House, Mesa-Wilson, Churchill, Mentor, Westlake, Kenston, probably one or two IL tournaments (but again, I don't know much about that area)
4. Probably Rustin (would have been tier 3 if not for snow), Boyceville, Cornell, a few IL and MI tourneys that I don't know about, Dodgen, Chattahoochee (though hopefully we'll be higher next year :D )
5. no idea
I would add the Kraemer B invitational to the list with the high number of schools attending from the competitive SoCal state. With the exception of Mesa Verde, last year's #3 team, it had all the top teams from the SoCal elite (remember no Muscatel this year so one of these is likely going to Nationals). Any of those top 5 on this list would be top 20 National favorites if they could ever attend.

Attending with placing in last year state tournament:
#2 Kraemer - 4 teams
#4 CVMS (2 teams, just won SD regional and if both teams were schools, both would have qualified for state)
#5 Mesa Robles (2 teams)
#6 Jeffrey Trail (2 teams)
#7 Oak Valley MS (2 teams, just finished second in SD regional and like CVMS both would have qualified for state)
#9 Chaparral (2 teams)
#11 Suzanne (2 teams)
#12 Ladera Vista (2 teams)
#13 Ocean Air (4 teams)
#15 Serra Vista

Also Kennedy, the #2 from NorCal was there with two teams.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

sandvinsd wrote:
Unome wrote:I'm just going to list them in tiers, since sometimes it's really hard to distinguish.

Div B:
2. Mira Loma (this and the next two because NorCal B teams are really strong right now)
3. Mountain House, Mesa-Wilson, Churchill, Mentor, Westlake, Kenston, probably one or two IL tournaments (but again, I don't know much about that area)
4. Probably Rustin (would have been tier 3 if not for snow), Boyceville, Cornell, a few IL and MI tourneys that I don't know about, Dodgen, Chattahoochee (though hopefully we'll be higher next year :D )
5. no idea
I would add the Kraemer B invitational to the list with the high number of schools attending from the competitive SoCal state. With the exception of Mesa Verde, last year's #3 team, it had all the top teams from the SoCal elite (remember no Muscatel this year so one of these is likely going to Nationals). Any of those top 5 on this list would be top 20 National favorites if they could ever attend.

#2 Kraemer - 4 teams
#4 CVMS (2 teams, just won SD regional and if both teams were schools, both would have qualified for state)
#5 Mesa Robles (2 teams)
#7 Oak Valley MS (2 teams, just finished second in SD regional and like CVMS both would have qualified for state)
#9 Chaparral (2 teams)
#11 Suzanne (2 teams)
#12 Ladera Vista (2 teams)
#13 Ocean Air (4 teams)
#15 Serra Vista

Agreed, I forgot about Kraemer. I'd put them in #4.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
sandvinsd

Post by sandvinsd »

Kraemer and JT teams finished 1-2-3-4 in OC that were at the regional. The San Diego schools who attended the Kraemer invite were CVMS was 1,6,7, Oak Valley 2,8 and Black Mountain 3,5, so they represented 7 of the top 8 teams!
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

sandvinsd wrote:I would add the Kraemer B invitational to the list with the high number of schools attending from the competitive SoCal state. With the exception of Mesa Verde, last year's #3 team, it had all the top teams from the SoCal elite (remember no Muscatel this year so one of these is likely going to Nationals). Any of those top 5 on this list would be top 20 National favorites if they could ever attend.

#2 Kraemer - 4 teams
#5 Mesa Robles (2 teams)
I'm not sure about any of the top five. Jeffrey Trail and Kraemer would definitely be favorites for top 20 in my mind. However, I am not entirely convinced about the others. In my mind, Carmel Valley is right around the borderline and could go either way. Mesa Robles and Oak Valley are good teams, but I think they'd probably be underdogs for top 20. Top 30 would be more reasonable.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
SOPomo

Post by SOPomo »

sandvinsd wrote:
Kennedy wasn't at Kraemer, because Mira Loma was the same weekend up north, and they won that one. Unless they have four teams.

They did make Mesa Robles / Wilson though, at the end of the month.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

Unome wrote:I would also add that since they pay for event supervisors' costs (last I heard, not sure if this is still true but seems likely), this allows them to bring in basically anyone who's willing (which they can find a lot of by going through their members' networks).
yes, this is still the case
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

Div C:
1. MIT (by a lot)
2. Wright State (they wouldn't have been here last year, MIT stole their thunder), Golden Gate
3. Mira Loma, Westlake, Mentor, Troy, Cornell
4. UPenn, Solon, Princeton, Rice (though the TX teams were very split), Valley Forge
5. idk maybe Boyceville, depends how the area's teams are doing. Possibly Kenston and WL-S too. A few IL and MI tournaments could be put here, but I don't know enough about those areas.

If you hadn't already heard, Twin Tiers is basically dead.

Div B:
5. no idea

Edit: Agree with mostly everything East says above
Unome what can you say about the Brookwood invitationals in its relation to the top 5 invites?
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

awesome90220 wrote:

Div C:
1. MIT (by a lot)
2. Wright State (they wouldn't have been here last year, MIT stole their thunder), Golden Gate
3. Mira Loma, Westlake, Mentor, Troy, Cornell
4. UPenn, Solon, Princeton, Rice (though the TX teams were very split), Valley Forge
5. idk maybe Boyceville, depends how the area's teams are doing. Possibly Kenston and WL-S too. A few IL and MI tournaments could be put here, but I don't know enough about those areas.

If you hadn't already heard, Twin Tiers is basically dead.

Div B:
5. no idea

Edit: Agree with mostly everything East says above
Unome what can you say about the Brookwood invitationals in its relation to the top 5 invites?
Brookwood is certainly not near 5th tier. Maybe 7th tier or so, with the very top MI invites (West Ottawa?) at 6th. Consider the level of the tournaments on 5th (minus MI invites which none are really quite competitive enough). All of the invites listed have at least one top ten nationals team in attendance - Mounds View at Boyceville, Solon at Kenston, Solon and (maybe?) Northville at WL-S, New Trier and Stevenson at the top IL invites, etc.

Anecdotal evidence - I won three gold medals at Brookwood when I was a sophomore (despite only one of my partners being, at the time, as good as I was at the event). I was certainly not good enough that this was solely a product of skill - I definitely couldn't have done that at, say, Boyceville or Kenston (though I think I could have managed to be like top 6 in all of them).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”