Remote Sensing C

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by Unome »

hearthstone224 wrote:straight off a test I did on the wiki
In my experience, this is common in Remote. I don't know how regionals are in IL. In my years in Div B Georgia invitationals tended to have better tests, but it's the opposite in Div C; invitationals tend to have low-quality tests.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
hearthstone224
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by hearthstone224 »

Unome wrote:
In my experience, this is common in Remote. I don't know how regionals are in IL. In my years in Div B Georgia invitationals tended to have better tests, but it's the opposite in Div C; invitationals tend to have low-quality tests.
Hm, I think that maybe the supervisors just don't feel like coming up with new questions. They wouldn't do this at regionals though, would they?

Just in case they do though, I'm going through most of the old practice tests on the wiki :)
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Mat Sci-> Second at regionals
RSensing -> First at regionals
Towers-> Third at regionals.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

hearthstone224 wrote:
Unome wrote:
Hm, I think that maybe the supervisors just don't feel like coming up with new questions. They wouldn't do this at regionals though, would they?

Just in case they do though, I'm going through most of the old practice tests on the wiki :)
I don't know how it is in Illinois, but over here invitationals are generally better-run than regionals.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Wow. I would think opposite since Regionals are what really matters, right? Invitationals kind of are just there for practice.

Anyways, nice to know. I'm going through the Pennsylvania State Test 2013, since that was the test which the directions were straight out of.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

In a lot of cases, invitationals tend to be better-run than regionals because invitationals have higher levels of competition. Regionals will often bring into play a bunch of schools with skeleton programs who can't field a full roster and/or never go to invites. I'd surmise that most invitationals are only out-run by the top regional competitions in the country.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
hearthstone224

Post by hearthstone224 »

Oh, ok. Interesting info there, since I feel like its so odd to have the more important competition be of lower quality.

Either way, what questions have you all been seeing on the test? I feel like a Regional wouldn't copy a test off the wiki, would it?

Also I feel as though this year is really A-train based, should I know a lot of stuff about the A-train satellites do you think?

The test I took was really imaged based actually.

Xuax

Post by Xuax »

My team doesn't go to invitationals, so I have no idea what tests for this event are like. I've tried the test exchange, but all the tests are from previous years and don't seem to have much in common with the rules. Regionals are coming up in a few weeks, and I have no idea if I've been studying the right stuff. From my understanding, tests involve some specific questions about A-train satellites, a few questions about climate change and physics, and a lot of image interpretation. Is there anything else anyone has seen on tests?
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

There should still be tests from the Test Exchange that are very heavy on the A-Train and similar topics. Honestly, the tests for Remote Sensing don't typically change very much (or at least haven't since Mars went away). There are usually questions about how satellites function, but other than that you seem to have covered the bulk of the topics.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

What print references are folks using? I got one of the top hits on Amazon via interlibrary loan, but it contained a healthy mold colony...bagged and sent it back home. I don't want to splurge on anything that's not on target for this. EM radiation is pretty standard for the physical sciences, and there's solid coverage of Earth's energy budget and climate stuff in the text I use for Meteorology. What for the Remote-specific stuff, though?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Skink wrote:What print references are folks using? I got one of the top hits on Amazon via interlibrary loan, but it contained a healthy mold colony...bagged and sent it back home. I don't want to splurge on anything that's not on target for this. EM radiation is pretty standard for the physical sciences, and there's solid coverage of Earth's energy budget and climate stuff in the text I use for Meteorology. What for the Remote-specific stuff, though?
I have focused mainly on the NASA website for A-train information, university-class powerpoints for energy conservation, and Wikipedia/reliable-ish websites for the most of the rest of the information. Ive started delving into scientific-journal papers for information on climate change and the atmosphere
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage

Return to “2017 Study Events”