MIScioly
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Michigan 2017

Post by MIScioly »

Unome wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:Region 6 scores (just because I know you wanted them, East):

Division B:
1. Baker (90)
2. Smith (92)
3. FH East (94)
4. Power (115)
5. BCS (118)
6. Boulan Park (148)
Division C:
1. Troy (63)
2. IAC (84)
3. DCD (102)
4. Athens (128)
5. Harrison (165)
6. IAW (177)
Wow, Smith came up that close against Baker? How are they usually? I've only heard their name a few times before. Also this is the same DCDS that was 3rd at state last year?
Yes, but Troy and IAC are also top-5 at States and Troy went to Nationals last year. DCD could still beat IAC at States.
2017 Results:
Haslett | Frankenmuth | Allendale | Regionals | Michigan State
Astronomy: 3 | NC | 1 | NC | -
Hovercraft: 2 | 2 | 2 | 2 | -
Materials Science : 6 | 3 | 5 | 1 | -
Optics: 12 | 16 | 2 | 3 | -
Wind Power: 6 | 11 | NC | 2 | -
Team: 6 | Bad | 1 | 2 | - (Didn't stack teams until Allendale)
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Dang, I didn't realize how LOADED Region 6 was in C. Smith being close isn't to out-of-the-blue; they did pretty well at a lot of the Ohio invites as well. I feel like this indicates Lakeshore has the inside track on second though; Baker probably needed to win by more than 2 in order to show a significant challenge.

EDIT: Of course, things can always significantly change between regionals and states. So teams like Baker still have a chance, but they have some work to do.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
SOS_pls

Post by SOS_pls »

Hi! Our team recently made it to states! :D :D I want to try really hard, but I don't really know what else to do. Could anyone suggest some tips for me in preparation for states? Thank you so much!
MIScioly

Post by MIScioly »

SOS_pls wrote:Hi! Our team recently made it to states! :D :D I want to try really hard, but I don't really know what else to do. Could anyone suggest some tips for me in preparation for states? Thank you so much!
Congrats! Preparation depends on the type of events that you do. If you are in study events, take practice tests, work with your partners, improve binders/notes sheets, etc. If you are in build events, keep building!

I can tell you from experience that it is MUCH harder to earn a medal at the State competition than at a regional competition. How much harder depends on the competitiveness of your region, but with 60 teams, there is a lot more competition for those 6 medals at States.
2017 Results:
SOS_pls

Post by SOS_pls »

Thank you so much, MIScioly! By the way does anyone have any early predictions for how States is going to turn out?
MIScioly

Post by MIScioly »

SOS_pls wrote:Thank you so much, MIScioly! By the way does anyone have any early predictions for how States is going to turn out?
I would be willing to bet a lot of money that Northville will win, but beyond that, anything is possible. Second place is up for grabs between a lot of teams at this point, although I think that Troy is probably the favorite. It could also end up being Grand Haven or a completely unexpected team.
2017 Results:
parasaurolophus

Post by parasaurolophus »

MIScioly wrote:
parasaurolophus wrote:
MIScioly wrote:Does anyone know how many teams were competing total in Region 6? It could help determine the number of teams going to the State competition from other regions.
Hello there! About 17 teams. Honestly it didn't seem to us that the total number has changed though, so I'm not sure why 2 whole spots were added. Maybe it could be attributed to increasing competitiveness or a regional decision.

However, I BELIEVE I heard them say at the awards ceremony that 60 teams were going to States this year in Michigan. So maybe the number is increasing in other regions as well. I am interested to find out as we hear from other regions!
The State competition will indeed be 60 teams in each division this year. However, bids from each region are based solely on the number of registered teams, and not on the competitiveness of the region.
As far as I know the number did not increase in region 6
2017 MI State Champion of Chemistry Lab
2016 MI State Champion of Fossils

Past events: Chemistry Lab, Electric Vehicle, Materials Science, Robot Arm, Bridge Building, Fossils, Disease Detectives

Proud 2016-2017 Co-Captain of the IA Central Gnomes
MIScioly

Post by MIScioly »

I can confirm that Region 12, with 41 registered B teams and 23 registered C teams, will be sending 11 B teams and 7 C teams to States this year.
2017 Results:
parasaurolophus

Post by parasaurolophus »

I highly doubt that the decision to send 60 teams instead of 40 teams to states was based solely on an increase in the number of teams enrolled. That is an INSANE increase, and one that certainly wouldn't come in just 1 year..
2017 MI State Champion of Chemistry Lab
2016 MI State Champion of Fossils

Past events: Chemistry Lab, Electric Vehicle, Materials Science, Robot Arm, Bridge Building, Fossils, Disease Detectives

Proud 2016-2017 Co-Captain of the IA Central Gnomes
MIScioly

Post by MIScioly »

parasaurolophus wrote:I highly doubt that the decision to send 60 teams instead of 40 teams to states was based solely on an increase in the number of teams enrolled. That is an INSANE increase, and one that certainly wouldn't come in just 1 year..
It was an increase from 48 to 60, so it's not quite that big. My guess is that it was done to help smaller regions. For example, the region with Ann Arbor Huron and Saline High School only has 6 or 7 C teams, so in the past they only sent one team to States. However, both of those teams would place in the top-10 at States if they went.
2017 Results:

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”