Astronomy C

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Astronomy C

Post by syo_astro »

Ashernoel wrote: I'm new to Astro this year, but I learned about those by using google and looking at national tests from the past. One of them has annotated solutions and it is really good, but I can not remember which. If I get to make an SSSSS test next year for Astronomy, I'll be sure to include those types of problems (probably, if the topic allows).
Just to note it's actually SSSS ;) (there is indeed much S in the acronym, though...).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Here's my Astronomy test from the recent Katy Regional Tournament, held at Beckendorff Junior High (key). If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM or email me!

(edit: for 7.g on the answer key, it should read 3999.8, not 4000.2)
Last edited by Adi1008 on March 13th, 2017, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Ashernoel
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ashernoel »

Adi1008 wrote:Here's my Astronomy test from the recent Katy Regional Tournament, held at Beckendorff Junior High (key). If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM or email me!
Are there any rules or regulations for high schoolers to be event supervisors? Or do you just apply / ask like anybody else with an application?
NT '19
Harvard '23
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Ashernoel wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:Here's my Astronomy test from the recent Katy Regional Tournament, held at Beckendorff Junior High (key). If you have any questions about it, feel free to PM or email me!
Are there any rules or regulations for high schoolers to be event supervisors? Or do you just apply / ask like anybody else with an application?
I don't know how it is in Illinois (though likely mroe formal than in other areas) but many regionals are sufficiently short on event supervisors that they'll pretty much take any adult with a pulse, and any high schooler who's sufficiently competent. However, I've not heard of someone writing a regional test for their own division before.

Nice test btw Adi; I scored 26/37 on the first part, and 13/26 on the second part (I completely flipped 7a through 7d and lost 8 points there ugh). How does that compare?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

It's not unheard of to see high schoolers supervising B division with adult oversight at lower levels of competition, but I'd be leery of them doing their own division considering conflicts of interest, content area and assessment expertise, ES experience, or what have you. My guess would be that Adi wrote the test, passed it to a proctor, and didn't compete in the event at that tournament. If not, well...the world's a big place. :geek:
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Ashernoel wrote:
The tournament was looking for someone to write an astronomy test and reached out to local science olympiad teams (e.g. Seven Lakes). As someone who likes both astronomy and writing tests, I volunteered to write the astronomy test.
Unome wrote:
Ashernoel wrote:Are there any rules or regulations for high schoolers to be event supervisors? Or do you just apply / ask like anybody else with an application?
I don't know how it is in Illinois (though likely mroe formal than in other areas) but many regionals are sufficiently short on event supervisors that they'll pretty much take any adult with a pulse, and any high schooler who's sufficiently competent. However, I've not heard of someone writing a regional test for their own division before.

Nice test btw Adi; I scored 26/37 on the first part, and 13/26 on the second part (I completely flipped 7a through 7d and lost 8 points there ugh). How does that compare?
In general, Texas has a shortage of event supervisors (but the event supervisors we have are pretty great and try their best!), so for small tournaments like this, students will help out. KRT specifically makes sure that all 23 national events are held which is fairly uncommon for Texas regionals (UT is another one that has all 23 events).

The top score was in the mid 20s out of a total of 63, so compared to them, you did well.
Skink wrote:It's not unheard of to see high schoolers supervising B division with adult oversight at lower levels of competition, but I'd be leery of them doing their own division considering conflicts of interest, content area and assessment expertise, ES experience, or what have you. My guess would be that Adi wrote the test, passed it to a proctor, and didn't compete in the event at that tournament. If not, well...the world's a big place. :geek:
Your guess is correct; I only wrote the test and passed it on to an adult proctor. I had a conflict that day where I missed a few hours of the tournament when the event was taking place, so even if I wanted to actually administer the test, I wouldn't be able to.

Seven Lakes and Beckendorff don't compete in KRT, but rather, go to other regional tournaments (Seven Lakes went to TAMUG for Regionals, and Beckendorff is going to UT-Austin)
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
raxu
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by raxu »

We've been trying the Princeton Invitational Astronomy test, and it has been near-impossible... Are questions about other stellar classification systems, fusion, eccentricity of systems, and somewhat-random facts normal on a State/National level test?
Richard
Events done Div. B: Simple Machines <3, Shock Value.
Events done Div. C: Astronomy <3 , It's About Time, Forensics, Optics, Remote Sensing, Game On, Materials Science, Mousetrap Vehicle, Fermi Questions, Thermodynamics.
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

raxu wrote:We've been trying the Princeton Invitational Astronomy test, and it has been near-impossible... Are questions about other stellar classification systems, fusion, eccentricity of systems, and somewhat-random facts normal on a State/National level test?
I can't speak for State level tests because they typically vary a lot depending on the state. However, the Princeton test was a bit too difficult, especially since Calculus was required for some of the math questions. I wouldn't expect of anything as trivia-based as the Princeton test. That being said, you should know a great deal about classification systems, eccentricity, etc, because those could most certainly pop up on a Nationals test. If you want a good approximation of the Nationals test, look at the MIT invite test, since they were written by the same people.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

antoine_ego wrote:
raxu wrote:We've been trying the Princeton Invitational Astronomy test, and it has been near-impossible... Are questions about other stellar classification systems, fusion, eccentricity of systems, and somewhat-random facts normal on a State/National level test?
I can't speak for State level tests because they typically vary a lot depending on the state. However, the Princeton test was a bit too difficult, especially since Calculus was required for some of the math questions. I wouldn't expect of anything as trivia-based as the Princeton test. That being said, you should know a great deal about classification systems, eccentricity, etc, because those could most certainly pop up on a Nationals test. If you want a good approximation of the Nationals test, look at the MIT invite test, since they were written by the same people.
Note, the Nationals test is generally significantly harder than the MIT test, though not as hard as the Princeton test. The Nationals test also uses obscure knowledge in application-based question, as opposed to how Princeton was more about spitting out obscure knowledge (most of which were directly from Wikipedia, so it shouldn't have been too hard if you had a laptop).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

I wonder what the Nationals test will be like. Is it just me or is this topic a lot easier than last year in terms of math?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19

Return to “2017 Study Events”