Electric Vehicle C

Thequestionmark
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Electric Vehicle C 2009

Post by Thequestionmark » March 9th, 2009, 5:37 pm

Northern Region was REALLY competitive.

A car 4mm off (slightly not straight), and only half a second off the time scored fourth.
Colorado -Disease Detectives, Bridge, Astronomy, It's About Time

rman

Post by rman » March 9th, 2009, 6:07 pm

fleet130 wrote:Target Distance = 10meters
Distance Traveled = 9.997meters
Distance Score = [(Target Distance - |Target Distance-Distance traveled|)/Target distance] x 100
= [(10meters - |10meters - 9.997 meters|)/10meters] x 100
= [(10meters - |0.003meters|)/10meters] x 100
= [(9.997meters)/10meters] x 100
= .9997 x 100
= 99.97

Note: If the Distance Traveled is less than the target Distance, the distance score is simply:
Distance Score = (Distance Traveled/Target Distance) x 100

Predicted Time = 40seconds
Actual Time = 40.05seconds
Time Score = [(Predicted Time - |Predicted Time - Actual Time|)/Predicted Time] x 50
= [(40seconds - |40seconds - 40.05seconds|)/40seconds] x 50
= [(40seconds - |-0.05seconds|)/40seconds] x 50
=[(40seconds - 0.05seconds)/40seconds] x 50
= [(39.95seconds)/40seconds] x 50
= 0.9988 x 50
= 49.94

Note: If the Actual Time is less than the Predicted Time, the Time Score is simply:
Time Score = (Actual Time/Predicted Time) x 50

I think there's a mistake in your Finish Line Score. Basically, you lose 1 point for each centimeter the pointer is away from the center of the finish line. If the pointer is 0.5cm from the center of the finish line, the score would be 39.50. I'm not sure how you arrived at a value for the Final Distance. This distance is measured between 2 points, the center of the finish line and the location of the pointer on the vehicle. To find the Final Distance in your example, it is necessary to calculate the length of the hypotenuse of a triangle with the two sides given (3mm & 5mm)

Final Distance = sqr root ( 0.3^2 + 0.5^2) = sqr root (0.09 + 0.25) = sqr root (0.34) = 0.58cm
Finish Line Score = 40 - Final Distance = 40 - 0.58 = 39.42

Center Line Score = 10

Total Score = 99.97 + 49.94 + 39.42 + 10.00 = 199.33

You are correct I moved the decimal place over one on the finish line score. Boy it is going to really tough to get a score that would likely guaranty a win at Nationals. Were there any rule changes this year that would significantly effect the scores?

Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man » March 9th, 2009, 7:53 pm

Thequestionmark wrote:Northern Region was REALLY competitive.

A car 4mm off (slightly not straight), and only half a second off the time scored fourth.
As I said over on the bridge thread, Northern Colorado rocks. It came as a very pleasant surprise to us that our little string-winder got 2nd. In that it was built in 2 weekends- actually 2 days, and got....less than 5 hours of testing has us hopeful for State. Good design, good execution, but the guys were really just starting to get down to fine-tuning for Regionals. The bonus for non-electronic controls this year has made things very interesting....

Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 » March 9th, 2009, 7:55 pm

I believe scoring is essentially unchanged with the exception of the "no electronics" bonus. This bonus disappears as the score approaches 200.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man » March 9th, 2009, 8:29 pm

fleet130 wrote:I believe scoring is essentially unchanged with the exception of the "no electronics" bonus. This bonus disappears as the score approaches 200.
But, at 1/3 of the difference in raw score and 200, it is helpful all the way to....199.99... It doesn't disapear until 200.0. As you get closer to perfection, the bonus gets smaller (numerically), but the difference in scores, and the increment that can make a difference in placing gets smaller, too.

Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

rman

Post by rman » March 10th, 2009, 2:25 pm

In the Electric Vehicle WIKI it says "Because using sensors that sense the environment is not allowed by the rules, you are really limited to what types of sensors you can use." I cannot find this rule anywhere in the Rules Manual, is there some FAQ or rules clarification where they say that it is illegal to use sensors that sense the environment? Also what does "sensors that sense the environment" even mean? Was the Wiki author talking about temperature sensors (to calculate the change in diameter of the wheels), or using a wheel to measure the distance traveled, or something else?

gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by gh » March 10th, 2009, 2:48 pm

I can't remember if it was a discussion here or a FAQ, but there was some trouble with last year's rules that made it ambiguously legal to use a sensor on an axle that is not powered, or using something like an optical mouse to detect the movement of the floor relative to the vehicle (which was an idea I had but couldn't really pull off properly last year).
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.

rman

Post by rman » March 10th, 2009, 4:22 pm

gh wrote:I can't remember if it was a discussion here or a FAQ, but there was some trouble with last year's rules that made it ambiguously legal to use a sensor on an axle that is not powered, or using something like an optical mouse to detect the movement of the floor relative to the vehicle (which was an idea I had but couldn't really pull off properly last year).
So are you saying that there is no prohibition on using sensors that sense the external environment, or is the WIKI correct that sensors are illegal? I can't find any reference in the Rules Manual to sensors that sense the external environment (either legal or not), which according to SO general rules means that such sensors would be legal. But I am very wary of doing something that would ultimately get me second tiered, regardless if I disagree with the ruling or not.

Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre » March 10th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Last year, a rule clarification or FAQ (don't remember which) appeared for that...
Electric Vehicle - Div. C Para. 2.d.2 May a vehicle use light, or other sensors to detect its motion/position relative to the track, center tape and/or finish line?

No. Sensors used to detect external (to the vehicle) data are considered as "electronic aligning/sighting devices" and are prohibited in Para. 2.d. Devices used to detect/measure motion within the vehicle are permitted.
That meant that your vehicle could not use external data. So no lasers tracking your speed, not sensors detecting the finish line, etc.
You could, however, use sensors that did stuff like measure the number of times your axle rotated, since that is 'internal' data.

The same phrase is pretty much present in this year's rules too. While there isn't a clarification out there, I'd act like the previous one was true unless you submit the question and get a different response.

gh
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: NY

Post by gh » March 10th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Well, if it's not too late, you could always submit the specifics of your mechanism for clarification. However, since I don't see anything in the rules to disallow external-sensing sensors either, I guess there should be no problem. Still, I don't make these decisions.

Anyways, I think the real problem would be if people started to make vehicles with sensors to follow the line on the floor, which IIRC was considered illegal in the FAQs last year.

Edit
Well, DS beat me to the post.
Last edited by gh on March 10th, 2009, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: bleh, DS
“Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud.” —Sophocles
If you are looking to give help or get help:
[wiki][/wiki] > Forum post > > PM > Email
Don't forget the Image Gallery, the , and the list of Exalted User medals.

Return to “2009 Build Events”