Disease Detectives B/C

mc408
Division: C
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Disease Detectives B/C

Post by mc408 »

Those of you who have read the CDC textbook "Principles of Epidemiology" or any other textbook of similar depth, how comprehensively does it cover the breadth of information enumerated by the rules for the event? Is it necessary to go on Wikipedia to study any concepts in more depth or does the book provide a solid enough base of knowledge to the point at which simply doing a few practice tests thereafter will be sufficient preparation for states/nats?
Mentor High School
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

mc408 wrote:Those of you who have read the CDC textbook "Principles of Epidemiology" or any other textbook of similar depth, how comprehensively does it cover the breadth of information enumerated by the rules for the event? Is it necessary to go on Wikipedia to study any concepts in more depth or does the book provide a solid enough base of knowledge to the point at which simply doing a few practice tests thereafter will be sufficient preparation for states/nats?
I've read all of the most applicable parts and skimmed the rest. It's good supplementation, but it's not enough to use as your sole studying source. At the very least you should read it, then do some practice tests, then do some general studying on stuff in the practice tests that you didn't know.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
mc408

Post by mc408 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:
mc408 wrote:Those of you who have read the CDC textbook "Principles of Epidemiology" or any other textbook of similar depth, how comprehensively does it cover the breadth of information enumerated by the rules for the event? Is it necessary to go on Wikipedia to study any concepts in more depth or does the book provide a solid enough base of knowledge to the point at which simply doing a few practice tests thereafter will be sufficient preparation for states/nats?
I've read all of the most applicable parts and skimmed the rest. It's good supplementation, but it's not enough to use as your sole studying source. At the very least you should read it, then do some practice tests, then do some general studying on stuff in the practice tests that you didn't know.
Ah okay thank you. How long did it take you to read it?
Mentor High School
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

mc408 wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:
Ah okay thank you. How long did it take you to read it?
I read it off and on and took notes. It took me about 2 months of reading for about 1-2 hours per week.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

I find the CDC online book inadequate, but, more to the point, the print book I own is inadequate, too. This event really hits two different topics: epidemiology and biostatistics. You really need something for both. Well, then there's the topical stuff, which may be a third arm...I don't think you'll find everything under one roof anywhere.
Last edited by Skink on March 12th, 2017, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beyaffe
Division: B
State: NY

Post by Beyaffe »

Is there anyone willing to post a regional Disease Detectives B test? Do you think that the students will have to solve case studies or answer actual test questions for N.Y state?
They can't kill your dreams, so they assassinate your character...
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

Beyaffe wrote:Is there anyone willing to post a regional Disease Detectives B test? Do you think that the students will have to solve case studies or answer actual test questions for N.Y state?
There are plenty of tests in the test exchange (https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2017_ ... Physiology). If you haven't yet, be sure to check it out!
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

Beyaffe wrote:Is there anyone willing to post a regional Disease Detectives B test? Do you think that the students will have to solve case studies or answer actual test questions for N.Y state?
The way this event is intended to be written is that participants will be given a scenario (based on real data or otherwise) to analyze. The best tests will have only one scenario that teams really sink their teeth into. This is why it's in the very first block; it's understood that it takes longer to grade Disease Det tests on average than most other events!
Private Wang Fire

Post by Private Wang Fire »

Skink wrote: The way this event is intended to be written is that participants will be given a scenario (based on real data or otherwise) to analyze. The best tests will have only one scenario that teams really sink their teeth into. This is why it's in the very first block; it's understood that it takes longer to grade Disease Det tests on average than most other events!
Alternatively they could hit you up with 3+ scenarios, each full of a complete series of questions following the outbreak investigation from beginning to end, and laugh as you struggle to finish.
MASON HIGH SCHOOL '18
dcrxcode
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IN

Post by dcrxcode »

Private Wang Fire wrote:
Skink wrote: The way this event is intended to be written is that participants will be given a scenario (based on real data or otherwise) to analyze. The best tests will have only one scenario that teams really sink their teeth into. This is why it's in the very first block; it's understood that it takes longer to grade Disease Det tests on average than most other events!
Alternatively they could hit you up with 3+ scenarios, each full of a complete series of questions following the outbreak investigation from beginning to end, and laugh as you struggle to finish.
Sounds like every nationals disease detectives test ever.

Return to “2017 Study Events”