Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydrogeology C

Post by appleshake123 »

Unome wrote:
jakool6 wrote:Will Hydro be an event next year? #GreatEvent
Currently not. Fermi Questions is expected to rotate in (for some reason they're keeping Game On over Hydrogeo).
I wish they switch Fermi with game on. Then maybe tps with hydro
Bayard Rustin Class of 2018
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Class of 2022
Shock Value
It's About Time
Geologic Mapping
Dynamic Planet
Fermi
Hydrogeology
karissagarcia
Division: C
State: CA

Post by karissagarcia »

How do you find how long it will take for the introduced contaminant in part 3 to travel the nearest well? I've been trying to figure it out and I feel so dumb haha I think I'm overlooking it
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

karissagarcia wrote:How do you find how long it will take for the introduced contaminant in part 3 to travel the nearest well? I've been trying to figure it out and I feel so dumb haha I think I'm overlooking it
Just use the velocity you calculated in part 2 and the distance between the wells- normally the test will be lenient, and if you're within 2-3 orders of magnitude you'll be fine.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
driedmango
State: OH

Post by driedmango »

Our team went to UPenn this past weekend and the hydro test was surprisingly hard. Has anyone ever had to calculate evapotranspiration on a test before? Or the time at which baseflow will begin to recede? (Actually I'm not completely sure what the baseflow math question was...don't remember lol). I looked at the equation for calculating evapotranspiration and it's super complicated. Thoughts on weird hydro math? :?
WE DID IT
[b]Northview | Westlake | MIT | Centerville | Solon | Regionals | States | Nats!! [/b]
[i]Remote:[/i] - | 1 | 2 | 2 | 1 | 3 | 1 | 3 |
[i]Rocks:[/i] 7 | - | 3 | 1 | 2 | 1 | 4 | 8 |
[i]Thermo:[/i] 8 | 4 | 4 | - | 7 | 3 | 2 | 11 |
[i]Team:[/i] 1 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 2 |
appleshake123

Post by appleshake123 »

driedmango wrote:Our team went to UPenn this past weekend and the hydro test was surprisingly hard. Has anyone ever had to calculate evapotranspiration on a test before? Or the time at which baseflow will begin to recede? (Actually I'm not completely sure what the baseflow math question was...don't remember lol). I looked at the equation for calculating evapotranspiration and it's super complicated. Thoughts on weird hydro math? :?
I believe I saw that only once in another test last year, but they provided the answer. The equation to calculating evapotranspiration is Evapotranspiration rate = initial soil water volume + precipitation in lysiometer + irrigation water added - soil final water volume - excess moisture drained. At UPenn, we did not remember this equation, but we almost got the right answer by doing addition/subtraction that seemed to make sense, but we didn't subtract the excess moisture drained.
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
HandsFreeCookieDunk wrote:
Lumitailz wrote: I think there's a clickable button that says "reveal distance y" :D
Oh, that will still be there at the actual competition? I've never done this event before and I assumed that all the help was only for the practice site. Thanks.
You should theoretically be able to use trig to solve for it, however the scaled size of the map on the computer makes all the calculations wrong. Thus, at competitions they give you Y.
Indeed, Distance Y is typically given at almost all competitions. There was only one test last year that used a pencil-and-paper part 2 and we had to calculate distanace y using trig. It is pretty fun to do trig, but messing up the calculation for distance Y would mess up the rest of part 2 and possibly a little in part 3. Thus, competitions tend to focus more on concepts in hydrogeology than testing on a screw-up in calculations. But yes, competitions almost always provide Distance Y.
Last edited by appleshake123 on March 2nd, 2017, 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shock Value
It's About Time
Geologic Mapping
Dynamic Planet
Fermi
Hydrogeology
BigBrown
State: GA

Post by BigBrown »

Can anyone tell me what a bored well is? I think it's the same thing as a drilled well, I can't find a lot of information about the different types of well's besides USGS and there are some terms like drilled well that I can't match to reliable sources.
appleshake123

Post by appleshake123 »

BigBrown wrote:Can anyone tell me what a bored well is? I think it's the same thing as a drilled well, I can't find a lot of information about the different types of well's besides USGS and there are some terms like drilled well that I can't match to reliable sources.
I believe the main difference to be in their depth and width. Bored wells are drilled using an auger with a large diameter at shallow depths to the water table(perched or not). They are typically more sucseptible to contamination due to being closer to the surface. Drilled wells have a smaller diameter and dig deeper(maybe a couple hundred feet). There is less contamination at these wells mainly because of the depth. Also, seasonal influence is lessened due to the depth of the drill well versus the dug well. Searching drilled wells, bored wells etc. will yield results that are consistent with the information.
Shock Value
It's About Time
Geologic Mapping
Dynamic Planet
Fermi
Hydrogeology
AlbatrossTree

Post by AlbatrossTree »

For part 3 often times you are given multiple wells in the scenario. Ex. A,B,C are pumping, Well C was contaminated, and well D is not pumping. Which three wells should you use? Some invitationals have told you which ones to use. I know that the contaminated well (C) is supposed to be the highest well.
glasmacheru20
State: MI

Post by glasmacheru20 »

In the practice scenario online they give you what to put in each box and how to calculate most things, does anyone know if they keep that at competitions?
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

glasmacheru20 wrote:In the practice scenario online they give you what to put in each box and how to calculate most things, does anyone know if they keep that at competitions?
They keep most, although not all of it. It's mostly the same.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Return to “2017 Lab Events”