AlbatrossTree
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Rocks and Minerals B/C

Post by AlbatrossTree »

nicksalanitri wrote:
AlbatrossTree wrote:
nicksalanitri wrote:
Lol, Solon, Memorial and Magsig are pretty good at everything, those ohio tournaments are close to national level competition I heard.

As far as I could tell by looking at the WLS invitational raw scores it is mostly Mentor and Solon.

1st. Mentor 136 points
2nd. Solon 132 points
3rd. Centerville 108.5 points

That is a very large gap between the 2nd and 3rd. I do not know the total points on the test although I would believe it to be around 140-150 points.

Do you have a link to the test so I could possibly take it?

I currently do not have access to the tests
pilewithaface

Post by pilewithaface »

Lis_ara wrote:Hey guys!
Does anyone have an old copy of the Rocks and Minerals rules manual lying around (like from 2013 & 2014 season perhaps)? If so, can you post a link here? I'd like to get a general idea of what the event includes without having to buy the entire 2017 Division C event rules manual... and I'm sure many others feel the same :) Thank you!!! :D
All the rules are available on the Science Olympiad website, http://www.sciencenc.com/ . Personally, I like using the website better anyways because it seems to be updated more frequently. To get to the rules, go to the Event Resources tab, find your Division, and the Event should be under there. That'll take you to the rule page.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

pilewithaface wrote:
Lis_ara wrote:Hey guys!
Does anyone have an old copy of the Rocks and Minerals rules manual lying around (like from 2013 & 2014 season perhaps)? If so, can you post a link here? I'd like to get a general idea of what the event includes without having to buy the entire 2017 Division C event rules manual... and I'm sure many others feel the same :) Thank you!!! :D
All the rules are available on the Science Olympiad website, http://www.sciencenc.com/ . Personally, I like using the website better anyways because it seems to be updated more frequently. To get to the rules, go to the Event Resources tab, find your Division, and the Event should be under there. That'll take you to the rule page.
I seriously doubt that NCSO would post the rules publicly on their website in violation of NSO copyright (nor do I see them up there right now).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
farmerjoe279
Division: B
State: MO

Post by farmerjoe279 »

embokim wrote:This is a bit outdated but for some newcomers this site helped me with both entomology and rocks and minerals at regionals and states.
http://scioly.org/users/balsa/public/Sc ... index.html
You have to capitalize the first letter of every answer and a couple are misspelled but you can find a pattern after a couple minutes of playing around with this.
Could someone give me the link to this website. The one above does not work.
2020 Events (R, S, N)
Anatomy:
Designer Genes:
Machines:

2019 Events (R, S, N)
Anatomy: 1, 2, 13
Heredity: 2, 1, 15
Meteorology: 1, 1, 10
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

farmerjoe279 wrote:
embokim wrote:This is a bit outdated but for some newcomers this site helped me with both entomology and rocks and minerals at regionals and states.
http://scioly.org/users/balsa/public/Sc ... index.html
You have to capitalize the first letter of every answer and a couple are misspelled but you can find a pattern after a couple minutes of playing around with this.
Could someone give me the link to this website. The one above does not work.
I'm guessing it died after the recent site transition, I'd try asking the mods on the Site Transition Errors Thread
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
AlbatrossTree

Post by AlbatrossTree »

Anyone else notice that actinolite and tremolite are the same mineral with differing percentages of Magnesium and Iron? What could be used to differentiate?
dechirico

Post by dechirico »

Anyone else notice that actinolite and tremolite are the same mineral with differing percentages of Magnesium and Iron? What could be used to differentiate?
Well, tremolite is much cheaper, so it'll most likely be that in competitions :D
On a more specific note, I've noticed that actinolite is a slightly darker green than tremolite. It's mostly a toss-up, though. Minerals.net says that it's pretty much impossible without x-ray equipment.
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

dechirico wrote:
Well, tremolite is much cheaper, so it'll most likely be that in competitions :D
On a more specific note, I've noticed that actinolite is a slightly darker green than tremolite. It's mostly a toss-up, though. Minerals.net says that it's pretty much impossible without x-ray equipment.
It seems like actinolite is usually more fibrous than tremolite. Also, like dechrico said, the green color is darker, more like malachite or crystalline epidote. With tremolite, the color goes from white to pinkish to green, and only olivine to emerald beryl green.

Hope that no one has been touching tremolite or its varieties and not washing their hands! :)
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

Ie actually heard the opposite; That actinolite is LESS fibrous than tremolite and can even (rarely) be found in crystals clear enough to be used as gems.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
dechirico

Post by dechirico »

Any advice distinguishing diatomite from chalk? I don't have a Rocks & Min box to practice with, so I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty in physical identification.

Return to “2017 Study Events”