Illinois 2017

Shadow_Rider
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Illinois 2017

Post by Shadow_Rider »

HeavyHitter406 wrote:I'm interested to see whether Twin Groves will be in division AA or not at state. As far as I know, they haven't performed well enough at State to be granted AA status. I mean, I hadn't even heard of them before this year. They could seriously make a bid for the second nationals spot in B! This team comes out of nowhere and placed less than 20 points behind MM?!?!. Between Daniel Wright, Marie Murphy, Twin Groves, and SAA, this promises to be an intense battle for two spots at State.
I am from Twin Groves, and this is our school's third year in science olympiad. We got 6th last year at state, and 15th(?) in our first year.
Selundar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Selundar »

I'm also from Twin Groves. Our first year we got 12th (and 6th is correct for last year), and have always been in AA. We are a feeder school for Stevenson. However, we have received minimal support from their team. The only help we got was that a couple of their members who used to go to TG came to a couple Saturday practices, but that really did not influence the results very much. Ashernoel commented (sorry I don't know how to quote it) that we seemed to take a lot of firsts off MM. We got 8 first places and MM took 9, so the medal count was very close in that respect. We are all very proud of our performance at Regionals and hope to do very well at State as well.
aeshs '21
HeavyHitter406

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

Selundar wrote:I'm also from Twin Groves. Our first year we got 12th (and 6th is correct for last year), and have always been in AA. We are a feeder school for Stevenson. However, we have received minimal support from their team. The only help we got was that a couple of their members who used to go to TG came to a couple Saturday practices, but that really did not influence the results very much. Ashernoel commented (sorry I don't know how to quote it) that we seemed to take a lot of firsts off MM. We got 8 first places and MM took 9, so the medal count was very close in that respect. We are all very proud of our performance at Regionals and hope to do very well at State as well.
As you should be! For only a third year team, you guys are performing extraordinarily well, and it's amazing you made it to state in your first year as well. I am rather surprised you were placed in AA your first year at state. My team (Beacon) just made it to state for the first time yesterday (in our second year as a team and only our third year as a school), and I was under the impression a team's placement into AA was based on the past two years of state rankings. I was hoping that would guarantee us to be in A for the next two years, but perhaps they've changed the system.
2014 (Wright State/Lisle/Grayslake/Regionals/State/Nationals)

Water Quality: 8/1/2/1/2/3
Experimental Design: 12/1/5/5/8/37
Road Scholar: 12/2/2/3/3/11
Wheeled Vehicle: 32/6/6/2/11/5
Selundar

Post by Selundar »

HeavyHitter406 wrote:
Selundar wrote:I'm also from Twin Groves. Our first year we got 12th (and 6th is correct for last year), and have always been in AA. We are a feeder school for Stevenson. However, we have received minimal support from their team. The only help we got was that a couple of their members who used to go to TG came to a couple Saturday practices, but that really did not influence the results very much. Ashernoel commented (sorry I don't know how to quote it) that we seemed to take a lot of firsts off MM. We got 8 first places and MM took 9, so the medal count was very close in that respect. We are all very proud of our performance at Regionals and hope to do very well at State as well.
As you should be! For only a third year team, you guys are performing extraordinarily well, and it's amazing you made it to state in your first year as well. I am rather surprised you were placed in AA your first year at state. My team (Beacon) just made it to state for the first time yesterday (in our second year as a team and only our third year as a school), and I was under the impression a team's placement into AA was based on the past two years of state rankings. I was hoping that would guarantee us to be in A for the next two years, but perhaps they've changed the system.
Congrats on making it to state! Division C was a very hard competition at Oakton. From what I know, placement in A/AA depends on the team's previous performances at state, how well they did at their regional, and how competitive the regional was. At least, that's what it says on the SciOly wiki page for Illinois.
aeshs '21
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Twin Groves is a really interesting team because they came out of nowhere and, if you pay close attention to their results, have a strategy. When they're on the board, it's often first place. They relatively bomb other events, but the team score works out because the averages are favorable. As for top two, however, it's still DW and MM. S&A isn't strong enough to take second but is well ahead of TG.

Finding out that TG is another Stevenson feeder is an interesting tidbit. I knew Stevenson was large, but it never occurred to me to consider where their other participants were coming from...
Selundar

Post by Selundar »

Skink wrote:Twin Groves is a really interesting team because they came out of nowhere and, if you pay close attention to their results, have a strategy. When they're on the board, it's often first place. They relatively bomb other events, but the team score works out because the averages are favorable. As for top two, however, it's still DW and MM. S&A isn't strong enough to take second but is well ahead of TG.

Finding out that TG is another Stevenson feeder is an interesting tidbit. I knew Stevenson was large, but it never occurred to me to consider where their other participants were coming from...
Well, I wouldn't really say that bombing some events is our strategy :lol: . There are just some events that need a little bit of work. I plan on encouraging them to work as hard as they can, and hope my team follows. In regard to S&A, I personally look at them as our rival (I'm not sure if the rest of my team would agree). I think our teams are fairly equal. At Lisle, we were just one point behind S&A, which you can check on Avogadro. At Grayslake, there were just a handful of events that did not perform as well as we would like. I agree that DW and MM are probably still the top two, but I think 3rd at state is a realistic goal for my team.
aeshs '21
ericlepanda

Post by ericlepanda »

Selundar wrote:
Skink wrote:Twin Groves is a really interesting team because they came out of nowhere and, if you pay close attention to their results, have a strategy. When they're on the board, it's often first place. They relatively bomb other events, but the team score works out because the averages are favorable. As for top two, however, it's still DW and MM. S&A isn't strong enough to take second but is well ahead of TG.

Well, I wouldn't really say that bombing some events is our strategy :lol: . There are just some events that need a little bit of work. I plan on encouraging them to work as hard as they can, and hope my team follows. In regard to S&A, I personally look at them as our rival (I'm not sure if the rest of my team would agree). I think our teams are fairly equal. At Lisle, we were just one point behind S&A, which you can check on Avogadro. At Grayslake, there were just a handful of events that did not perform as well as we would like. I agree that DW and MM are probably still the top two, but I think 3rd at state is a realistic goal for my team.
You guys managed to beat us in a lot of events that we usually do really really well in. State should be interesting.

Also, why does your JV hate us so much? Those beach balls were slightly annoying.
ntso
quack quack
Selundar

Post by Selundar »

ericlepanda wrote: You guys managed to beat us in a lot of events that we usually do really really well in. State should be interesting.

Also, why does your JV hate us so much? Those beach balls were slightly annoying.
I'm assuming you're from Marie Murphy? We do have a handful of events that we excel in. It'll be interesting to see how we compare at state. I'm not exactly sure about the JV team, but your JV team getting first in almost every event might have something to do with it. Those beach balls were the best :lol: . I definitely did not expect that as the entertainment before the awards ceremony.
aeshs '21
HeavyHitter406

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

Selundar wrote:

I don't know about the rest of your team, but SAA certainly views your team as rivals. My younger sibling is on SAA's team, and they are specifically worrying about Ecology; they were used to getting first before you guys placed ahead of them! Though I still favor my old school, you certainly do have a good chance of placing third at state. It's been a while since the top was this crowded in Illinois B; I remember in 2014 it seemed like Grayslake was the next up-and-coming team (they roared out of nowhere during the year and placed fourth in the state), but they have rather fallen off the past several years. If you guys keep it up, then Illinois may have the best top four around in B.
2014 (Wright State/Lisle/Grayslake/Regionals/State/Nationals)

Water Quality: 8/1/2/1/2/3
Experimental Design: 12/1/5/5/8/37
Road Scholar: 12/2/2/3/3/11
Wheeled Vehicle: 32/6/6/2/11/5
Ashernoel
Division: Grad

Post by Ashernoel »

ericlepanda wrote:
Selundar wrote:

You guys managed to beat us in a lot of events that we usually do really really well in. State should be interesting.

Yea I'm not sure if Ericlepanda got first in ecology :O stunner
NT '19
Harvard '23

Return to “2017 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”