Wright Stuff B

freed2003
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Wright Stuff B

Post by freed2003 »

Just got it in the mail. The instructions are short and it looks real easy to build. I heard it can get over 2 minutes if build well so definitely a good investment for the price.
BEARSO/MIT/High Desert/Regionals/State?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
SciHC101
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SciHC101 »

Sounds good - thanks
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

freed2003 wrote:Would positive incidence on the stabilizer be a bad thing? The freedom flight kit instructs to add a shim beneath the leading edge to give a positive incidence, but wouldn't the cause the plane to go down?
As long as the incidence of the wing is greater, would this be ok? Like the same way down thrust works?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
arman1320

Post by arman1320 »

What are people's longest flight times so far? This can help us know our competition
Mine is around 1:30 and I cant get the freedom flights kit to work
wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

arman1320 wrote:What are people's longest flight times so far? This can help us know our competition
Mine is around 1:30 and I cant get the freedom flights kit to work
You need to know more information than just flight time...

What was ceiling height? Was it a no-touch flight or did the plane hit several times (and get lucky)?
1:30 is still a reasonable time and will be upper mid range at most competitions I have experienced.
It will all depend on the ceiling (and technique of the competitors).

I have witnessed a couple 2:50+ flights in a 35' gym with several ceiling hits. Our team has also managed 2:59 in a 26' ceiling without touching. That being said, I think it will be a challenge to get over 3:30 regardless of the ceiling height. Our partial motor testing has yielded 1:47 (no touch) on a 0.75g motor in 26' ceiling which would simulate a 52' height and yield a time estimate of 3:34
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

What time would you need to medal at most states? Is SoCal competitive in wright stuff?
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
JasperKota
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by JasperKota »

freed2003 wrote:What time would you need to medal at most states? Is SoCal competitive in wright stuff?
SoCal in general is a very competitive state, and I've heard a time of well over 3 minutes in that area. Builds are always unpredictable though, you don't know if their wing spar will break last minute or their covering completely rips.
wlsguy wrote:You need to know more information than just flight time...

What was ceiling height? Was it a no-touch flight or did the plane hit several times (and get lucky)?
1:30 is still a reasonable time and will be upper mid range at most competitions I have experienced.
It will all depend on the ceiling (and technique of the competitors).

I have witnessed a couple 2:50+ flights in a 35' gym with several ceiling hits. Our team has also managed 2:59 in a 26' ceiling without touching. That being said, I think it will be a challenge to get over 3:30 regardless of the ceiling height. Our partial motor testing has yielded 1:47 (no touch) on a 0.75g motor in 26' ceiling which would simulate a 52' height and yield a time estimate of 3:34
With a 23-24 ft height gym, at a State level competition, what would a medal-contending time be? I have two more practice sessions before states, so I doubt I can drastically improve my times before then, which is ranging around 100 to 115 seconds.
2020 Events: Fossils, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff, Ping Pong Parachute
2019 Events: Fossils, Mousetrap Vehicle, Wright Stuff
2018 Events: Helicopters, Mousetrap Vehicle, Parasitology, WIDI
2017 Events: Ecology, Invasives, Wright Stuff
2016 Events: Crave the Wave, Dynamic Planet, Invasives
freed2003

Post by freed2003 »

At San Diego they had a 25 feet tall building and the winning time was 2:27 and second placesplaces was around 2:17
Cybersecurity 3/ /2/1
Codebusters 6/2/1/1
Circuit lab 77/20/3/1
Machines / /2/1
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

The 2017 WS competition for the San Diego SO region took place in the smaller gym at Carlsbad HS.

You can view a video of the gold medal flight by clicking on this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAd5i51i04s

I watched that flight in person. The height to the lowest obstruction in that gym was no more than 20 - 22 feet.

The San Diego SO region is extremely competitive in the flying events every year. Because there are almost 200 Division B and Division C teams, the San Diego regional Division B and Division C competitions are held on different dates (two weeks apart) in February at different locations.

Approximately 80 teams competed in the 2017 San Diego Division B regional WS competition. The winners of the flying events at the San Diego regional competitions usually go on to win the flying events at the SoCal State SO competition held in April.
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

See my last post.

The height to the light fixtures in the smaller gym at Carlsbad HS where the 2017 San Diego regional WS competition too place was no more than about 20 - 22 feet.

The height to the bottom of the audio speakers in the middle of the gym was much lower.

The winning team was from Black Mountain MS.

Return to “Wright Stuff B”