Towers B/C

reed303
Has thanked: 0

Re: Towers B/C

Post by reed303 »

Stear wrote:I don't know about the rest of you guys and girls, but this season of science olympiad is over for me. My state tournament ending a couple weeks ago and I managed to place 2nd in Towers with the help of this forum thread. For that, I would like to say thank you to everyone. Towers has been my most favorite event for this year and after coming home I looked at all of the balsa wood events for the last ten years. From my observations I have concluded that Towers will stay for the next year. My question is for all of you people who have participated in the balsa wood events; do the rules for the balsa wood events change during the second year of their cycle? Something that you guys could think about is if the rules for Bridges in 2014-2015 were different from the rules in 2015-2016.
The last 2 years were Bridges, and the 2 before that were Boomilevers. And yes every years has some changes. One of this years was the Bonus circle.

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... n_B_Events
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
Random Human
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by Random Human »

Stear wrote:I don't know about the rest of you guys and girls, but this season of science olympiad is over for me. My state tournament ending a couple weeks ago and I managed to place 2nd in Towers with the help of this forum thread. For that, I would like to say thank you to everyone. Towers has been my most favorite event for this year and after coming home I looked at all of the balsa wood events for the last ten years. From my observations I have concluded that Towers will stay for the next year. My question is for all of you people who have participated in the balsa wood events; do the rules for the balsa wood events change during the second year of their cycle? Something that you guys could think about is if the rules for Bridges in 2014-2015 were different from the rules in 2015-2016.
there will be a three year cycle for towers
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
Stear

Post by Stear »

reed303 wrote:
The last 2 years were Bridges, and the 2 before that were Boomilevers. And yes every years has some changes. One of this years was the Bonus circle.

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Compr ... n_B_Events
My question is whether or not there will be any changes to the rules for Towers next year compared to this year's rules.
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

I can tell you that for the last 17 years, there has always been a change each year, even if the structure (tower, boom, bridge) stays the same.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
baker
State: NY

Post by baker »

Rule #1 for build events....
Read the rules, READ THIS YEAR'S RULES.
Dohnnovan
Division: B
State: CA

Post by Dohnnovan »

Welp, had my state competition today and I took the alternative spot so I built the tower for the team to compete with, and they broke it before they even competed, how unfortunate.
Ukiah High School '20
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach

Post by Balsa Man »

Dohnnovan wrote:Welp, had my state competition today and I took the alternative spot so I built the tower for the team to compete with, and they broke it before they even competed, how unfortunate.
That's a real bummer, sorry to hear
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
random-username

Post by random-username »

How varied can the weights of the legs of the tower be? Mine are usually around 1.5g, but would it be bad if some sticks were 1.4, or is that too much of a difference?
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach

Post by Balsa Man »

random-username wrote:How varied can the weights of the legs of the tower be? Mine are usually around 1.5g, but would it be bad if some sticks were 1.4, or is that too much of a difference?
If you're working/trying to get tower weight down, you want as closely a matched set as you can get out of your wood supply.
Remember, it is the buckling strength that matters. So, one of the legs will be the weakest. For the tower to carry close to full load, that buckling strength needs to be sufficient with the bracing interval you're using. You want the other three to be the next 3 lightest that have the required buckling strength.

There can be- there is- significant variation at a given stick weight. There are for instance, 1.4s with buckling strength comparable to good 1.5s. There are at any density sticks with a lot less buckling strength than the good ones.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
Dohnnovan
Division: B
State: CA

Post by Dohnnovan »

Balsa Man wrote:
Dohnnovan wrote:Welp, had my state competition today and I took the alternative spot so I built the tower for the team to compete with, and they broke it before they even competed, how unfortunate.
That's a real bummer, sorry to hear
Yeah, had a fun time though and that's what matters. Overall as a team we improved by 8 spots.
Ukiah High School '20

Return to “Towers B/C”