Anatomy & Physiology B/C

farmerjoe279
Division: B
State: MO
Has thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Post by farmerjoe279 »

Nerd_Bunny wrote:Do you guys think that all of the hormones given in the study handout with each organ are enough to study? Or are there more hormones that should be included?
For regionals, you should probably just learn those and their functions. For state you will probably need to learn more. For nats, you should priabaly know how they all are made ad their functions. For state you probably should hypo/hyper secretion for the basic hormones, what the ysmptoms are and what disease that might be.
2020 Events (R, S, N)
Anatomy:
Designer Genes:
Machines:

2019 Events (R, S, N)
Anatomy: 1, 2, 13
Heredity: 2, 1, 15
Meteorology: 1, 1, 10
Nerd_Bunny
Division: C
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

farmerjoe279 wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:Do you guys think that all of the hormones given in the study handout with each organ are enough to study? Or are there more hormones that should be included?
For regionals, you should probably just learn those and their functions. For state you will probably need to learn more. For nats, you should priabaly know how they all are made ad their functions. For state you probably should hypo/hyper secretion for the basic hormones, what the ysmptoms are and what disease that might be.
Ok. Thank you!
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
sciolyFTW_aku
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

Hello,

Does Wallerian degeneration occur in both the PNS and CNS, or just the CNS? Wikipedia says both, a majority refer to it occurring in peripheral nerves.

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
B-)
mc408
State: OH

Post by mc408 »

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:Hello,

Does Wallerian degeneration occur in both the PNS and CNS, or just the CNS? Wikipedia says both, a majority refer to it occurring in peripheral nerves.

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
It seems that it does occur in both. However, microglia recruitment is slow and oligodendrocytes fail to degrade the myelin/other debris, so WD occurs much slower in the CNS than in the PNS. I find it rather strange that many sites describe it as unique to the PNS, as peer reviewed articles like this one (http://journals.plos.org/plosone/articl ... ne.0041441) are studying its mechanisms in the CNS.
Mentor High School
JoJoKeKe

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Hey, everyone! I'm sure you get this question often, but what resources do you recommend for this event? Our family owns a copy of Gray's Anatomy, but other than that not too many anatomical books. Do you recommend using Wikipedia in conjunction with other sites? Quizlet? I know that diagrams will be useful as well.

Thanks for your help- (I'm going to be heading to Missouri this weekend, and learned I'll actually be passing by Ladue for all you in MO!)
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
sciencepeeps
State: IL

Post by sciencepeeps »

JoJoKeKe wrote:Hey, everyone! I'm sure you get this question often, but what resources do you recommend for this event? Our family owns a copy of Gray's Anatomy, but other than that not too many anatomical books. Do you recommend using Wikipedia in conjunction with other sites? Quizlet? I know that diagrams will be useful as well.

Thanks for your help- (I'm going to be heading to Missouri this weekend, and learned I'll actually be passing by Ladue for all you in MO!)
I know that I'm studying only the Div B topics, but Mader's Understanding of Huuman Anatomy and Physiology seems to cover all the topics that you need to know. Of course, it would be good to use more than one source. Wikipedia is good to start, and the more you look into online materials, you can find more sources. Grey's Anatomy is a good textbook as well.
18/19 Anatomy, Boomilever, widi

17/18 region/state/nation
Anatomy (2/6/-)
Mystery Architecture (-/2/-)
Towers (3/2/3)
Invitationals: 38
Regionals:11
State:6
Nationals:1
Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Did anyone notice that the Mesa-Wilson invitational test on the test exchange doesn't have an answer key? I'd like to use it to study but I don't feel like researching every answer.
States/Nats
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by NeilMehta »

Nerd_Bunny wrote:Did anyone notice that the Mesa-Wilson invitational test on the test exchange doesn't have an answer key? I'd like to use it to study but I don't feel like researching every answer.
Yes, the key is definitely missing. However, some of the best studying occurs when you look for answers on your own. I would suggest taking the test anyway and putting in the effort to research the answers, because it will make learning and absorbing new information much easier.
Then again, if you're on a shortage of time, it's much better to just find a new one.
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
sciolyFTW_aku

Post by sciolyFTW_aku »

Hi,

Has anyone seen questions regarding the spinal nerves (other than the general gist of the plexuses) on any test so far? I'm debating whether I should spend a large amount of time on this, or move onto something more productive.

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
B-)
Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

sciolyFTW_aku wrote:Hi,

Has anyone seen questions regarding the spinal nerves (other than the general gist of the plexuses) on any test so far? I'm debating whether I should spend a large amount of time on this, or move onto something more productive.

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
On my test, I did not. Although I did see plenty about cranial nerves.
States/Nats

Return to “2017 Study Events”