Remote Sensing C

hearthstone224
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Remote Sensing C

Post by hearthstone224 »

windu, what is your reasoning for that answer? I thought it would be that as well since you would think the CO2 would trap heat, or something?

The answer was actually that it doesn't change the energy flux at all.
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Mat Sci-> Second at regionals
RSensing -> First at regionals
Towers-> Third at regionals.
hearthstone224
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by hearthstone224 »

What a way to end the season!

Not only did we beat Stevenson (good team), we were able to come first out of all 12 teams at our regionals! Sounds like little but it means so much to me.

Thank you everyone for your help. You really helped me get what I got today. Good luck to all the competitors out there!
End of freshman season. Good luck to everyone! No state for us, but nevertheless great season. Regional was out of 12 teams. (CLC)

Mat Sci-> Second at regionals
RSensing -> First at regionals
Towers-> Third at regionals.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I have come across two sets of time gaps between the A-Train satellites - one measured in seconds, which is prominently displayed on several NASA-produced images, and the one in the Wikipedia article, with vastly different (and much longer) gaps. Does anyone know which of these is correct, and which is better to use as answers?
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Unome wrote:I have come across two sets of time gaps between the A-Train satellites - one measured in seconds, which is prominently displayed on several NASA-produced images, and the one in the Wikipedia article, with vastly different (and much longer) gaps. Does anyone know which of these is correct, and which is better to use as answers?
Wait; are the measurement in this image measured in arcseconds, and not time? I think the Wikipedia article might be talking about time in the bullet points.

Also, does anyone know whether CloudSat or CALIPSO is in front? I've heard different things here as well.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
jonboyage
State: PA

Post by jonboyage »

Unome wrote:
Unome wrote:I have come across two sets of time gaps between the A-Train satellites - one measured in seconds, which is prominently displayed on several NASA-produced images, and the one in the Wikipedia article, with vastly different (and much longer) gaps. Does anyone know which of these is correct, and which is better to use as answers?
Wait; are the measurement in this image measured in arcseconds, and not time? I think the Wikipedia article might be talking about time in the bullet points.

Also, does anyone know whether CloudSat or CALIPSO is in front? I've heard different things here as well.

Looking at the NASA website (https://atrain.gsfc.nasa.gov/atrainsats.php), Cloudsat comes after CALIPSO. About the times, if you visit the NASA website, each satellite has its own 17 page pdf about all the information on that satellite. In the Aura pdf, it says " Aura is the trailing spacecraft in the formation and lags 15 minutes behind Aqua." However, with the exception of OCO-2, it doesn't state the times for other satellites. Despite this, I tend to believe Wikipedia for the reason that it was correct on two satellites, and that test-makers also probably tend to trust Wikipedia for quick specific information like this.
I was in a bin

Rustin '19
UPenn '23
Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

Obviously it's important to know info about the A-Train, but would it be worthwhile to know every instrument on every satellite in the A-Train?
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Alex-RCHS wrote:Obviously it's important to know info about the A-Train, but would it be worthwhile to know every instrument on every satellite in the A-Train?
Absolutely yes
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Ive been getting mixed answers on this: Which satellites (and how many) of the A Train are active?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Unome

Post by Unome »

windu34 wrote:Ive been getting mixed answers on this: Which satellites (and how many) of the A Train are active?
I've seen 6 currently active (Aura, Aqua, CALIPSO, GCOM-W1, CloudSat, OCO-2). I'm pretty sure none of the planned additions (GCOM series) launch for a year or two.
Userpage

Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

So I was talking to my friend who does this event about what appears to be an ambiguity in the rules. I did submit an FAQ however they have not answered it. The rules state "each participant may bring one front and back 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper" (or something along those lines). I took that to mean that, because each team may have up to two students competing, each team may have two front and back sheets. However, he said it would only be one. He also said at competitions he saw other teams only had one sheet. What do you guys think- is one or two sheets allowed for competition?
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.

Return to “2017 Study Events”