Astronomy C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Astronomy C

Post by Adi1008 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Since we've been doing math I'll shift it back towards DSOs:

1. Which DSO is depicted in this image? What galaxy is it in?
2. This DSO was especially bright in a particular wavelength, which is the wavelength used in the image above. Which wavelength is this?
3. The occurrence of this DSO gave insight into the progenitors of events like this. What, most likely, was the progenitor system of this DSO? Be specific.
4. Why was this event so important to cosmology and the field of astronomy as a whole?
1. SN 2011fe, Pinwheel Galaxy
2. Ultraviolet
3. The progenitor system was not a double degenerate, and the companion to the C/O white dwarf was most likely a relatively low mass main sequence star
4. It was a very "normal" type Ia supernova that was observed very early and accurately. As a result, it could be used to test models and ultimately provides a point of reference in the field
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Has thanked: 0

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Adi1008 wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:Since we've been doing math I'll shift it back towards DSOs:

2. This DSO was especially bright in a particular wavelength, which is the wavelength used in the image above. Which wavelength is this?
3. The occurrence of this DSO gave insight into the progenitors of events like this. What, most likely, was the progenitor system of this DSO? Be specific.
4. Why was this event so important to cosmology and the field of astronomy as a whole?
2. Ultraviolet
3. The progenitor system was not a double degenerate, and the companion to the C/O white dwarf was most likely a relatively low mass main sequence star
4. It was a very "normal" type Ia supernova that was observed very early and accurately. As a result, it could be used to test models and ultimately provides a point of reference in the field
Good answer to (3). Your turn.
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
Adi1008

Post by Adi1008 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:

2. Ultraviolet

Determine which one(s), if any, are Type Ia supernovae
Stanford University
Magikarpmaster629
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Magikarpmaster629 »

Adi1008 wrote:
Only A is an SN Ia (I think)
Ladue Science Olympiad (2014ish-2017)

A wild goose flies over a pond, leaving behind a voice in the wind.
A man passes through this world, leaving behind a name.
Ashernoel
State: IL

Post by Ashernoel »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:
yea. B is II, C is Ic, and D is Ib
NT '19
Harvard '23
Ashernoel

Post by Ashernoel »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:

2. Ultraviolet
The emission spectrum has ruled out the option of a single degenerate progenitor
https://arxiv.org/abs/1502.00646
https://arxiv.org/abs/1111.0966
and that it was double degenerate.
NT '19
Harvard '23
Ashernoel

Post by Ashernoel »

1. What is the catalog number of this object?
2. Which planetary nebula resides in this object?
3. What type of variable can be found and how many pulsars are within this object?
4. Why are there so few PN observed within the DSO?

NT '19
Harvard '23
Adi1008

Post by Adi1008 »

Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:
You got it!
Ashernoel wrote:1. What is the catalog number of this object?
2. Which planetary nebula resides in this object?
3. What type of variable can be found and how many pulsars are within this object?
4. Why are there so few PN observed within the DSO?

1. Messier 15 or NGC 7078 or GCl 120
2. Pease 1
3. 112 variable stars and 8 pulsars. I'd imagine RR Lyrae stars? There's at least one W Virginis star 
4. They may require more massive progenitors (or systems) to form, which are rarer, and planetary nebulae are relatively transient, being visible for only about 50,000 years
Ashernoel wrote:The emission spectrum has ruled out the option of a single degenerate progenitor
From what I understand, there's a fair amount of controversy surrounding the topic. In general, any one research paper saying something doesn't mean it's true
Stanford University
Ashernoel

Post by Ashernoel »

Adi1008 wrote:
1. Messier 15 or NGC 7078 or GCl 120
2. Pease 1
3. 112 variable stars and 8 pulsars. I'd imagine RR Lyrae stars? There's at least one W Virginis star 
4. They may require more massive progenitors (or systems) to form, which are rarer, and planetary nebulae are relatively transient, being visible for only about 50,000 years
Ashernoel wrote:The emission spectrum has ruled out the option of a single degenerate progenitor
From what I understand, there's a fair amount of controversy surrounding the topic. In general, any one research paper saying something doesn't mean it's true
For 1 be careful to only list the catalog number ... If I could rewrite the question I would make it more clear by asking for the New General Catalog (hoping someone would say 1846 xD)
2 = good
For 3 I was thinking RR Lyrae, but my bad its not the best question.
For 4, nice wording ;) I think someone that created a test for a California invitational that you guys one that had identical phrasing ;)
If it comes up on the nats test, should we cite research papers in our answer? Or say there is controversy? Idk what to do.

Edit: And now its your turn again :D
NT '19
Harvard '23
Adi1008

Post by Adi1008 »

Ashernoel wrote:For 1 be careful to only list the catalog number
For what it's worth, Messier, NGC, 2MASS, etc are all different types of catalogs, not just NGC. Writing Messier 15, for example, is just writing the designation of that object in the Catalog of Nebulae and Star Clusters by Messier. Similarly, writing NGC 7078 is just writing the designation of that object in the New General Catalogue. I think it would have been more clear if you had specified that you wanted the designation of M15 in the New General Catalogue, which is NGC 7078.
Ashernoel wrote:For 4, nice wording ;) I think someone that created a test for a California invitational that you guys one that had identical phrasing ;)
Indeed haha xD
Ashernoel wrote:If it comes up on the nats test, should we cite research papers in our answer? Or say there is controversy? Idk what to do.
I don't know either, but from my (admittedly limited) experience at nationals I feel like they'd try to not have a very controversial question in the first place (or phrase it in a way that there are multiple theories to reduce confusion)

Here's my question:

The figure above plots core temperature vs. density for a sun-like star. The dashed line marks the boundary between nondegeneracy and degeneracy

a. Which letter represents the onset of core helium fusion?
b. Which letter(s) represents a possible location of our Sun on thisplot?
c. Which side of the dashed line (left or right) represents a degenerate core?
d. Which letter best represents SAO244567?
e. During which letter (that is, stage of stellar evolution) does this sun-like star spend the most time?
f. Which letter represents the stage where the star undergoes thermal pulses?
g. The luminosity of this star (increases/decreases) going from A to B
h. The luminosity of this star (increases/decreases) going from D to E
i. Which letter(s) represent the location of the object depicted in the image below?

Stanford University

Return to “2017 Question Marathons”