windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Unofficial Rankings C

Post by windu34 »

kenniky wrote: 13. Boca Raton - stepping it up, builds are op, did well at MIT
This is where I predict us based on results from this year as well...seems like a stretch to me though
kenniky wrote: 21. Iolani - how do they get their builds here without breaking them
We always fly and check them in on the plane and I didn't have any problems last year. I also design my builds with the flight in mind so I have a game plan when it comes time to pack
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Ashernoel
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by Ashernoel »

Idk if any other team ever experiences this but on NT we have a few people that don't really try and have a negative mindset so people aren't preparing that much. Also our EV can't get double digits negative and robot arm can't perfect score. Honestly, 8th is probably pretty high for us. We probably peaked around wright state and then the team energy went down :(

Especially with how strong Clements and a lot of the other teams are, we probably will sit in low teens
NT '19
Harvard '23
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Ashernoel wrote:Idk if any other team ever experiences this but on NT we have a few people that don't really try and have a negative mindset so people aren't preparing that much. Also our EV can't get double digits negative and robot arm can't perfect score. Honestly, 8th is probably pretty high for us. We probably peaked around wright state and then the team energy went down :(

Especially with how strong Clements and a lot of the other teams are, we probably will sit in low teens
Perfect score for robot is not readily obtainable at all this year. Id be surprised to see more than 1 or 2 teams achieve it. Double digit negative on EV is a little easier, but again maybe top 6 or top 10 will achieve - wouldn't expect more than that
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

kenniky wrote:1. Troy - duh
2. Mira Loma - great performance at Nats last year
3. Harriton - 2nd at Nats last year, 3rd at MIT. I think they sandbagged Penn and Princeton?
4. Solon - always a strong contender for a top spot
5. LASA - obligatory Texas is good
6. Northville - strong Wright State on top of being a generally decent team
7. Stevenson - idk much about these guys but this seems ok
8. New Trier - strong MIT + Wright State
9. Mentor - obligatory Ohio is good. they died at Wright State though... ?
10. Acton-Boxborough - pls
11. Chattahoochee - good MIT performance. losing to Brookwood at states is kinda sketch though
12. Mounds View - falling but probably still around this level? I could see them anywhere from 9th to 14th
13. Boca Raton - stepping it up, builds are op, did well at MIT
14. Clements - Clements is good but they don't do so well at Nationals usually. they lost to Boca Raton at MIT so I put them here
15. West Windsor-Plainsboro South - being new to Nationals since the last few years probably means they'll underperform, I could see them going up to 10th though
16. Fayetteville-Manlius - unome likes them lol. NY doesn't tend to do super well at Nats though (F-M didn't even top 20 last year); however, they did decent at Penn and beat Bayard Rustin at Mentor
17. Munster - did bad at Wright State and also didn't go to Nats last year. Maybe they'll pull an upset though?
18. the other Pennsylvania team - I literally can't tell where these guys are at but this seems like a safe bet. If it's Bayard Rustin they might be higher because they did well last year but everyone else looks strong
19. Columbia - they usually do about this well. I'd put them higher but it seems kind of unrealistic
20. Fossil Ridge - sleeper pick, they did decently last year
21. Iolani - how do they get their builds here without breaking them
-Why Solon below Harriton? They've been doing really well this season.
-Munster that low seems really unrealistic considering how ridiculously well they did at state.
-Why do you get the impression I like F-M? (revising my predictions, I'd put them at 11th behind Stevenson and Clements)
-Boca Raton: doesn't seem any better than last year; same goes for Chattahoochee. I'd expect no higher than 15th for either. Also looking at the MIT scores, Clements at full strength (no-shows) would have placed 8th or 9th.
Ashernoel wrote:Idk if any other team ever experiences this but on NT we have a few people that don't really try and have a negative mindset so people aren't preparing that much. Also our EV can't get double digits negative and robot arm can't perfect score. Honestly, 8th is probably pretty high for us. We probably peaked around wright state and then the team energy went down :(

You're lucky it's only a few. Re: EV I doubt we've ever gotten single digit negatives, and Robot Arm I echo windu, that's really difficult this year. I agree though, I wouldn't rank NT higher than 12th or 13th.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
kenniky
State: MA
Been thanked: 0

Post by kenniky »

Unome wrote:
kenniky wrote:1. Troy - duh
3. Harriton - 2nd at Nats last year, 3rd at MIT. I think they sandbagged Penn and Princeton?
8. New Trier - strong MIT + Wright State
9. Mentor - obligatory Ohio is good. they died at Wright State though... ?
11. Chattahoochee - good MIT performance. losing to Brookwood at states is kinda sketch though
12. Mounds View - falling but probably still around this level? I could see them anywhere from 9th to 14th
13. Boca Raton - stepping it up, builds are op, did well at MIT
14. Clements - Clements is good but they don't do so well at Nationals usually. they lost to Boca Raton at MIT so I put them here
15. West Windsor-Plainsboro South - being new to Nationals since the last few years probably means they'll underperform, I could see them going up to 10th though
16. Fayetteville-Manlius - unome likes them lol. NY doesn't tend to do super well at Nats though (F-M didn't even top 20 last year); however, they did decent at Penn and beat Bayard Rustin at Mentor
17. Munster - did bad at Wright State and also didn't go to Nats last year. Maybe they'll pull an upset though?
18. the other Pennsylvania team - I literally can't tell where these guys are at but this seems like a safe bet. If it's Bayard Rustin they might be higher because they did well last year but everyone else looks strong
19. Columbia - they usually do about this well. I'd put them higher but it seems kind of unrealistic
-Why Solon below Harriton? They've been doing really well this season.
-Munster that low seems really unrealistic considering how ridiculously well they did at state.
-Why do you get the impression I like F-M? (revising my predictions, I'd put them at 11th behind Stevenson and Clements)
-Boca Raton: doesn't seem any better than last year; same goes for Chattahoochee. I'd expect no higher than 15th for either. Also looking at the MIT scores, Clements at full strength (no-shows) would have placed 8th or 9th.
lol these predictions were made on a whim while I was sleep deprived; I'll try to answer though
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Uu1q2CE.png[/img]
- Harriton did better at MIT and 2016 Nats than Solon did. I agree they're close and wouldn't be surprised to see them switch
- The only real data I have for Munster is Wright State, and generally teams that didn't make Nats the previous year tend to underperform
- I didn't closely look at F-M but they had a mediocre MIT and last year NY didn't do so hot. looking back though I agree F-M tends to be pretty strong at Nats, would probably put them in 8-10 range
- Chattahoochee and Boca Raton both did pretty well at MIT but I looked at 2016 MIT and they did about the same and both got 16-20, so yeah I'd probably change that too lol
- Clements tends to do worse at Nats than both LASA and Seven Lakes

I think I'll revise my predictions a bit though

1. Troy - duh
8. Mentor - obligatory Ohio is good. they died at Wright State though... ?
9. Fayetteville-Manlius - decent past performances at Nats, last year seems like it was a fluke. They didn't do great at MIT though
11. New Trier - strong MIT + Wright State but NT doesn't seem to believe in itself lol
13. Munster - did bad at Wright State and also didn't go to Nats last year, but they did really well at Nats the last time they went and they did well at States. could see them here up to 9th
14. Clements - Clements is good but they don't do so well at Nationals usually
16. Chattahoochee - good MIT performance, comparable to last year, seems they have momentum
17. Boca Raton - comparable to Chattahoochee it seems
18. the other Pennsylvania team - I literally can't tell where these guys are at but this seems like a safe bet
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA
Been thanked: 0

Post by antoine_ego »

kenniky wrote: 9. Fayetteville-Manlius - decent past performances at Nats, last year seems like it was a fluke. They didn't do great at MIT though
11. New Trier - strong MIT + Wright State but NT doesn't seem to believe in itself lol
I disagree with this section.

9. Acton-Boxborough - Come one man, believe!
10. New Trier - Strong performance at MIT, which gives them this spot.
11. Mounds View - Going by instinct on this one. Odds are, their momentum will carry them through this year. I agree though, between 9th to 15th is pretty reasonable.
12. F-M - I don't feel they will get top 10. Going by your data, they are performing decently, but not high enough that would warrant them a top 10. Plus, they didn't go to Nats last year, so that could affect them.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
Ashernoel

Post by Ashernoel »

1. Troy - they are op.
2. Solon - they have been super strong every time i have seen them, and their history is great...
3. William P. Clements - Beat Seven Lakes (which was 2nd at mit) and have gotten super good super fast. Who knows where they will stop..
4. Lasa - narrowly beat Clements at state but clements rate of improvement is greater bc of last
5. Harriton - lower than texas teams bc of MIT but still strong.
6. Mira Loma - They didn't do that well at golden gate but won nats last year so...
7. Northville - did super well at wright state
8. Stevenson - Lost a lot of ppl so it will be hard but they will be strong prob.
9. Acton Boxborough - idk seems like a good place to plop them.
10. Mentor - Ohio teams are ruthless and had a good state performance
11. Chattahoochee - faith in the Unome to get his team where he wants to go.
12. WWP - idk much about these but they seem good.
13. New Trier - similar place we got last year. Only two people at practice today, so team is ded.
14. Fayettville Manlius - They have good build events (towers?) i think which will help them get points and do well.
15. Munster - poor wright state, no nats last year, but indiana W and strong.
16. PA2 = good?
17. Iolani - did well at golden gate for the events they did and cute name
Last edited by Ashernoel on April 25th, 2017, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NT '19
Harvard '23
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

Ashernoel wrote: 4. Lasa - narrowly beat centerville at state but centerville's rate of improvement is greater bc of last

I assume you mean Clements and not Centerville here, right?

Also I'd love to see Clements in 3rd because LASA and Seven Lakes both got 3rd at Nats in the past two years.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
Ashernoel

Post by Ashernoel »

maxxxxx wrote:
Ashernoel wrote: 4. Lasa - narrowly beat centerville at state but centerville's rate of improvement is greater bc of last

I assume you mean Clements and not Centerville here, right?

Also I'd love to see Clements in 3rd because LASA and Seven Lakes both got 3rd at Nats in the past two years.
Oh yea my bad will edit
NT '19
Harvard '23
Ashernoel

Post by Ashernoel »

I think I might have to move Harriton up to first after that DOMINATING state victory that cuts in half last years performance. Yea. There is a high chance they take it!
NT '19
Harvard '23

Return to “2017 Nationals”