Division B to Division C

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
-Groundhog-
Division: B
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Division B to Division C

Post by -Groundhog- »

I'm moving up to Division C next year, and I was wondering about the event "conversions", like Crime Busters => Forensics, and Reach for the Stars => Astronomy. Any other events like that? And are the B/C events actually the exact same material?
"The only people you should get even with are those who have helped you."

2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Crime Busters, Meteorology, Reach for the Stars, Rocks and Minerals, Write It Do It

2016: Crave the Wave, Crime Busters, Meteorology, Picture This, Reach for the Stars
Entomology
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Division B to Division C

Post by Entomology »

C of course will tend to require harder concepts and deeper understanding of material, but for the most part, B/C events are rather similar. You should be fine as long if you work harder. I transitioned this year, and I'm not seeing too much of a difference so far. This might be due to the fact that all my events are div b events as well though.

I also find that division C gets a lot more serious and there's less team community :( just 29384838 seniors who need college applications.
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Entomology wrote:C of course will tend to require harder concepts and deeper understanding of material, but for the most part, B/C events are rather similar. You should be fine as long if you work harder. I transitioned this year, and I'm not seeing too much of a difference so far. This might be due to the fact that all my events are div b events as well though.
Yeah, this was also something I found to be true (especially since all of my events are B/C as well). Something you will see more of (particularly in physics events and astro) is more math, but overall I wouldn't say there is a huge difference.
Entomology wrote: I also find that division C gets a lot more serious and there's less team community :( just 29384838 seniors who need college applications.
Haven't had this though. I guess it kinda varies by school.
-Groundhog- wrote:And are the B/C events actually the exact same material?
Some of the B/C events have a few topics designated on the rules for Division C only (e.g. optics has a few things in C only...some of which were considered completely fair game in Crave the Wave...still angry).
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

John Richardsim wrote:
Entomology wrote:C of course will tend to require harder concepts and deeper understanding of material, but for the most part, B/C events are rather similar. You should be fine as long if you work harder. I transitioned this year, and I'm not seeing too much of a difference so far. This might be due to the fact that all my events are div b events as well though.
Yeah, this was also something I found to be true (especially since all of my events are B/C as well). Something you will see more of (particularly in physics events and astro) is more math, but overall I wouldn't say there is a huge difference.
Agreed here. I've found that Div C is more different for the physics, chem, and earth science events, and more or less the same for inquiry, tech, and bio. This seems to be more a consequence of the subject material than committee preferences though, since it's very event-specific. Besides that, the actual competitive level in B and C is, on average, pretty much the same (although this varies quite a bit depending on where you live).
John Richardsim wrote:
Entomology wrote: I also find that division C gets a lot more serious and there's less team community :( just 29384838 seniors who need college applications.
Haven't had this though. I guess it kinda varies by school.
In my school, there's less team community than in B, but it could be a lot worse (people are willing to do some amount work, and usually no one backs out the day before the tournament). We're not really at the point where most people on the team consider SO their most important activity, but it's getting better.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
bonysteak
State: GA

Post by bonysteak »

Unome wrote: In my school, there's less team community than in B, but it could be a lot worse (people are willing to do some amount work, and usually no one backs out the day before the tournament). We're not really at the point where most people on the team consider SO their most important activity, but it's getting better.
I don't know anything about Div B because I joined C as a freshman, but I noticed that this year especially a lot of the kids on our team are REALLY laid back :lol: . It's nice when you want to party at competitions but I guess we could use more people who focused more
2016 National Tournament Wind Power 3rd place
(・∀・ )
-Groundhog-
Division: B
State: WA

Post by -Groundhog- »

Thanks! Unfortunately, someone I know in C said it was a lot better in B and nobody really studied in C :(.
"The only people you should get even with are those who have helped you."

2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Crime Busters, Meteorology, Reach for the Stars, Rocks and Minerals, Write It Do It

2016: Crave the Wave, Crime Busters, Meteorology, Picture This, Reach for the Stars
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

As far as competitiveness goes, (locally) average B division crushes average C division, but the upper echelons of C division are totally cutthroat. Some C division events are significantly harder, but the challenge is, then, more appreciable.
Carlim5v

Post by Carlim5v »

Your question helped me. Stick RPG 2
Last edited by Carlim5v on September 3rd, 2017, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

The team I'm on has MS and HS, and my the HS coach is VERY competitive, she tends to take 8th graders into HS prematurely, which means Division C for us middle schoolers could come sooner than expected. Does anyone else experience this?
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Sawadashi

Post by Sawadashi »

I do appreciate your kindness

Return to “General Competition”