bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Indoor Bottle Rocket C [TRIAL]

Post by bernard »

Indoor Bottle Rocket is a trial event for Division C at the National Tournament at Wright State University in Dayton, OH.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
SexyTrubbish
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Indoor Bottle Rocket C [TRIAL]

Post by SexyTrubbish »

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it not hit the roof since we don't know how high the roof will be? How do we adjust it/etc?

Thanks,
Trubbish.
WIDI is my favorite event.
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

SexyTrubbish wrote:Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it not hit the roof since we don't know how high the roof will be? How do we adjust it/etc?

Thanks,
Trubbish.
Based on my limited knowledge of the event; I think adjusting the amount of water/air should change the height? (among many other factors, but that's the one that comes to mind first for me) The same way the people optimize a regular rocket go as high as possible, in this case you would optimize it for a specific height.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
SexyTrubbish

Post by SexyTrubbish »

Oh, so then it's essentially just pure testing to see which volumes make which heights.

Thank.
reed303

Post by reed303 »

According to the draft rules (subject to change) at
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 2-8-16.pdf
the ES is to " announce the ceiling height as early as possible".

Could this be weeks or months early, or just the morning of competition ? Most, if not all, venues are decided weeks/months ahead of time, so heights could be provided early. And a school hosting a competition would have an advantage ;)

Or is this deliberately part of the challenge ?
Last edited by reed303 on May 3rd, 2017, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
SexyTrubbish

Post by SexyTrubbish »

Hmm... Additionally, parachutes are allowed in this or are they not? I didn't find anything explicitly stating that they were banned.
SexyTrubbish

Post by SexyTrubbish »

'Time aloft is recorded in hundredths of a second. Timing begins when the rocket separates from the
launcher and stops when the ping-pong ball touches the ground, goes out of sight, or is slowed by an
obstruction"

Does this "obstruction" include all forces acting on the bottle rocket, including parachutes?

Or does it only mean if it gets stuck on a rafter or something?
Boombloxer2

Post by Boombloxer2 »

SexyTrubbish wrote:'Time aloft is recorded in hundredths of a second. Timing begins when the rocket separates from the
launcher and stops when the ping-pong ball touches the ground, goes out of sight, or is slowed by an
obstruction"

Does this "obstruction" include all forces acting on the bottle rocket, including parachutes?

Or does it only mean if it gets stuck on a rafter or something?
I don't think it includes parachutes, but that's just my interpretation. Does anyone know from an authoritative source what the answer to their question is?

Thank.
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

The supervisor may provide an optional tether to prevent the rocket from hitting the ceiling. (end of 3e.)- Does this mean that there will be one and teams can just rely on it to prevent tiering? Also from the traditional break of a rocket design being massively important as the time of the rocket is scored, would one be able to assume that the ping pong ball on top is not rigidly attached then and just falls out from the transition? If so, if something besides the ping pong ball falls and touches the floor, it is not counted as time stops like previously? Just wondering.
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
Boombloxer2

Post by Boombloxer2 »

Raleway wrote:The supervisor may provide an optional tether to prevent the rocket from hitting the ceiling. (end of 3e.)- Does this mean that there will be one and teams can just rely on it to prevent tiering? Also from the traditional break of a rocket design being massively important as the time of the rocket is scored, would one be able to assume that the ping pong ball on top is not rigidly attached then and just falls out from the transition? If so, if something besides the ping pong ball falls and touches the floor, it is not counted as time stops like previously? Just wondering.
For the first question, I believe the answer is yeah, because the tether will probably be shorter than the height of the roof. For the second question, the time stops when the ping pong ball hits the ground or any of the things that trubbish posted happens.

Return to “2017 Build Events”