Anatomy & Physiology B/C

sciencepeeps
Division: C
State: IL

Re: Anatomy & Physiology B/C

Postby sciencepeeps » April 13th, 2017, 4:43 am

Hey, everyone! I'm sure you get this question often, but what resources do you recommend for this event? Our family owns a copy of Gray's Anatomy, but other than that not too many anatomical books. Do you recommend using Wikipedia in conjunction with other sites? Quizlet? I know that diagrams will be useful as well.

Thanks for your help- (I'm going to be heading to Missouri this weekend, and learned I'll actually be passing by Ladue for all you in MO!)
I know that I'm studying only the Div B topics, but Mader's Understanding of Huuman Anatomy and Physiology seems to cover all the topics that you need to know. Of course, it would be good to use more than one source. Wikipedia is good to start, and the more you look into online materials, you can find more sources. Grey's Anatomy is a good textbook as well.
18/19 Anatomy, Boomilever, widi

17/18 region/state/nation
Anatomy (2/6/-)
Mystery Architecture (-/2/-)
Towers (3/2/3)
Medal count
Invitationals: 38 Regionals:11 State:6 Nationals:1

Nerd_Bunny
State: ID

Postby Nerd_Bunny » April 13th, 2017, 8:38 pm

Did anyone notice that the Mesa-Wilson invitational test on the test exchange doesn't have an answer key? I'd like to use it to study but I don't feel like researching every answer.
Events: Chemistry Lab, A&P, Disease Detectives
2017 Placings
States/Nationals RFTS: 1/37 DD: 1/16 A&P:1/31 Ecology: -/59 [size=50]haha I bet you can guess what happened here...[/size]
2018 Placings
NEBO/States/Nationals A&P: 1/1/ Chem Lab: 5/1/ DD: 1/1/
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.

NeilMehta
WikiMod
WikiMod
State: NY

Postby NeilMehta » April 14th, 2017, 7:10 am

Did anyone notice that the Mesa-Wilson invitational test on the test exchange doesn't have an answer key? I'd like to use it to study but I don't feel like researching every answer.
Yes, the key is definitely missing. However, some of the best studying occurs when you look for answers on your own. I would suggest taking the test anyway and putting in the effort to research the answers, because it will make learning and absorbing new information much easier.
Then again, if you're on a shortage of time, it's much better to just find a new one.
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018

sciolyFTW_aku
State: MO

Postby sciolyFTW_aku » April 15th, 2017, 9:31 am

Hi,

Has anyone seen questions regarding the spinal nerves (other than the general gist of the plexuses) on any test so far? I'm debating whether I should spend a large amount of time on this, or move onto something more productive.

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
B-)

Nerd_Bunny

Postby Nerd_Bunny » April 18th, 2017, 4:01 pm

Hi,

Has anyone seen questions regarding the spinal nerves (other than the general gist of the plexuses) on any test so far? I'm debating whether I should spend a large amount of time on this, or move onto something more productive.

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
On my test, I did not. Although I did see plenty about cranial nerves.
2017 Placings
States/Nationals RFTS: 1/37 DD: 1/16 A&P:1/31 Ecology: -/59 [size=50]haha I bet you can guess what happened here...[/size]
2018 Placings

Nerd_Bunny

Postby Nerd_Bunny » April 22nd, 2017, 1:31 pm

What's a good resource for learning about all of the diseases and disorders? So far I've just used the study packet.
2017 Placings
2018 Placings

EagleHillSO2017
State: -

Postby EagleHillSO2017 » April 25th, 2017, 2:52 pm

Does anyone know what is meant by "function and role of specific nuclei cluster and tracts" in section viii of Nervous System? Does this mean that we must know clusters of nuclei (raphe nuclei, basal ganglia, etc) or specific nuclei (red nucleus, dentate nucleus, etc)? Also, does the part about tracts mean we have to know every single nerve tract in the brain, or just groups of tracts?

EagleHillSO2017
State: -

Postby EagleHillSO2017 » April 25th, 2017, 2:53 pm

What's a good resource for learning about all of the diseases and disorders? So far I've just used the study packet.
Medical websites, such as Mayo Clinic, are generally pretty useful.

Sciolapedia
State: PA

Postby Sciolapedia » April 25th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Where do you guys find really good diagrams to study labelling from? Not just simple stuff like occipital lobe, corpus callosum but diagrams with stuff like cerebral aqueduct, septum pellucidum, etc?

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Postby Unome » April 25th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Where do you guys find really good diagrams to study labelling from? Not just simple stuff like occipital lobe, corpus callosum but diagrams with stuff like cerebral aqueduct, septum pellucidum, etc?
Good googling gets this pretty well. When I did A&P in 2014 I found this one really good diagram of the brain that labeled basically everything; out structure, lobes, functional areas, most of the limbic system, etc. This was actually my first introduction to the art of using MS Paint to rewrite diagram labels.

Textbooks are also helpful, especially for the sort of stuff that the internet tends to miss (e.g. that one structure that none of the internet diagrams have but is mentioned in every textbook; most diagrams have this).

Edit: 2000 posts!
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

sciolyFTW_aku
State: MO

Postby sciolyFTW_aku » April 26th, 2017, 6:52 pm

Hi,

Has anyone seen any questions regarding the evolution of the nervous system in animals, or specific nervous systems/sensory mechanisms of eukaryotes (i.e statoliths in plants)?
Does anyone know what is meant by "function and role of specific nuclei cluster and tracts" in section viii of Nervous System? Does this mean that we must know clusters of nuclei (raphe nuclei, basal ganglia, etc) or specific nuclei (red nucleus, dentate nucleus, etc)? Also, does the part about tracts mean we have to know every single nerve tract in the brain, or just groups of tracts?
It's up to you. As far I can see, knowing clusters of nuclei should be enough?

Thanks,
sciolyFTW_aku
B-)

Nerd_Bunny

Postby Nerd_Bunny » May 4th, 2017, 2:35 pm

How different are the division C rules from the division B national level rules? I only have the division B rules so I can't compare them.

And...

When the rules say "neural pathways" does it mean cranial nerves?
2017 Placings
2018 Placings

Kappa323598
State: KS

Postby Kappa323598 » May 7th, 2017, 6:31 am

Does anybody know where I could find invitational tests for anatomy from this year (which aren't on the test exchange)?
Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.

Nerd_Bunny

Postby Nerd_Bunny » May 17th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Which 3 division C tests on the test exchange (not the wiki one) have the best content?
2017 Placings
2018 Placings

Return to “2017 Study Events”