Best parts of the weekend for me:
- Medaling in Dynamic Planet and Astronomy
- Getting a medal from bear :)
- Spirit Award for the team
Worst parts:
- Microbes, Disease, WIDI
- Team 22nd place overall :(
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Re: 2017 National Tournament: Wright State University

Post by Tailsfan101 »

I'll say this: While my team (Treasure Valley Homeschool) didn't do very well overall, (51st in middle, 49th in high) we still managed to succeed in individual events! Some highlights from middle school and high school:
Optics (24th) NeBH had this alone, but still managed to beat teams like Ladue, Shady Side, Eagle Hill, Longfellow, and most notably Beckendorff!
Mission Possible (17th) Great job by my teammates, they said they were only two seconds off the target time! Notable teams they beat: Carnage, Shady Side, Paul J. Gelinas, and most notably Winston Churchill!
Disease Detectives (16th) Nerd_Bunny and I did this together and did the best on our team! Notable teams we beat: Eagle Hill, Community, Hamilton, Paul J. Gelinas, Marie Murphy, and especially Solon! We also finished right behind Piedmont IB.
Robot Arm (24th) Not many notable teams beaten here, but still third best finish on their team. Notables: Ladue Horton Watkins and LASA (Liberal Arts and Science Academy).
Microbe Mission (17th) Great job here, 2nd best finish on the team! Notables: Ladue Horton Watkins, New Trier, William P. Clements and most notably Mira Loma!
Experimental Design (12th) Amazing job on XD, there were a lot of notables they beat here! Most notably: New Trier, William P. Clements, Mira Loma, Harriton, and especially (this was big) Troy!
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
SSD_scioly
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SSD_scioly »

I posted this yesterday, but it got ignored. Does anyone know where I can find video replays of the opening ceremony and award ceremony? I tried searching through http://www.wright.edu/streaming and the wright state youtube channel, but I can't find it.
WWP High School South (NJ) '17
maxxxxx
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

SSD_scioly wrote:I posted this yesterday, but it got ignored. Does anyone know where I can find video replays of the opening ceremony and award ceremony? I tried searching through http://www.wright.edu/streaming and the wright state youtube channel, but I can't find it.
I've been looking for it too. It looks like it just hasn't been posted(even though they said it would be). It might be a week or two until it finally gets published, but they uploaded a video to Youtube today so I'm holding out hope that they upload it soon.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

SSD_scioly wrote:I posted this yesterday, but it got ignored. Does anyone know where I can find video replays of the opening ceremony and award ceremony? I tried searching through http://www.wright.edu/streaming and the wright state youtube channel, but I can't find it.
I have also been searching, it appears it hasn't been posted yet. I wanted to see myself doing the student pledge! (Yes, I was the boy up there, for those of you who were paying attention)
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
SSD_scioly
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by SSD_scioly »

maxxxxx wrote:
I've been looking for it too. It looks like it just hasn't been posted(even though they said it would be). It might be a week or two until it finally gets published, but they uploaded a video to Youtube today so I'm holding out hope that they upload it soon.
Tailsfan101 wrote:
I have also been searching, it appears it hasn't been posted yet. I wanted to see myself doing the student pledge! (Yes, I was the boy up there, for those of you who were paying attention)
I checked on youtube, and it looks like last year's recordings weren't posted until August! But 2015's recordings were posted within a week of the end of the competition, so there's no minimum or maximum amount of time that we could have to wait. :?
WWP High School South (NJ) '17
maxxxxx

Post by maxxxxx »

SSD_scioly wrote:
maxxxxx wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
I checked on youtube, and it looks like last year's recordings weren't posted until August! But 2015's recordings were posted within a week of the end of the competition, so there's no minimum or maximum amount of time that we could have to wait. :?
Allegedly in 2013(when WSU hosted it last) it was posted to Youtube in two weeks but I'm a little wary to expect that since they're implying that it's already been posted.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
And you did a great job! Hopefully I was able to help calm your nerves a bit with all the small talk during the wait backstage.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
maxxxxx

Post by maxxxxx »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jaiyu6VDMFQ

"Taller Heights Middle School" gg Dayton local news.

Also, does the posting of something from Friday foreshadow a posting of the Opening/Awards Ceremony?
abby1kanobe
Division: B
State: TN

Post by abby1kanobe »

Just wanted to give a shout out to my kids at Bearden Middle from TN. They exceeded a lot peoples expectations and showed hard work and dedication can get you into the top 20. Cograts to all students who worked hard to make it to the tourney saturday. Kuddos to you all!!!

Return to “2017 Nationals”