Scioly Summer Study Session 2017

Piggy
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2017

Post by Piggy »

Wait what happened to the Dynamic Planet rotation? I thought they with changing to four year rotation with tectonics, glaciers, freshwater?, and oceans one year each. Why is it tectonics again next year?
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Piggy wrote:Wait what happened to the Dynamic Planet rotation? I thought they with changing to four year rotation with tectonics, glaciers, freshwater?, and oceans one year each. Why is it tectonics again next year?
I guess the decision not to switch to one-year-per-topic was made. Or at least not switching to it yet.
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

Suppose I wanted to write an Astro test, but we have no idea what the DSOs are going to be last year. What should I do? Should I just write one without the DSOs?
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

antoine_ego wrote:Suppose I wanted to write an Astro test, but we have no idea what the DSOs are going to be last year. What should I do? Should I just write one without the DSOs?
Yes, you should not know the DSOs, good ;).

You have a few options. I recommend using a few very common DSOs from past years that are related to the topic. You may throw on a few random ones you think are cool, but try to minimize this. If you really don't wan to, you could also make a pure concepts/math test, though that might be a bit trickier and doesn't give all the practice for you and those taking it.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
mnstrviola
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

John Richardsim wrote:
Piggy wrote:Wait what happened to the Dynamic Planet rotation? I thought they with changing to four year rotation with tectonics, glaciers, freshwater?, and oceans one year each. Why is it tectonics again next year?
I guess the decision not to switch to one-year-per-topic was made. Or at least not switching to it yet.
In the meantime, until either topic is announced definitely, SSSS will accept resources for either Dynamic Planet topic, tectonics or glaciers. But tectonics is preferred. It would be best to generate resources for the possibly "new" topic that might rotate in next year.

Also, unrelatedly, wow! "new" smileys that are probably not "new" new but new to me :o :shock: :mrgreen:

EDIT: See later post; the topic actually has been announced fairly-definitely and it's fairly-definitely tectonics. So that is only what we will accept.
Last edited by mnstrviola on June 13th, 2017, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

mnstrviola wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
In the meantime, until either topic is announced definitely, SSSS will accept resources for either Dynamic Planet topic, tectonics or glaciers. But tectonics is preferred. It would be best to generate resources for the possibly "new" topic that might rotate in next year.

Also, unrelatedly, wow! "new" smileys that are probably not "new" new but new to me :o :shock: :mrgreen:
What constitutes "announced definitely"? The change occured here.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

mnstrviola wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:

So will you be taking Climate Change Processes for the Remote Sensing topic?
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
mnstrviola
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

Unome wrote:
mnstrviola wrote:
John Richardsim wrote: I guess the decision not to switch to one-year-per-topic was made. Or at least not switching to it yet.

What constitutes "announced definitely"? The change occured here.
Yep my bad, I misunderstood the situation. We will only accept for tectonics, and I will have that reflected on our Google Doc. Thanks!
Random Human
Division: C

Post by Random Human »

How many test usually end up on SSSS by the end of the the session? Just wondering...
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Random Human wrote:How many test usually end up on SSSS by the end of the the session? Just wondering...
In the range of 20 or so total - at some point I'll count them. It tends to increase every year.

Edit: I counted, there were 17 approved submissions from last year. That means there were likely around 50 total submissions (guesstimate).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “SSSS & SEC”