Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology C [TRIAL]

Post by Skink »

dvegadvol wrote:Are the species we will study just North American or is it all of the Americas, or all of the species worldwide?

Thanks
This is a really good question and one that I hope gets addressed in the rules before publication. The last time this was an event, it was understood that it was NA-only because, instead of a binder, you were permitted a field guide (and I want to say they recommended NA ones, as I have both Peterson east and west on my shelf). Now, there's no such provision, so it seems fair game that they could ask about something in the taxa listed but that have ranges in Asia or Europe...does that change much? It's hard to say. They shouldn't be asking about things like cobras, though, because the taxon they're in (don't remember offhand) limits it to coral snakes or whatever.
Juanyjose
Been thanked: 0

Post by Juanyjose »

Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote:
maxxxxx wrote:
It will be unless they decide to skip right to Ornithology
On the tentative SOSI schedule, it lists Herpetology, so I'd expect it's next. You can wait another two years for your birds :P .
Ok, so this is what the 2018 events seem to be (for those who don't want to decipher the schedule and read all the other relevant documents):

Biology
Anatomy & Physiology B/C (Respiratory, Digestive, Immune)
Disease Detectives B/C (Foodborne Illness)
Ecology B/C
Herpetology B/C (replaces Invasives)
Microbe Mission B/C

Earth Science:
Astronomy C (topic: my best guess is Type II SNe & Stellar Evolution, or something with Galaxies)
Dynamic Planet B/C (Glaciers)
Meteorology B (Climate)
Remote Sensing C (topic unknown)
Road Scholar B
Rocks and Minerals B/C
Solar System B (topic?)

Physics:
Hovercraft B/C
Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C (replaces Wind Power)
Optics B/C

Chemistry:
Crime Busters B
Forensics C
Chemistry Lab C (topic: Thermodynamics & something else, possibly Aqueous Solutions or Acids & Bases)
Materials Science C
Potions and Poisons B (replaces Food Science)

Technology:
Battery Buggy B (replaces Scrambler)
Mousetrap Vehicle C (replaces Electric Vehicle)
Wright Stuff B
Helicopters C
Towers B/C
Roller Coaster B (replaces Mission Possible)
Mission Possible C (replaces Robot Arm C)

Inquiry:
Experimental Design B/C
Write It Do It B/C
Fast Facts B
Undecided Event B (my best guess is that they're deciding whether to keep Bottle Rocket or rotate with something like Rotor Egg Drop, or another as yet untested event)
Undecided Event C (replaces Hydrogeology; my best guess is that it'll be a revised version of Technical Problem Solving)
Undecided Event C (replaces Game On; #FermiQuestions?)
Do you know when Sounds of Music will come back as a trial event or a real event?
maxxxxx
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by maxxxxx »

Juanyjose wrote:
Unome wrote:
Magikarpmaster629 wrote: On the tentative SOSI schedule, it lists Herpetology, so I'd expect it's next. You can wait another two years for your birds :P .
Ok, so this is what the 2018 events seem to be (for those who don't want to decipher the schedule and read all the other relevant documents):

Biology
Anatomy & Physiology B/C (Respiratory, Digestive, Immune)
Disease Detectives B/C (Foodborne Illness)
Ecology B/C
Herpetology B/C (replaces Invasives)
Microbe Mission B/C

Earth Science:
Astronomy C (topic: my best guess is Type II SNe & Stellar Evolution, or something with Galaxies)
Dynamic Planet B/C (Glaciers)
Meteorology B (Climate)
Remote Sensing C (topic unknown)
Road Scholar B
Rocks and Minerals B/C
Solar System B (topic?)

Physics:
Hovercraft B/C
Keep the Heat B/Thermodynamics C (replaces Wind Power)
Optics B/C

Chemistry:
Crime Busters B
Forensics C
Chemistry Lab C (topic: Thermodynamics & something else, possibly Aqueous Solutions or Acids & Bases)
Materials Science C
Potions and Poisons B (replaces Food Science)

Technology:
Battery Buggy B (replaces Scrambler)
Mousetrap Vehicle C (replaces Electric Vehicle)
Wright Stuff B
Helicopters C
Towers B/C
Roller Coaster B (replaces Mission Possible)
Mission Possible C (replaces Robot Arm C)

Inquiry:
Experimental Design B/C
Write It Do It B/C
Fast Facts B
Undecided Event B (my best guess is that they're deciding whether to keep Bottle Rocket or rotate with something like Rotor Egg Drop, or another as yet untested event)
Undecided Event C (replaces Hydrogeology; my best guess is that it'll be a revised version of Technical Problem Solving)
Undecided Event C (replaces Game On; #FermiQuestions?)
Do you know when Sounds of Music will come back as a trial event or a real event?
At the end of last year Chalker said that they wanted to re-write the rules to make it less subjective and run it as a National trial, so that's why they're running Hovercraft this year. Based on that I'm guessing it will be run as a National trial next year and an event the year after.
Lower Merion Class Of 2017
jazzli

Post by jazzli »

I noticed on the list that some of the scientific taxons and common names do not match exactly. For example, the family Helodermatidae includes both gila monsters and the Mexican beaded lizard; however, the common name only says gila monster. There are many other examples, like Cryptobranchidae/hellbender, and Elapidae/coral snakes.

Should I research according to the scientific name or the common name? Thanks.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

jazzli wrote:I noticed on the list that some of the scientific taxons and common names do not match exactly. For example, the family Helodermatidae includes both gila monsters and the Mexican beaded lizard; however, the common name only says gila monster. There are many other examples, like Cryptobranchidae/hellbender, and Elapidae/coral snakes.

I'd say use the scientific names.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

jazzli wrote:I noticed on the list that some of the scientific taxons and common names do not match exactly. For example, the family Helodermatidae includes both gila monsters and the Mexican beaded lizard; however, the common name only says gila monster. There are many other examples, like Cryptobranchidae/hellbender, and Elapidae/coral snakes.

Each supervisor may interpret this differently. Research based on both
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Person
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Person »

windu34 wrote:

Maybe it will be clarified when the rules/list officially comes out hopefully...
I am a Person.
♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
JoJoKeKe
State: ID

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Person wrote:
windu34 wrote:

Maybe it will be clarified when the rules/list officially comes out hopefully...
I'm also hoping that this happens. In addition to the common-scientific name confusion, there are some conflictions brought up by an outdated taxonomy usage. I have found on multiple occasions that some of the specimens are listed under a completely different genus, or the genus name has been changed. For this reason, I am waiting to complete some of my snake ID, which appears to present the biggest conflict.
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

JoJoKeKe wrote:
Person wrote:
windu34 wrote: Each supervisor may interpret this differently. Research based on both
I'm also hoping that this happens. In addition to the common-scientific name confusion, there are some conflictions brought up by an outdated taxonomy usage. I have found on multiple occasions that some of the specimens are listed under a completely different genus, or the genus name has been changed. For this reason, I am waiting to complete some of my snake ID, which appears to present the biggest conflict.
Yeah I have run into the outdated taxonomy problem as well. Always go with what is listed on the official rules list even if its outdated
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
BrS

Post by BrS »

Does anyone know if we research all of the species within each provided family or genus? For example, do we need info on every species of crocodile in Crocodylidae?

Return to “2017 Study Events”