Chuck
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
mjcox2000
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Helicopters C

Post by mjcox2000 »

What's the point of 5.d. (the coloring bonus)? It seems like an odd thing to give a bonus for - it seems easy enough to do and probably would add a negligible amount of mass. Does anyone see the logic behind adding that bonus?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

mjcox2000 wrote:What's the point of 5.d. (the coloring bonus)? It seems like an odd thing to give a bonus for - it seems easy enough to do and probably would add a negligible amount of mass. Does anyone see the logic behind adding that bonus?
It awards teams that take time to mark their helicopters so they are more visible mid-flight, without penalizing those who do not do it. If it were not a bonus, teams without colored blades would have construction violations.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
mjcox2000

Post by mjcox2000 »

Have there been issues before with inadequately visible helicopters, or was this incentive for marking blades created out of the blue?
ScottMaurer19
State: OH

Post by ScottMaurer19 »

mjcox2000 wrote:Have there been issues before with inadequately visible helicopters, or was this incentive for marking blades created out of the blue?
This is similar to a bonus in wright stuff last year so not entirely new. I'm not sure where it originates.
Solon '19 Captain, CWRU '23
2017 (r/s/n):
Hydro: 3/5/18
Robot Arm: na/1/1
Rocks: 1/1/1

2018 (r/s/n):
Heli: 2/1/7 
Herp: 1/4/4
Mission: 1/1/6
Rocks: 1/1/1
Eco: 6/3/9

2019 (r/s/n):
Fossils: 1/1/1
GLM: 1/1/1
Herp: 1/1/5
Mission: 1/1/3
WS: 4/1/10

Top 3 Medals: 144
Golds: 80
Daquan

Post by Daquan »

How would you build a chinook with only one motor?
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by Raleway »

Daquan wrote:How would you build a chinook with only one motor?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWWpXVMFwWw

Roy has a great chinook with one motor (I believe it is one). Basically, you just attach it like last year's heli, but there are some modifications to be made that you have to figure out to let the motor correctly turn the rotors- don't remember at this point in time though. Very difficult to make well.
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

ScottMaurer19 wrote:
mjcox2000 wrote:Have there been issues before with inadequately visible helicopters, or was this incentive for marking blades created out of the blue?
This is similar to a bonus in wright stuff last year so not entirely new. I'm not sure where it originates.
This has been something in the rules in some form for a while now. One main reason for it is to help with visibility when the device is up high to help determine it if gets hung up on something. Last year at nationals there was a very interesting arbitration around some ambiguity in the previous wording used to describe the 'marker', so the committee spent a bit of time revising the wording to be very explicit and descriptive.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
mjcox2000

Post by mjcox2000 »

chalker wrote: This has been something in the rules in some form for a while now. One main reason for it is to help with visibility when the device is up high to help determine it if gets hung up on something. Last year at nationals there was a very interesting arbitration around some ambiguity in the previous wording used to describe the 'marker', so the committee spent a bit of time revising the wording to be very explicit and descriptive.
I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

bernard wrote:
coachchuckaahs wrote:Since a chinook design would have two rubber motors, it would seem that you would almost certainly forego the 5% bonus on prep time, but trading for a 2.5X kicker, probably worth it. Perhaps both team members need to wind in tandem!

Any thoughts as to when they start the pre-flight timing? Will they give a chance to get to the winding table, or will space near check-in be at a premium? (Same issue in Wright Stuff). I would hope the team can carefully take their flying machines to their tables before time starts, but I suspect they will start as soon as weigh-in is complete.

Coach Chuck
I've seen a Chinook I believe ran on a single motor, constructed by Roy White.
Correction: Roy White's Chinook actually has 2 motors, each wound in the opposite direction. You can read more about his design here viewtopic.php?t=4234.

Return to “Helicopters C”