Beckendorff Junior High '14
CVMSAvalacheStudent
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

What is the address? And has Stanford or MIT held a national? Just wondering.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:What is the address? And has Stanford or MIT held a national? Just wondering.
Neither Stanford nor MIT have ever hosted a National tournament. Source
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
CVMSAvalacheStudent
Division: C
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

Tailsfan101 wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:What is the address? And has Stanford or MIT held a national? Just wondering.
Why don't they?
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
kenniky
State: MA

Post by kenniky »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote:
Why don't they?
MIT just started hosting tournaments about 3 years ago, and Stanford started last year
Automated Event Assigner!
UMich 2018: Chem Lab, Fermi

[url=http://tinyurl.com/kenniky-so-test]Rate my tests![/url]
[url]https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Kenniky[/url]

[url=https://scioly.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10008&start=34]2017 Nats = rip[/url]
[url=https://youtu.be/MCo8IAovjfw]ABRHS 2016[/url]
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

kenniky wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
Tailsfan101 wrote: Neither Stanford nor MIT have ever hosted a National tournament. Source
Why don't they?
MIT just started hosting tournaments about 3 years ago, and Stanford started last year
National Tournaments require a SIGNIFICANT commitment of resources from the host university. It's not like the National Science Olympiad office goes around asking universities to host the event. Rather, universities generally have to submit a proposal to NSO, which means that the highest level of the university administration needs to be involved (typically the president's office). There needs to be a group of extremely committed local folks that can get the ear of the administration to make this happen. It would be wonderful if that would eventually happen at MIT or Stanford.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface »

chalker wrote:
kenniky wrote:
CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote: Why don't they?
National Tournaments require a SIGNIFICANT commitment of resources from the host university. It's not like the National Science Olympiad office goes around asking universities to host the event. Rather, universities generally have to submit a proposal to NSO, which means that the highest level of the university administration needs to be involved (typically the president's office). There needs to be a group of extremely committed local folks that can get the ear of the administration to make this happen. It would be wonderful if that would eventually happen at MIT or Stanford.
I mean, it seems that Cornell has already managed to make this happen, so I still have high hopes.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

whythelongface wrote:
chalker wrote:
kenniky wrote: MIT just started hosting tournaments about 3 years ago, and Stanford started last year
I mean, it seems that Cornell has already managed to make this happen, so I still have high hopes.
Even so, I doubt Stanford has the capacity to host Nationals (and MIT may not have sufficient capacity for awards). I'm pretty sure a Caltech bid has been deferred in the past for space concerns, and they have a significantly more established organization than either of those two.

Edit: I guess if Juniata could do it Stanford could, but things have become larger since 2004 (and Juniata was only ever a last-minute backup anyway).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian »

Also don't forget that universities like MIT have finals around the same time as Nats. It's already difficult enough (in general) to get administrative permission for running a college invitational during a relatively not busy time of year (winter break / the weeks immediately afterward). Universities tend to not like having tons of young kids running around campus ;)

Return to “2018 Nationals”