Experimental Design B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Experimental Design B/C

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

I don't think there has been a question marathon for this event because it doesn't really need one. However, I was thinking that we could try doing things like, "Given these materials, create an experiment on this topic. List independent variables, dependent variables, etc." and then judge the experiment based on how it meets criteria. I'm not saying we can't do just that; we can create questions about certain topics such as, "So and so were conducting this experiment and this was their procedure. However, the data rejects the hypothesis, what was the error?" Doing so, we should be ready to complete any experiment and be prepared for any sort of topics that the supervisors may give us.
I'll start it off and we can see how this one might go.

You are given these materials: Conduct an experiment on motion.
- Two 30 cm wheels
- Four 20 cm wheels
- Six 10 cm wheels
- Two metric rulers
- Newspapers
- A cart
- Rubber bands
- A 1 meter ramp
- Three textbooks
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
WhatScience?
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by WhatScience? »

This is a good idea. I will try to get to it with my partners sometime this week
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:I don't think there has been a question marathon for this event because it doesn't really need one. However, I was thinking that we could try doing things like, "Given these materials, create an experiment on this topic. List independent variables, dependent variables, etc." and then judge the experiment based on how it meets criteria. I'm not saying we can't do just that; we can create questions about certain topics such as, "So and so were conducting this experiment and this was their procedure. However, the data rejects the hypothesis, what was the error?" Doing so, we should be ready to complete any experiment and be prepared for any sort of topics that the supervisors may give us.

- Two 30 cm wheels
- Four 20 cm wheels
- Six 10 cm wheels
- Two metric rulers
- Newspapers
- A cart
- Rubber bands
- A 1 meter ramp
- Three textbooks
Are we supposed to type up the experiment on this thread or is this just a thread to post experiment ideas on?
OrigamiPlanet

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

dxu46 wrote:
OrigamiPlanet wrote:I don't think there has been a question marathon for this event because it doesn't really need one. However, I was thinking that we could try doing things like, "Given these materials, create an experiment on this topic. List independent variables, dependent variables, etc." and then judge the experiment based on how it meets criteria. I'm not saying we can't do just that; we can create questions about certain topics such as, "So and so were conducting this experiment and this was their procedure. However, the data rejects the hypothesis, what was the error?" Doing so, we should be ready to complete any experiment and be prepared for any sort of topics that the supervisors may give us.

- Two 30 cm wheels
- Four 20 cm wheels
- Six 10 cm wheels
- Two metric rulers
- Newspapers
- A cart
- Rubber bands
- A 1 meter ramp
- Three textbooks
Are we supposed to type up the experiment on this thread or is this just a thread to post experiment ideas on?
To keep it simple, just give me a topic, your IV, DV and hypothesis, because typing up an entire experiment would be too time consuming, unless you guys prefer it that we try to do so.

Events

Howdy partner ;)

WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

Can we get an image of what you mean by cart.

Sorry if these seems stupid but the type of cart could make a huge difference.
OrigamiPlanet

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

WhatScience? wrote:Can we get an image of what you mean by cart.

Sorry if these seems stupid but the type of cart could make a huge difference.
[img]http://st.motortrend.ca/uploads/sites/42/2016/04/Apple-Car-base-sketch.jpg[/img]
This is the closest I could get to my depiction of a car base. What I'm looking for is just the base, excluding the divider in the center. It would also have the axles to attach different wheels on, but other than that, that is all of what I am looking for really in my "ideal" car base.

Events

Howdy partner ;)

OrigamiPlanet

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

I guess no one wants to take a shot for what a possible experiment could be? There isn't really an exact experiment that's right; as long as it meets criterion then it is a completely valid experiment. Keeping it simple would be the most optimum choice, as it will be easier to do all parts in general, giving time to spare.

Events

Howdy partner ;)

sg2themax

Post by sg2themax »

- Two 30 cm wheels
- Four 20 cm wheels
- Six 10 cm wheels
- Two metric rulers
- Newspapers
- A cart
- Rubber bands
- A 1 meter ramp
- Three textbooks
Topic: How does the size of the back wheels of a cart affect the time it takes to roll down a ramp?

IV: Size of back wheels(10, 20, 30)
DV: Time(sec)

Simplified procedure:
Stack the 3 text books and put the top of a ramp on it, then using the cart keep the front 2 wheels as 20 cm, and change the back wheels placing the cart at the top of the ramp and timing its roll.
OrigamiPlanet

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

sg2themax wrote:

- Two 30 cm wheels
- Four 20 cm wheels
- Six 10 cm wheels
- Two metric rulers
- Newspapers
- A cart
- Rubber bands
- A 1 meter ramp
- Three textbooks
Topic: How does the size of the back wheels of a cart affect the time it takes to roll down a ramp?

IV: Size of back wheels(10, 20, 30)
DV: Time(sec)

Simplified procedure:
Stack the 3 text books and put the top of a ramp on it, then using the cart keep the front 2 wheels as 20 cm, and change the back wheels placing the cart at the top of the ramp and timing its roll.
That works, your turn

Events

Howdy partner ;)

dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO

Post by dxu46 »

Could we try doing stuff like questions (because little writeups are harder to do than questions)? I know this is kind of sketchy, but there is still a lot of knowledge in Ex. Design. We could ask stuff like, "Name the formula to calculate the average of a set of numbers x1 to xn," or "What is a controlled variable?" Let me know your guys' thoughts on this.

Return to “2018 Question Marathons”