Wiki Moderator
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by NeilMehta »

WhatScience? wrote:How much further do we need to go than the resources on that document on the soinc.org event page??? :?: :?:
In addition to all of those, honestly, Wikipedia should have you covered
WhatScience? wrote:How specific do you guys think we'll need to get with some of the asteroids in the solar system?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e ... _asteroids
This page lists some significant ones. Honestly, there are just way too many asteroids to know about each, so your best bet is probably to know about a few of the major ones (i.e. Ceres) and then learn general information about asteroids and formation and such. It really seems like they want to place an emphasis on planets over asteroids, although I could definitely be wrong on that one.
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

Thanks for that Neil.
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

Radioactive dating IS a type of surface dating, right? I don't have a clear-cut answer for that, and I want to try to conserve my space for other topics as well.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

I saw this idea in the Anatomy forum and was orignally against it but as it has been succesfully argued to me, I thought I could share it here.

Would anyone (or more people) be up for note sharing in Solar System?(Note I say sharing not I give everything to you and the other way around)
bmd234

Post by bmd234 »

The rule manual says that we need to know about cratering of the planets, I'm working on Mercury right now and I looked up a list of craters but there's like hundreds of craters on mercury... how many do we need to know?
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator

Post by NeilMehta »

bmd234 wrote:The rule manual says that we need to know about cratering of the planets, I'm working on Mercury right now and I looked up a list of craters but there's like hundreds of craters on mercury... how many do we need to know?
Are you talking about rule 3cvi? If so, it seems that the topic on hand is how the craters form themselves (the process) rather than actually actually knowing the names of specific craters
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
bmd234

Post by bmd234 »

Don't want to ask too many questions on here but Solar Systems is new and I can't study the way I usually do so... here goes...
How far into the atmosphere of the planets do we need to get? Obviously we need the composition but should I also add how it affects the surface of the planets, how the atmosphere used to be, the "clouds" in the atmosphere, and more? I just don't know how much is too much for this portion because I can't look at old tests or anything since it's a new topic :/ Also is there a way to measure Libration or something? because I can't find any and the rules say include Libration...
WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? »

bmd234 wrote:Don't want to ask too many questions on here but Solar Systems is new and I can't study the way I usually do so... here goes...
How far into the atmosphere of the planets do we need to get? Obviously we need the composition but should I also add how it affects the surface of the planets, how the atmosphere used to be, the "clouds" in the atmosphere, and more? I just don't know how much is too much for this portion because I can't look at old tests or anything since it's a new topic :/ Also is there a way to measure Libration or something? because I can't find any and the rules say include Libration...
I doubt you will need to go into Libration and for the atmosphere, general stuff seems fine.

I would recommend getting basic information on the different parameters first and then going in depth on anything you feel is necessary.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by syo_astro »

Copying from astro as it's relevant here...

Webinars up! [With a new webinar presenter for Div B:D]

http://chandra.harvard.edu/edu/olympiad.html
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
OrigamiPlanet
State: PA

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

Does anyone know about how many near-Earth asteroids that we should put up? In other words, should we just find like the most massive and go from there?
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle

Return to “2018 Study Events”