CVMSAvalacheStudent
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

Diego wrote:Sorry!!!I will post there in the futer. :D :D :D :D :D
*I suppose he was supposed to write future.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
Benedict

Post by Benedict »

I have an question.
Do you know which map are we using for Road Scholar during the 2017-2018 session?
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

Same here. I see they are supplying students with the maps, but do they know yet which maps they are going to be using?
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MO
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by dxu46 »

Benedict wrote:I have an question.
Do you know which map are we using for Road Scholar during the 2017-2018 session?
drcubbin wrote:Same here. I see they are supplying students with the maps, but do they know yet which maps they are going to be using?
Are you talking about competitions? Because you're not supposed to know what maps they will be using for tests until when you walk into that room.
drcubbin

Post by drcubbin »

We have quite a selection of previously used Road Scholar maps which we are attempting to match up with past tests. We have been going through the questions on the past test for any indicators of what specific map was used. But aside from this "peck and hunt" method, does anyone have a method of gathering matching materials for this event?
SPP SciO

Post by SPP SciO »

dxu46 wrote:
Benedict wrote:I have an question.
drcubbin wrote:Same here. I see they are supplying students with the maps, but do they know yet which maps they are going to be using?
Are you talking about competitions? Because you're not supposed to know what maps they will be using for tests until when you walk into that room.
I've always found this event to be weird in NY - the highway maps are requested in advance, and the students have to supply them. There is no rules-based reason for this to be the case; it's always clearly prescribed by the rules that all maps are furnished by the supervisor. Plus, the idea is that the event tests map skills, not the ability to memorize certain map features ahead of time.

For practice tests, you can download the USGS topographic maps. Printing them can be an annoying challenge. https://store.usgs.gov/maps
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
Fanglin
State: CA

Post by Fanglin »

drcubbin wrote:We have quite a selection of previously used Road Scholar maps which we are attempting to match up with past tests. We have been going through the questions on the past test for any indicators of what specific map was used. But aside from this "peck and hunt" method, does anyone have a method of gathering matching materials for this event?
Look for the tests. My coach compiled a dropbox full of Road Scholar tests, and organized them. He also had downloads for some of the maps, but not all. The real issue was finding road maps which matched those on the actual test. I found that if you snoop around the internet a bit, with the right keywords, you can find the map in a state archive so somewhere, depending on the map significance.
Problems are better pursued with General Electric GE90-115 engines.

2016 Nats:
Road Scholar:4th 8-)
Bottle Rockets: 9th
Meteorology: 11th
Gliders: 21st

(other events: Green Gen, Crime Busters, Helicopters, Hovercraft, Air trajectory)

Former Cheesehead
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Anomaly »

This is my first time doing Road Scholar and I'm looking for some advice on how to prepare for this. Members of my team have done it in years past, but due to lack of interest in the topic no one ever made it into the top 3/4 of places. I'm trying to improve this event for our team this year, so does anyone have advice?
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
dxu46
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dxu46 »

Anomaly wrote:This is my first time doing Road Scholar and I'm looking for some advice on how to prepare for this. Members of my team have done it in years past, but due to lack of interest in the topic no one ever made it into the top 3/4 of places. I'm trying to improve this event for our team this year, so does anyone have advice?
Interest is a big thing. Our school always has people that are interested in most of the events, with the events that people are not interested in having coaches that try to interest people. But that is only for build events. I'd say just try to make interest, either by making members go super indepth into the topic (that usually works) or look for people who always look outside when in a car for road signs (I did RS in 2016 because of that :D ). And once you do well at competitions with it, more people naturally want to join because they think that they could also do well in the event (Our school won 4 national medals last year, with RS being one of them, and this year, hordes of people came to the kickoff meetings to those events :) ).
bramblefang222

Post by bramblefang222 »

I did road scholar back in 8th grade (wow 4 years ago) and honestly, the worst part of it for me was my lack of interest. It is (well, at least back then) a pretty straightforward event. Make sure to know those map symbols haha :lol:
Warrensburg Science Olympiad
My 2018 events : Herpetology, Anatomy,
Helicopters, Microbe Mission, Write it Do it, Remote Sensing

Return to “2018 Study Events”