Fast Facts B

OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Fast Facts B

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

whovian11 wrote:What is the most common topic you've seen?
With what I've seen with "most common," the most frequent one that I keep noticing is "Famous Scientists."
This category has a few different rules than the other categories, as it not only asks for the first and surname, but it is the surname that must match with the letter. Say it is "F," you would put Enrico Fermi; although you have the first name in there as well, Fermi is the name that matters. However, some test makers prefer really specific topics while others go a little more broad, so it really just depends.
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
whovian11 wrote:What is the most common topic you've seen?
With what I've seen with "most common," the most frequent one that I keep noticing is "Famous Scientists."
This category has a few different rules than the other categories, as it not only asks for the first and surname, but it is the surname that must match with the letter. Say it is "F," you would put Enrico Fermi; although you have the first name in there as well, Fermi is the name that matters. However, some test makers prefer really specific topics while others go a little more broad, so it really just depends.
Keep in mind that you will not receive points for just the last name. Say the letter is 'T'; you cannot simply put 'Tesla', you would have to put 'Nikola Tesla'.
Also, at both Idaho state and National competition, we have had the category of 'Female Scientists'. This just goes to show that categories can be rather vague, or very specific.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
WhatScience?
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WhatScience? »

Elements from the periodic table do tend to show up.
CVMSAvalacheStudent
State: CA

Post by CVMSAvalacheStudent »

WhatScience? wrote:Elements from the periodic table do tend to show up.
Which ones? Helium? Gold? Silver? Be specific.
"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people."-Steve Jobs
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY

Post by NeilMehta »

CVMSAvalacheStudent wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:Elements from the periodic table do tend to show up.
Which ones? Helium? Gold? Silver? Be specific.
Pretty much any element can show up...
I mean, every element does start with a letter. It matters more on what each competitor prefers to remember. For example, someone might rather remember Radium than Radon for R, but both are pretty valid
Last edited by NeilMehta on September 27th, 2017, 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

I mean that the topic is elements of the periodic table and they give letter. You have to put in an element that starts with that letter.
chick-fil-a for life
State: CA

Post by chick-fil-a for life »

What are some strategies for this event to try to maximize the amount of points?
i like the four piece chicken strips, with waffle fries and a cookies and cream milkshake at chick-fil-a.
NeilMehta
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: NY

Post by NeilMehta »

chick-fil-a for life wrote:What are some strategies for this event to try to maximize the amount of points?
Main strategy is to prioritize filling rows and columns over random boxes.
For example, this first grid only yields 10 points for 5 terms, while the second box yields 30:
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/10Ou ... sp=sharing
i can't feel my arms wtf i think i'm turning into a lamp

voted least likely to sleep 2018, most likely to sleep in class 2017+2018, biggest procrastinator 2018
Polarrr

Post by Polarrr »

chick-fil-a for life wrote:What are some strategies for this event to try to maximize the amount of points?
I would say a notable strategy, as in almost every other event, is to guess if you don't know the answer. Remember, you won't be penalized for guessing, and you may even get the right answer. ;)
alip26
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by alip26 »

Many topics that come up during Fast Facts come from other events. That being said, taking study events such as A&P and Solar System may help.
2019-2020 Events:
Boomilever, Chem Lab, Ornithology

Return to “2018 Lab Events”