State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: SciOly Assassination 115: Pictures at an Exhibition

Post by Alex-RCHS » October 6th, 2017, 12:42 pm

I know who it is, dang it.

I used the vignere cipher and got itsbernarddangit when using the key "key."

I accuse bernard of being the sassy.
It's a shame this game fizzled out, though.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Post by whythelongface » October 6th, 2017, 1:10 pm

Alex-RCHS wrote:I know who it is, dang it.

I tried using the "decrypt" setting with "key" and did not get that. It only works with the "encrypt" function. East, mistake on your part?
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard » October 6th, 2017, 1:28 pm

Congratulations, you got me. Thanks for a game that was fun for me, and I hope you had fun as well. Special thanks to daydreamer0023 for the opportunity, and Eaststroudsburg13, Taro, Person and NeilMehta for their commentary about my clues. Good work to Person for suspecting me after the first clue, Alex-RCHS for correctly accusing me, and all the officers and civilians who stayed along for the whole game.

I've explained all my intended clues below. One ID clue was spread across more than one post: the first letter of each post with a clue when put in order spells my username, B-E-R-N-A-R-D. After finished my name once I went around for a second time...

Code: Select all

&bernard Hey guys
&bernard I'm the sassy
&bernard Go for it
Assassinator wrote:SciOly Assassination 115: Pictures at an Exhibition

It's late into the night and you're preparing paintings for the biennial exhibition at the North Dakota Museum Of Art the following day. As you near the last shipment of paintings that need framing, one catches your eye. "No way!" You briefly rejoice at the sight of a painting thought to be lost to history. "Could it really be by the Ich. Wunder?" As you tear back its dusty brown paper wrapping to verify its authenticity, you notice a deep red monogram printed on the margin of its canvas. By the night's end, you've come across five other similarly printed monograms: D-R-U-M-E-R. Your already dim bulb begins to flicker, and you get an eerie feeling you are being watched...

The rules for this game are mostly similar to past games, with some changes.
1. The officers will be the next five people who post in the forum expressing their interest along with the name of any artwork. Put in a bit of thought before posting. If you have not been around for a while, it is less likely that you will be able to identify me.
2. There will be no informants, but civilians may post.
3. I will provide clues which plainly point to my next victim, and occasionally to myself.
4. Each clue will last at least 48 hours unless explicitly said otherwise, after which I will make my kill.
5. People will die. However, there are some exceptions. I will not kill administrators or moderators without their express permission. In return, I ask that they not reveal my identity.
6. Officers may either protect one person per clue or make an accusation as to my identity, but not both.
7. Once an officer has run out of accusations to use, he may not accuse or protect anyone, and the next aspiring officer who can post a correct answer to the clue can be permitted take the vacant spot.
8. When accusing someone of being Assassinator you must use the following template "I accuse (place name here) because (give reason here)." If you don't use this template when accusing the accusation won't count. In addition to being used for accusations, this format MUST also be used for protections or those will not count, even if the protection is cast on the correct user.
9. If I do not reply in 7 days after all protects are made, each officer gets a free accusation. However, that accusation must be made next time the user posts and cannot be stored as an extra one to use later.
10. Once "killed," a user may not post about the identity of the assassinator. Absolutely no ghosts at all, or I might consider killing you twice.
11. Each officer begins with one accusation. You will earn an accusation with each correct protection.
12. I win after 12 incorrect accusations have been made, but the number needed to win goes down by one with each kill, or I win if I kill all the officers before you figure out who I am. The officers win if you correctly identify me before this happens.
13. I may or may not continue to post with my true account, and may provide hints there.
14. If I see it fit, I may decide to add rules during the game.
Assassinator wrote:Boarding call! Invented in 1804, the steam locomotive quickly became a primary mode of transport for migrants and industry. Though the first railroads were constructed in the northeast, with many lines running down the shore for transportation of goods, by the end of the century, the Transcontinental Railroad had united west and east. This painting of the locomotive by Howard Fogg captures the spirit of the states: always moving forward.

The officers are maxxxxx, Froggie, texas, Alex-RCHS, and dragonfruit35. Welcome aboard.

"Nobody’s ever been arrested for a murder; they have only ever been arrested for not planning it properly."
This clue targets Raleway. It uses a homonym of the username: railway. A reverse image search pulls up the original, whose title is insignificant, but closer inspection reveals a single difference in one of the train's plates, a letter 'W' instead of 6405 found on other plates. This is a characteristic letter of the font Raleway. The phrase "down the shore" is a phrase used in New Jersey, Raleway's state of residence. There is no ID clue here, though at one point I had an obsession with the font Raleway, and New Jersey is one of my favorite states for Science Olympiad reasons.

Assassinator wrote:Early 1900's saw the rise of the automobile and aeroplane, contributing to the decline of rail transportation. Raleway is dead.

The twentieth century was also home to populist movemets in both west and east. Anthems of patriotism sung by the masses reinforced mighty dictatorships casting bloodshed on dissidents involved in civil unrest. These ruthless administrations made clear the few avenues available for opposition: my way or the highway.

"Large portraits of Mao on wooden boards several feet high stood at main street corners. Painted to make the old man look extremely youthful, healthy, and fat, these pictures provided a mocking contrast to the thin, pale-faced pedestrians walking listlessly below them."
This clue targets EastStroudsburg13 and focuses on the east. "Anthems of patriotism" along with the picture from the cultural revolution alludes to "The East is Red." Mention of dictatorships subtly references the many jokes about site admins being dictators. It is unintentional but interesting that both the Cultural Revolution and admin usernames on this site involve red. The words "civil," "avenue," and "highway" refer to EastStroudsburg13's degree in Civil Engineering and his upcoming job involving traffic patterns. This clue focuses on my Chinese heritage (though not to be mistaken as a political stance).
Assassinator wrote:Rank and file, low no more; for the East is Red and EastStroudsburg13 is dead!

The whole of humanity in conflict leaves no victors, only the deepest imprints on survivors and stone. The countless injured wither away in the beds of desolate hospitals, and those who remaine crawl through life debilitated and uncertain of what afflictions lie before them, entrusting all hope in rituals of the thousands that may bring them a death without pain.

"The 20th century was a test bed for big ideas - fascism, communism, the atomic bomb." Let it be known that all failed, and may none be tried again.
This clue targets Person. The imprints on stone refers to the imprints of objects and bodies seared into stone by the impact of the atomic bomb at Hiroshima. The "rituals of the thousands" refers to the belief in Japan that if one folds a thousand paper cranes, any wish may be granted. This ritual is well-known in Japan but was popularized through the story of Sadako Sasaki, a victim of World War II and the inspiration for the short historical novel Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes. Person has a crane as his avatar.
Assassinator wrote:Nearly fifty thousand were found dead amongst the rubble at Hiroshima, including Person. The impact of the bomb left imprints in stone of those killed instantly and objects in the path of explosion.

Here, we see a different imprint of man, immortalized by MicheLangelo in 1644. Perhaps a subject of the ranks of informal physicians, suggested by his health superior to that of the common man. However, the detailed muscularity of his hands suggests he was a master of trade, perhaps an artisan like Da Vinci.

"I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free."
This clue targets DoctaDave. The subject of the sculpture is David. The capitalization of the letters 'M' and 'L' in MicheLangelo refers to his alma mater, Mira Loma. "Ranks of informal physicians" refers to the "Docta" part of his username, and "master of trade, perhaps an artisan like Da Vinci" refers to his successes with build events. This clue contains the first part of an ID clue, the birthdate of Antonio Stradivari.
Assassinator wrote:Artsts make no mistakes, only happy little accidents. Regardless of whether each subsequent stroke by a painter is made carelessly or not, the only mistake and artist can make is not to start. Only by closely examining the work can one deduce the artist's intent.

Congratulations dragonfruit35 for correctly protecting DoctaDave.

"We don't make mistakes, we just have happy accidents."
This clue targets NeilMehta. It refers to Neil's mistake of not including a picture in his bid for officer. This post along with the three previous kill clues include a typo in each, either omission of a letter or an extra letter. These letters can be slightly rearranged to spell N-E-I-L.
Assassinator wrote:Read something, hear something, say something! NeilMehta is dead.

A. speciosus is a nocturnal species of rodent in the family Muridae. They are seed-eating mice but in captivity they can be fed natural foods, rodent pellets, chocolate, burned sugar, or a combination of the above. First identified as a species in 1737, in modern times A. speciosus has been studied in laboratory. The mice appear to prefer foraging at night when they are less susceptible to predation; in daylight, the mice bolt quickly across terrain, using their tails for added agility.

Starting this round there is a new rule. Officers who do not protect for two consecutive rounds will be ejected.
This clue targets pikachu4919. The common name for A. speciosus is Japanese field mouse, which alludes to a well-known cartoon Japanese mouse, Pikachu. The mention of "bolting" and using "tails" refers to the lightening bolt-shaped tail of Pikachu. "Chocolate" refers to her visit to the Hershey factory earlier this summer, and "burned sugar" refers to caramel, which sounds like the name of her alma mater, Carmel High School. This clue contains the second part of an ID clue, the death year of Antonio Stradivari. It also mentions studying animals, which refers to my research involving animals.
Assassinator wrote:"Dear fellow Americans and congressmen joining me here in Washington, the State, of our Union is strong. From the Northeast to the great state of California, we are a strong tight-knit family who has made it through some very, very hard times. In our past year, employment has reached an all-time high, renewable energy usage is higher than ever, and our economy in the past months has peaked. It is with much hope and pride that I say: through the less merrier times we've endured, our kin would prosper."

Congratulations dragonfruit35 for correctly protecting pikachu4919.

"Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth."
This clue targets maxxxxx. The image is taken from the film xXx: State of the Union; I have previously referenced maxxxxx by this film, and his username has many consecutive x's. "From the Northeast to the great state of California" references his move from Pennsylvania to California for university. The third sentence has some parallelism, mentioning three statistics reaching their max. The last sentence of the clue attempts some auditory word play: "less merrier" may seem like Lower Merion, the high school of maxxxxx, and "kin would" may remind one of Bala Cynwyd, maxxxxx's hometown. This clue suggests an ID clue; I've referenced maxxxxx before in another topic using the xXx movie series. It also attempts to hint at Washington state, where I am from.
Assassinator wrote:Bears. Ursus arctos californicus, commonly known as the California grizzly bear, is an extinct subspecies of the grizzly. The bear was an integral part of the Southern California food chain, frequently impacting food chains at a national level. Unlike other species sharing its habitat, only the California grizzly bear could prey on any mammal. However, not all its hunts were for survival; on many occasions, grizzlies have been observed to severely injure prey only to not eat them, with the injured animal often reviving to live a hindered life. For this, the California grizzly has received recognition as the "second greatest mauler."

Congratulations maxxxxx for correctly protecting himself.
This clue targets bearasauras. He is a user from Southern California, and his username contains the word 'bear.' Even if you've never met him, perhaps you may know him from the IRC Wiki, which allows only him to eat other users, referenced by "only the California grizzly bear cold prey on any mammal." He is very involved at the state level in Southern California as well as the national level. This clue contains an ID clue; "mauler" is a homophone to the surname of German classical composer, Gustav Mahler. "Second greatest mauler" refers to his great Second Symphony, often referred to as his "Resurrection Symphony," which is hinted at by "the injured animal often reviving." I have mentioned in IRC several times that I am looking forward to the Seattle Symphony's rendition of Mahler 2 at the end of September.
Assassinator wrote:Early times of ancient Greece were dominated by the city-state Sparta. Despite the life-threatening cold of winters, Sparta was conveniently located beside a series of resource-rich great lakes. The Spartans used the lakes to their advantage, becoming the first group in recorded history to use stars for navigation. Their military might and technological developments made Sparta the primeval light and de facto leader of ancient Greece, moderating activites of neighboring city-states.

The Titans, whose accomplishments and culture were overshadowed by those of Sparta, were a lesser known nomadic group of ancient Greece. Lacking a military, the Titans were the first group to flourish in the arts, orchestrating elaborate rituals for their migrations throughout the year. Stone etchings discovered in 1899 reveal a hunter's funeral occuring during their third movement; (this reinforces the hypothesis that the Titans were nomadic, as the settled-city states had less respect for their food providers.)

Congratulations Froggie for correctly protecting bearasauras.

"I would love to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue."
This clue targets syo_astro. "Great lakes" refers to the region including Michigan, and Spartans is the mascot of the university he attends, the University of Michigan. Using "stars for navigation" refers to his interest in astronomy, and the "de factor leader...moderating activities" refers to him winning best moderator in Scioly.org Superlatives despite not being a moderator. This clue contains a number of ID clues, all relating to Gustav Mahler. "Titan" is a nickname for his first symphony, published in 1899, whose third movement is about a hunter's funeral. "Primeval light" is the English translation to the name of the fourth movement in Mahler's Resurreciton Symphony, "Urlicht." The score pictured includes the resurrection theme from this symphony.
Assassinator wrote:Rapid computation is a luxury modern scientists often fail to fully appreciate. The early days of science were characterized by chalkboard after chalkboard filled with calculations done by hand. Only a few decades after the invention of the electric vehicle supervised by Emerald City Electric and the first controlled human flight by the Wright brothers, the appearance of the supercomputer permitted dedicated calculation by machine, allowing the drafting of the first general rule of science.

syo_astro is dead.
This clue targets chalker. The picture of a chalkboard is a play on his username, and physics on the chalkboard is because he is the chair of the national physics committee. Mention of supercomputers is a reference to his employment at the Ohio Supercomputer Center, the general rule is reference to general rule #1 of Science Olympiad that he often references in posts, and mention of human flight by the Wright brothers is a reference to his home state, Ohio, and Wright State University, where nationals has been held twice as of 2017. This clue contains an ID clue; I helped supervise Electric Vehicle at the national tournament at WSU in 2017, and I am from the "Emerald City," Seattle, WA.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: MD

Post by EastStroudsburg13 » October 6th, 2017, 1:34 pm

whythelongface wrote:
Alex-RCHS wrote:I know who it is, dang it.

I tried using the "decrypt" setting with "key" and did not get that. It only works with the "encrypt" function. East, mistake on your part?
I never make mistakes. Clues get solved by whatever means necessary.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!

Taro
Division: C

Post by Taro » October 6th, 2017, 1:39 pm

Whoo the game finally ended.

You guys missed the clue from bernard yelling about Mahler on the IRC tsk tsk.
These users thanked the author Taro for the post:
bernard (April 9th, 2020, 11:11 am)
Arcadia High School '22
#goapaches

“It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.” -Le Petit Prince

Tailsfan101
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: ID
Location: Philippians 3:20a "For our citizenship is in heaven"

Post by Tailsfan101 » October 6th, 2017, 2:02 pm

This was a long game. I'm glad it finally ended! Congrats, bernard!
2016-2021 Treasure Valley Homeschool, 2020-2021 Captain
2021 events: Disease Detectives, Designer Genes, Geologic Mapping, Write It Do It, Codebusters, Anatomy and Physiology

Assassinator for games 118: New Life and 136: A SciOly Pandemic
Selected Assassinators for games 121 and 148

whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface » October 6th, 2017, 2:33 pm

Congratulations all for a game well played... anticipating the next one.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!

pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 » October 6th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Lol I’m not sure how many people would have actually known about my adventure to Hershey’s Chocolate World tbh lol
These users thanked the author pikachu4919 for the post:
bernard (April 9th, 2020, 11:11 am)
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '20
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

Not throwin' away my shot!
MY CABBAGES!

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

WhatScience?

Post by WhatScience? » October 7th, 2017, 9:08 am

If someone is not an officer, can they still help on clues?

Also, how do you become the assasinator

Alex-RCHS
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS » October 7th, 2017, 11:27 am

WhatScience? wrote:If someone is not an officer, can they still help on clues?

Also, how do you become the assasinator
Yes, generally everyone is encouraged to help on clues if they want to.

The person who correctly accuses the sassy picks the next sassy. Consequently, I have already made my pick and the next game will be started at their leisure.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022

Return to “Assassinator Games”