Reach For The Stars

rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Re: Reach For The Stars

Post by rfscoach »

For RFS T-tauri stars would fall under stellar evolution, so you are better off knowing about them.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
crabnebula143
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by crabnebula143 »

for RFS, are we going to need to know the right ascension + declination of a star?? thnx
BC / Harriton High School
'We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved.'
'Having dined on their companions, they now lie at the center of the cluster, waiting for more food to arrive.'
pjgscioisamazing
State: NY

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

crabnebula143 wrote:for RFS, are we going to need to know the right ascension + declination of a star?? thnx
I would highly doubt you would have to memorize/ have on your sheet the RA and Dec of the stars/objects. If there is anything with Ra and Dec they would probably give it to you, for example they could hav an ID chart, give you the RA/Dec and then you would have to fill in the rest of the chart. (obviously you would have a star chart on teh event as well)
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
crabnebula143
State: PA

Post by crabnebula143 »

thnx, pigscioisamaizing!!! (i hope i spelled ur username correctly)
Does any1 know what right ascension and/or declination is? thnx :D
BC / Harriton High School
'We say we love flowers, yet we pluck them. We say we love trees, yet we cut them down. And people still wonder why some are afraid when told they are loved.'
'Having dined on their companions, they now lie at the center of the cluster, waiting for more food to arrive.'
jcms science boy
Division: B

Reach For The Stars

Post by jcms science boy »

For state competition do we go into a planetarium and find stars/constellations/deep sky objects?
pjgscioisamazing

crabnebula143 wrote:thnx, pigscioisamaizing!!! (i hope i spelled ur username correctly)
Does any1 know what right ascension and/or declination is? thnx :D
Right ascension and Declination is the Latitude and Longitude of the celestial sphere. The celestial sphere is pretty much the earth expanded and all the stars are on it on the sphere. There is a celestial equator (0° Declination) which is just the equator of the earth, but expanded onto the celestial sphere. Declination is like the latitude of the sky. It is measured in +/- degrees. All positive degrees are above the celestial equator, and all negative degrees are below. Right ascension is like the longitude of the sky. It is measured in hours and minutes. Possibly in seconds, but I don't think they would go that in-depth. It starts at 0h0m and goes around the celestial sphere until it gets back to 0h0m which would complete 24 hrs, just like in a day. Hope that helped.

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
pjgscioisamazing

jcms science boy wrote:For state competition do we go into a planetarium and find stars/constellations/deep sky objects?
It all depends on what state you are in, and who the writer of the event is. Last year ('08) my regionals was an inflatable planetarium, my states was an inflatable planetarium, and nationals was star charts. This year ('09) my regionals was star maps. I don't know what states will be, so I will have to be prepared for both. You should definitely practice with star maps, and try to get at least accustomed to a planetarium. For star maps, one of the most important things- STUDY BAD STAR CHARTS!!! The chance of getting a bad star chart is definitely there, so you gotta be ready for anything.

yousmellchinese123
Division: C

Post by yousmellchinese123 »

After we learn the basic neccesities for RFS, like everything that is stated in the rule book, what would you suggest we go more into detail in?
Also, in last year's competition, did you encounter any unusual questions on your test, if so can you state them?

Thank you in advance for responding to those who do!
2010 Events: Elevated Bridge, Mission Possible, Ornithology, Astronomy, Experimental Design
2011 Events: Mission Possible, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek
2012 Events: Robot Arm, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek, Thermodynamics
pjgscioisamazing

yousmellchinese123 wrote:After we learn the basic neccesities for RFS, like everything that is stated in the rule book, what would you suggest we go more into detail in?
Also, in last year's competition, did you encounter any unusual questions on your test, if so can you state them?

Thank you in advance for responding to those who do!
Really, after you get most of the in-depth knowledge of the stuff in the rule book down there isn't TOO much left to do. Let me get my rule book... I would definintely know like the structure of the sun, I use a picture like this on my info sheet: Image

I would know the evolution of stars very well- all mass levels- everything from a protostar that will become a brown dwarf, to a protostar that will become a supergiant.

Also, know the H-R diagram well, and DEFINITELY know about globular clusters and their H-R diagrams. I have encountered many questions about globular clusters and their H-R diagrams.

As for weird questions I really don't know of any that I can think of. Last year at nationals I was a little surprised by the T Tauri questions but I think I got them :lol:

Hope I could help. :D

yousmellchinese123
Division: C

Post by yousmellchinese123 »

Thanks pj o-o I can't spell that whole thing out. I'm sorry.
That picture looks good for my sheet XD But I think I know the structure pretty well. As well as some of the info.
Well I still have some weeks till states. I'll study some more other things like evolution. I can keep getting that confused. :/
We encountered some t tauris in our county test. We missed them all I think XD
2010 Events: Elevated Bridge, Mission Possible, Ornithology, Astronomy, Experimental Design
2011 Events: Mission Possible, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek
2012 Events: Robot Arm, Astronomy, Experimental Design, Tech Trek, Thermodynamics

Return to “2009 Study Events”