Dynamic Planet B/C

y1008083
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dynamic Planet B/C

Post by y1008083 »

Do anyone of you know how to calculate for isostasy and links for isostacy? Thanks!
OrigamiPlanet
Division: C
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

y1008083 wrote:Do anyone of you know how to calculate for isostasy and links for isostacy? Thanks!
Calculating isostasy is really difficult. I can post you a link to it, but it seems awfully complicated... There's two forms of isostasy, so you might want to investigate that.

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~ecalais/teac ... avity5.pdf
Div. C - Cumberland Valley High School

Events
Astronomy; Codebusters; Dynamic Planet

Howdy partner ;)

Email me for anything! Aliases are HeeYaww and v_v_vle
OrigamiPlanet

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

By chance, does anyone know a decent textbook to get for dynamic planet? I've looked at some, but they seem pricey and I want to know if there's a cheaper, but still efficient alternative.

Events

Howdy partner ;)

knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

y1008083 wrote:Do anyone of you know how to calculate for isostasy and links for isostacy? Thanks!
Based on the types of (Airy) isostasy problems I'd seen on previous tests, I wrote a bunch of practice problems for a camp over the summer which you can find at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m_3 ... sp=sharing if they make any sense?

Also, https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing were the slides I used to teach the topic initially, but I guess it's not as useful without somebody explaining what the slides mean... and even with explanations a lot of people struggled with it, so it's a hard topic, it's reasonable if you can't understand it initially.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
fffurious
State: CA

Post by fffurious »

What's a good way to format your notes for this event? I've only ever happened to do events with 1-page note sheets, and I'm wondering what the best way to organize notes for this is.
OrigamiPlanet

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

fffurious wrote:What's a good way to format your notes for this event? I've only ever happened to do events with 1-page note sheets, and I'm wondering what the best way to organize notes for this is.
A good starting outline would be to just have each of the letters down as a header - if you start to see a lot of information for one specific part in the category, make a subheader for that. Keep it simple, don't make it too sophisticated and complicated.

Events

Howdy partner ;)

knottingpurple
Division: Grad
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

OrigamiPlanet wrote:
fffurious wrote:What's a good way to format your notes for this event? I've only ever happened to do events with 1-page note sheets, and I'm wondering what the best way to organize notes for this is.
A good starting outline would be to just have each of the letters down as a header - if you start to see a lot of information for one specific part in the category, make a subheader for that. Keep it simple, don't make it too sophisticated and complicated.
Definitely having notes on each of the subtopics - and knowing where to find each of those subtopics on your notes sheet - is really useful. I find that later in the season I know a lot of the basic stuff for each topic, so I don't need it on the notes sheet, and that makes it more organised. And then any leftover space in your 4 pages I would devote to lots of diagrams, because labelling of layers of the earth and basins and tectonic plates and all sorts of things does come up.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
jonathanzhang53

Post by jonathanzhang53 »

Is an aulacogen considered a sedimentary/tectonic basin?
OrigamiPlanet

Post by OrigamiPlanet »

jonathanzhang53 wrote:Is an aulacogen considered a sedimentary/tectonic basin?
From what I know, an aulacogen can BECOME a tectonic basin, but I wouldn't necessarily think that it itself is a tectonic basin.

Events

Howdy partner ;)

shamu111

Post by shamu111 »

Could someone clarify the use of the Gutenberg Discontinuity for me? I thought it was used to define the core mantle boundary, but this article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithosphe ... e_boundary) says it is also close to the lithosphere asthenosphere boundary. These two (Core mantle and lithosphere asthenosphere) do not appear to be near one another at all, unless I am missing something here.

Return to “2018 Study Events”