Fast Facts B

hgmsscienceolympiad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fast Facts B

Post by hgmsscienceolympiad »

In addition to a perfect score of 250 being possible on each board (thus preventing lazy event prep), all categories are aligned with the College and Career Readiness Standards. If I understand that correctly, that's all middle school science standards (my district uses Next Generation Science Standards). Anyone have any insight in to this?
weinhold

Post by weinhold »

The rules say each round is 5 minutes, but many of the examples (including 2018) say a round is 6 minutes. Does anyone know for certain?
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

Hello, I am doing my second year in fast facts and I would love some study tips and or help. Please respond when you can or as soon as possible. if you have tips or help because February gets closer every day!
Thanks!
Lisa
WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

hgmsscienceolympiad wrote:In addition to a perfect score of 250 being possible on each board (thus preventing lazy event prep), all categories are aligned with the College and Career Readiness Standards. If I understand that correctly, that's all middle school science standards (my district uses Next Generation Science Standards). Anyone have any insight in to this?
I wouldn't get too caught up in the parameters saying something should be easy....scioly is about going above and beyond.
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

Lisa wrote:Hello, I am doing my second year in fast facts and I would love some study tips and or help. Please respond when you can or as soon as possible. if you have tips or help because February gets closer every day!
Thanks!
Lisa
Honestly, make tests and trade them with others. Looking for a place to trade then check our the site random human made and posted on the general chat. http://sciolytestexchange.freeforums.net/

There are none in the test exchange as nobody actively makes these tests to share but I do have three I can trade with you.
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

WhatScience? wrote:
Lisa wrote:Hello, I am doing my second year in fast facts and I would love some study tips and or help. Please respond when you can or as soon as possible. if you have tips or help because February gets closer every day!
Thanks!
Lisa
Honestly, make tests and trade them with others. Looking for a place to trade then check our the site random human made and posted on the general chat. http://sciolytestexchange.freeforums.net/

There are none in the test exchange as nobody actively makes these tests to share but I do have three I can trade with you.
Well, it's such a new event since they just started it last year, so of course there aren't that many tests out there for it.

Also @Lisa, if you don't have anything to trade, don't worry too much about it, as there are plenty of users on this site that I'm sure could offer free help without asking for anything in return. Personally, I've never done this event, and I'm an alum so I never will; thus, I don't think I'm one of those users that could help specifically, but I'm sure there are several others. I could definitely try my best to offer some help if no one else is willing to, though.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
Entomology
State: CA

Post by Entomology »

Thanks!
Lisa
Hi Lisa,

I would recommend looking at the following:

Fast Facts Tests
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2018_ ... Fast_Facts
Fast Facts Wiki
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Fast_Facts
Fast Facts Question Marathon
viewtopic.php?f=266&t=10916

Like pika said above, there are also plenty of users on scioly.org that would be more than happy to help! Just ask on IRC or in a forum like this :)
CCA '20 Captain
Herpetology, Fossils, Boomilever, Mousetrap Vehicle
chick-fil-a for life
State: CA

Post by chick-fil-a for life »

Does anyone know if you can use the same term in two different categories on the same grid?
e.g. Hooke's law under scientific laws and physics terms
i like the four piece chicken strips, with waffle fries and a cookies and cream milkshake at chick-fil-a.
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

NeilMehta wrote:
Jesusfather123 wrote:First time trying fast facts this year. How to prepare for this event? What are general topics they ask?
The event draws upon topics from pretty much every field of science, so it's very important to have a high level of general knowledge.
Common topics include:
-Human bones
-Scientific phenomena
-Stars
-Constellations
-Rocks/Minerals
-Physical properties
-Units of measurement
-Famous scientist
-Nobel prize winner for [science category]
-Programming languages
-Diseases
-Elements

This is just a short list, and there are countless possibilities for topics. Therefore, a good way to prepare is to prepare for all of your other study events in the first place, as those terms from other events can often show up in a fast facts test. In addition, one method is to come up with a chart with as many topics as possible, and to study the chart and try to memorize every single category. This event has an extremely high skill cap, so there's always room for practice and improvement.
Thanks for the advice!
JionPark

Post by JionPark »

How can you make your own fast fact quiz?

Return to “2018 Lab Events”