sprynder
Division: C
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Herpetology B/C

Post by sprynder »

Does anyone know what the difference is between typhlopidae and leptotyphlopidae?
ellesbelles
State: FL

Post by ellesbelles »

I've only been gathering content for what the list gives (family/genus), but at the last two invitationals, they had mostly questions on specific species....
Is the event supervisor not interpreting the event description correctly or should I study all the species too? (there can be up to 50 in one genus :| )
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

ellesbelles wrote:I've only been gathering content for what the list gives (family/genus), but at the last two invitationals, they had mostly questions on specific species....
Is the event supervisor not interpreting the event description correctly or should I study all the species too? (there can be up to 50 in one genus :| )
UGA's test was definitely outside the rules, in direct contradiction to 3.d (not to mention other problems...). I have not seen Johns Creek's test yet, so I cannot comment on that.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ellesbelles
State: FL

Post by ellesbelles »

Unome wrote:
ellesbelles wrote:I've only been gathering content for what the list gives (family/genus), but at the last two invitationals, they had mostly questions on specific species....
UGA's test was definitely outside the rules, in direct contradiction to 3.d (not to mention other problems...). I have not seen Johns Creek's test yet, so I cannot comment on that.
At Johns Creek, they asked for the species common name (not genus/family common name) and I think species name was a tiebreaker.
dvegadvol

Post by dvegadvol »

The 1st specimen on the UGA Herpetology test is Tomistoma schlegelli, common name False gharial. This species is native to Peninsular Malaysia, Borneo, Sumatra and Java.

We're being tested on North American reptiles and amphibians, correct?

The 5th specimen is the Arabian Gulf Sea Snake which is native to the Indian Ocean from the Persian Gulf to the coasts of Thailand!

The 8th specimen is an introduced species.

The 9th species is a Bolivian native, Telmatobius marmoratus, the marbled water frog,

The 10th species is The Lesser Antillean iguana, Iguana delicatissima

The 11th species is Abronia taeniata is a vulnerable species of arboreal alligator lizard from Central Mexico

The 12th species is the Adelaide pygmy blue-tongue skink Tiliqua adelaidens is from Southern Australia

The 13th species is The African giant toad Amietophrynus superciliaris from Cameroon and other parts of Africa

The 14th species is Triturus cristatus a newt from Eurasia.

That must have been a frustrating test for all participants...
sshiroma
State: HI

Post by sshiroma »

Just for clarification, the herpetology tests are supposed to cover organisms that are on the Official National List as well as the modified State/Regional list?
Unome

Post by Unome »

sshiroma wrote:Just for clarification, the herpetology tests are supposed to cover organisms that are on the Official National List as well as the modified State/Regional list?
If your state or regional has a list, the test at that tournament (or regionals as well in the case of a state list) should only cover what is on that list, and typically may not cover anything that's on the national list but not on the appropriate state/regional list.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
dvegadvol

Post by dvegadvol »

So how are you setting up your binders? When the number of species in a Genus is large (and quite varied) arranging them is, for lack of a better term, messy. For something like Chelydridae with two species, not a problem. Graptemys, however has fifteen or so very different species and there are 27 or so Sceloporus. I'm making the binder according to Genus, but it feels like I need a data sheet for many of the individuals... In addition, the sizes, colors and behavioral differences really won't allow a simple Phlethodontidae sheet. What are you all doing?
Almandine
State: MN

Post by Almandine »

Guys fun fact: If you want to know the difference between mud and musk turtle, just count their lateral scutes, if its brown, its a mud turtle.
Herpetology ONLY HERPETOLOGY
Unome

Post by Unome »

Almandine wrote:...count... brown...
...uhh
Userpage

Return to “2018 Study Events”