Hovercraft B/C

dmis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hovercraft B/C

Post by dmis »

farmerjoe279 wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:
farmerjoe279 wrote:So exactly what kid of design are you using for your skirt. (Wall,Bag, Finger)
My hovercraft is barely lifting with 1 penny roll so I think its the problem with my skirt. (I'm pretty sure my fan can put me in the Hospital :P)
My skirt is just a plastic bag with a big hole in the middle.
I was able to lift more than 2kg with a wimpy skirt like that. I Have to agree with the others in that the issue is most probably your fan, although it could be your power source
My fan can cut of a finger. A FINGER! Also I think i have a good battery. Probably because my motor ways like 2 pounds :P
Spinning fast and having a sharp edge does not necessarily make a blade best for the hovercaft. Thought realistically, I would expect you are right about the problem,
geniusjohn5
Division: C

Post by geniusjohn5 »

Someone told me that holes poked in the skirt of a Hovercraft make it more effective? Can someone explain how so?
The biologist speculates, "What's the meaning of life?"
The physicist asks, "In the universe, does matter really matter?"
The chemist replies, "I shall find solutions to both questions."
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

geniusjohn5 wrote:Someone told me that holes poked in the skirt of a Hovercraft make it more effective? Can someone explain how so?
Without holes in the skirt (or some sort of opening), there's no hovering. The hovering is caused by air rapidly rushing out of the hole/holes (anywhere from one fairly small hole to dozens/hundreds of miniscule ones) and escaping horizontally, pushing the bottom of the skirt up.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
geniusjohn5

Post by geniusjohn5 »

What should I use for mass testing? I know that at the competition, rolls of pennies will be provided. But when I'm testing/practicing on my own, I obviously don't have 800 total pennies at my disposal :P
So my question is where and how can I get rolls of pennies?
If not, what can I use for mass testing for my hovercraft?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

geniusjohn5 wrote:What should I use for mass testing? I know that at the competition, rolls of pennies will be provided. But when I'm testing/practicing on my own, I obviously don't have 800 total pennies at my disposal :P
So my question is where and how can I get rolls of pennies?
If not, what can I use for mass testing for my hovercraft?
You can get rolls of pennies from most banks (or so I've heard).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
geniusjohn5

Post by geniusjohn5 »

Unome wrote:
geniusjohn5 wrote:Someone told me that holes poked in the skirt of a Hovercraft make it more effective? Can someone explain how so?
Without holes in the skirt (or some sort of opening), there's no hovering. The hovering is caused by air rapidly rushing out of the hole/holes (anywhere from one fairly small hole to dozens/hundreds of miniscule ones) and escaping horizontally, pushing the bottom of the skirt up.

Sorry I'm very new to Hovercraft? Can you elaborate on that concept more? Thanks!
reed303

Post by reed303 »

geniusjohn5 wrote:
Unome wrote:

Sorry I'm very new to Hovercraft? Can you elaborate on that concept more? Thanks!
Some reading here may help: https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Hovercraft#Skirt
Div B Asst Coach 2012-2021
mattruff

Post by mattruff »

Are we able to use elastic band motors in our hovercraft?
SPP SciO
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by SPP SciO »

dmis wrote:
farmerjoe279 wrote:
shrewdPanther46 wrote:
I was able to lift more than 2kg with a wimpy skirt like that. I Have to agree with the others in that the issue is most probably your fan, although it could be your power source
My fan can cut of a finger. A FINGER! Also I think i have a good battery. Probably because my motor ways like 2 pounds :P
Spinning fast and having a sharp edge does not necessarily make a blade best for the hovercaft. Thought realistically, I would expect you are right about the problem,
Our team is having some trouble solving the weight problem. The more powerful the motor, more powerful battery, all add extra weight. Last year, it wasn't a problem, because of the 2kg limit, but the penny challenge is tough!

Here's what we're working with:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/4702514 for a propulsion fan,
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/2560506 for the lift fan.

Both of them are running on 8.4v NiMH battery packs, which are much heavier than equivalent output lithium batteries. I am not sure if I would advise other teams to buy these fans, since they're expensive, and in our limited experience, they haven't been working out great. The first one is super dangerous too - shielding absolutely a must before even turning it on to test.
Coach
MS 821 Sunset Park Prep
http://www.sppscio.com
Birdmusic
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by Birdmusic »

mattruff wrote:Are we able to use elastic band motors in our hovercraft?
I doubt that would be very effective, since everyone else will probably be using electrical motors, however, it is allowed.
I like birds.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”