Types of Glues

ashucha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Types of Glues

Post by ashucha » October 30th, 2017, 6:19 pm

Hey! I was just wondering which type of glue would be the best all-round and what I should look for in the glues. Thank you for your help in advance! ;)

cheese
Division: C

Re: Types of Glues

Post by cheese » October 30th, 2017, 7:58 pm

There are many types of glue. Most builders use cyanoacrylate, which is a super-glue that dries fairly fast. There are different consistencies of it -thin, medium, and thick. The thinner, the less you have to put on, which equals less weight. The problem with it is that it is more difficult to use and sometimes you have to use pipettes. In the end, it is up to the builder.
2018 Nationals: 2nd Place Mystery Architecture || 6th Place Battery Buggy
Cheese's Userpage

melissaseguraa

Post by melissaseguraa » December 10th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Hey! I tend to use Gorilla glue (not the gel) with accelerator to have it dry faster. I am sure you can find lighter glues out there though, good luck! :D

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome » December 10th, 2017, 1:52 pm

In almost every scenario, CA glue is the best (though specific thicknesses of CA glue work differently). The only situation I can think of where something else has been used successfully is in Boomilever, where some competitors used gorilla glue to attach the tension piece at the top, since gorilla glue has the requisite strength whereas it's hard to get enough surface area for CA glue to be as effective.
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Snarknado
State: WA

Post by Snarknado » December 11th, 2017, 7:13 pm

Unome wrote:In almost every scenario, CA glue is the best (though specific thicknesses of CA glue work differently). The only situation I can think of where something else has been used successfully is in Boomilever, where some competitors used gorilla glue to attach the tension piece at the top, since gorilla glue has the requisite strength whereas it's hard to get enough surface area for CA glue to be as effective.
How much worse is standard wood glue such as Titebond II in comparison to CA?
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"

DoctaDave
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave » December 11th, 2017, 11:06 pm

Snarknado wrote:
Unome wrote:In almost every scenario, CA glue is the best (though specific thicknesses of CA glue work differently). The only situation I can think of where something else has been used successfully is in Boomilever, where some competitors used gorilla glue to attach the tension piece at the top, since gorilla glue has the requisite strength whereas it's hard to get enough surface area for CA glue to be as effective.
It will be just as strong, but wood glues, unless very watered down, will be heavier than the necessary amount of CA glue required for a typical joint. Also, wood glues are harder to use as they take a long time to dry, where CA will dry almost instantaneously.

Also, gorilla glue is pretty much garbage for almost all applications. It's just hyped a lot through good marketing, but the foaming property of gorilla glue makes for very weak joints in both tension and compression (read this for more info https://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/gorilla_glue.html).

Snarknado
State: WA

Post by Snarknado » December 12th, 2017, 9:02 am

DoctaDave wrote:
Snarknado wrote:
It will be just as strong, but wood glues, unless very watered down, will be heavier than the necessary amount of CA glue required for a typical joint. Also, wood glues are harder to use as they take a long time to dry, where CA will dry almost instantaneously.

Also, gorilla glue is pretty much garbage for almost all applications. It's just hyped a lot through good marketing, but the foaming property of gorilla glue makes for very weak joints in both tension and compression (read this for more info https://woodgears.ca/joint_strength/gorilla_glue.html).
Yeah, Gorilla Glue is straight-up trash; but in regards to the issue of drying wood glue, can't you dry it out in a oven, or does this create/risk further issues?
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"

Return to “Towers B/C”