Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Freedom Flight Kit

Post by Raleway »

Nano1llus10n wrote:
wx4caster wrote:We have built the FF chinook copters but as others have stated, they are very fragile. So we decided to build a holding rig to make loading the motors easier. We used pictures from Dave's instructions to build a rig similar to his. (He didn't provide any dimensions for a rig, which is understandable considering how busy he is) I have put together a two page powerpoint showing all the dimensions we have used, in case anyone is interested. It turned out really nice, and hopefully testing later today will go more smoothly.
Yes, it would be very helpful to us if you could send a link to those blueprints here.
Seconded
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Been thanked: 0

Post by retired1 »

I have not got my chopper kit yet so I am not familiar with the loading. Are you winding on the chopper or winding on a stooge/torque meter and transferring the band?
I would like the fixture link when you can.
wx4caster
State: KS

Post by wx4caster »

Retired,

We are winding off the copter rig, then transferring the motor to the copter. At least that is how we are doing it now. We will see how testing goes.
Results R/S
C 2014 = Scrambler - 1/1
C 2015 = Scrambler 2/3, Wright Stuff, 2/5, Bungy Drop, 4/-
C 2016 = Electric V. 1/2 , Wright 2/7
C 2017 = Electric V 1/1 , Helicop 1/1, Hover 2/-
C 2018 = Mouse V 1/1, Helicop 2/4
wx4caster
State: KS

Post by wx4caster »

Raleway wrote:
Nano1llus10n wrote:
wx4caster wrote:We have built the FF chinook copters but as others have stated, they are very fragile. So we decided to build a holding rig to make loading the motors easier. We used pictures from Dave's instructions to build a rig similar to his. (He didn't provide any dimensions for a rig, which is understandable considering how busy he is) I have put together a two page powerpoint showing all the dimensions we have used, in case anyone is interested. It turned out really nice, and hopefully testing later today will go more smoothly.
Yes, it would be very helpful to us if you could send a link to those blueprints here.
Seconded
Okay here ya go. Here is the link to the FF chinook holding rig that we built off of Dave's original design. I sent a copy to Dave, and he loved it, and it has his blessing. I hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6ceox9swjhmd ... 2.pdf?dl=0
Results R/S
C 2014 = Scrambler - 1/1
C 2015 = Scrambler 2/3, Wright Stuff, 2/5, Bungy Drop, 4/-
C 2016 = Electric V. 1/2 , Wright 2/7
C 2017 = Electric V 1/1 , Helicop 1/1, Hover 2/-
C 2018 = Mouse V 1/1, Helicop 2/4
Nano1llus10n
State: TX

Post by Nano1llus10n »

wx4caster wrote:
Raleway wrote:
Nano1llus10n wrote: Yes, it would be very helpful to us if you could send a link to those blueprints here.
Seconded
Okay here ya go. Here is the link to the FF chinook holding rig that we built off of Dave's original design. I sent a copy to Dave, and he loved it, and it has his blessing. I hope this helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f6ceox9swjhmd ... 2.pdf?dl=0
Thank you so much for this! This loading dock will definitely help with assembly during competition.
[b]Event:[/b] MIT/R/S/N
[b]Anatomy and Physiology:[/b] 8/3/2/26
[b]Helicopters:[/b] 11/-/2/43
[b]Microbe Mission:[/b] 13/2/2/8
[b]Event:[/b] R/S/N
[b]Anatomy and Physiology:[/b] 1/2/8
[b]Designer Genes:[/b] 1/2/4
[b]Protein Modeling:[/b] 1/3/2
[b]Wright Stuff:[/b] 2/2/9

Seven Lakes High School '21
sciencegirl03
State: MI

Post by sciencegirl03 »

Finished building FF chinook. The kit is very good and instructions are detailed, but helicopter definitely needs to be handled delicately.

We noticed that the helicopter flips over and flies with the rotors on top. This has happened twice for us. What am I doing wrong? :?
Could our blades be flipped? The curved up surface of our blades is pointed up (towards the Balsa disc). We think they are aligned correctly.

Any help is appreciated. :)
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

2019 Nationals:
Wright Stuff: 3rd
Protein Modeling: 4th
Geologic Mapping: 5th
Raleway
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Raleway »

sciencegirl03 wrote:Finished building FF chinook. The kit is very good and instructions are detailed, but helicopter definitely needs to be handled delicately.

We noticed that the helicopter flips over and flies with the rotors on top. This has happened twice for us. What am I doing wrong? :?
Could our blades be flipped? The curved up surface of our blades is pointed up (towards the Balsa disc). We think they are aligned correctly.

Any help is appreciated. :)
Does your helicopter flip back around ever? Does it go up straight and come down straight? Flipping over should be quite difficult given the precautions Dave has put in trying to stabilize the heli. Maybe your weighting is not proper? I haven't seen teams with this issue but most likely it's misdistribution of weight and/or lift to cause it to flip. Best thing to probably do is to run mini-tests of less winds and increase and increase until you find the problem and see what caused it. Best of luck!
Sleep is for the week; one only needs it once a week :!: :geek: :roll: :?: :idea:

God bless Len Joeris | Balsaman
sciencegirl03
State: MI

Post by sciencegirl03 »

This is what happened: We launched the helicopter with the rotor side down, it went down, started flipping, bumped into something, flipped over and then went straight up. We only had around 40 winds(with a 15:1 winder) so didn't fly for long, but looked good. Straight up and then down.

The other time, It went straight down when launched with rotors side down, but when we launched it rotors side up, it flew straight up. Again, there were around 40 winds. We will experiment with more winds soon. It is my first year doing this.

Could be the weight distribution. I did have to glue some broken parts. Will build a second one soon.
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

2019 Nationals:
Wright Stuff: 3rd
Protein Modeling: 4th
Geologic Mapping: 5th
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

I think they are meant to fly rotor side up? Making it stable rotor side down would be a PAIN to say it mildly.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

sciencegirl03 wrote:This is what happened: We launched the helicopter with the rotor side down, it went down, started flipping, bumped into something, flipped over and then went straight up. We only had around 40 winds(with a 15:1 winder) so didn't fly for long, but looked good. Straight up and then down.

The other time, It went straight down when launched with rotors side down, but when we launched it rotors side up, it flew straight up. Again, there were around 40 winds. We will experiment with more winds soon. It is my first year doing this.

Could be the weight distribution. I did have to glue some broken parts. Will build a second one soon.
Your description, especially the part about it going down at first, sounds like you have the rotors pointing the wrong way. I'm fairly sure it's intended to fly with the rotors down (at least, based on the one device I've seen).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “Helicopters C”