Thermodynamics B/C

WhatScience?
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Thermodynamics B/C

Post by WhatScience? »

arv101 wrote:10. Which of the following is not a type of thermodynamic system?
a. Open
b. Insulated
c. Closed
d. isolated

Why is it C and not B ?( This was from a test I found online, did they screw up or am I missing something big)?
A closed system is DEFINITELY a thing. Idk what they are doing....where did you find this stuff? (Probably amateurtryingtoappearknowledgeable.com)
arv101
Division: B

Post by arv101 »

Idk some test I found online but good looks like I am not losing my mind lmao! :D
What did the thermometer say to the graduated cylinder?
"You may have graduated, but I have many degrees"
arv101

Post by arv101 »

WhatScience? Do you want to run that thermo mock test again? I'll try to advertise to get more people!
MariaK
Division: C
State: NY

Thermodynamics B/C

Post by MariaK »

For the graphs can we have more than one plot on one graph?
For example can we have 4 of these
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 111008.pdf
aniSUKSatCHEM

Post by aniSUKSatCHEM »

What is the difference between Aspen aerogel and silica aerogel? I see that both are good insulators but which one is better?
Alex-RCHS
Division: Grad
State: NC

Post by Alex-RCHS »

aniSUKSatCHEM wrote:What is the difference between Aspen aerogel and silica aerogel? I see that both are good insulators but which one is better?
Aspen is in blanket form. When buying this kind of aerogel, check that it doesn’t have fiberglass in it, which the rules call “prohibited”.
About me!
Raleigh Charter HS (NC) 2018
UNC-Chapel Hill 2022
arv101

Post by arv101 »

Where can I get more real thermodynamics/keep the heat tests? Like from a real competition? Anyone want to trade,hit me up?
arv101

Post by arv101 »

MariaK wrote:For the graphs can we have more than one plot on one graph?
For example can we have 4 of these
https://www.soinc.org/sites/default/fil ... 111008.pdf
Yeah, I am kind of confused too, if we have say 4 plots or 'lines' on one graph is that considered 4 "graphs" or just one graph? Also the rules say the graph must span at least one variable, would Temperature vs Cooling Time be okay? Can someone please explain!?! :o
sciencekid7

Post by sciencekid7 »

Rule 4.d says, "... Teams may utilize their own thermometers to measure the starting water temperature in their beakers."

Rule 4.f says, "Teams will use their graphs and/or tables to calculate the temperature of the water in their beaker at the end of the cooling time. They must provide the supervisors with their estimate prior to beginning part II."

In our invitationals, the part II written test begins before the part I device test because of the staggered nature of the part I device test. We begin part II, go part way through it, and get called up to do the part I device test using our 5 min time. We then go back to the part II written test. Reading it as written, we could be asked to provide the estimated temperature before we are allowed to measure the starting water temperature in the beakers. If so, what is the point of allowing us to measure the temperature? I assume that 4.f means that we have to predict the temperature before going back to the written test. Could you clarify?
mnparhy

Post by mnparhy »

From the rule book, my understanding is the following sequence happens for any team as an ordered sequence in time. Could some one please confirm if my understanding is correct?

1. A team may already be doing Part II written test till they are called for part I device testing
2. ES tells the team experiment parameters (temperature of water, volume of water, room temperature)
3. 5 min time is given to set up or modify device. Team starts temp prediction, but they are not required to give their final prediction to ES at this stage. Device is checked for construction violations
4. Team is given the set amount of water as announced, and ES records the start time.
5. Team pours the set amount of water into 2 beakers (but its not team's responsibility to measure if the specified amount of water is in the beaker - means they are not required to use a finely graduated cylinder).
6. Team puts one of the beaker into the device, and close the device. Team uses their own thermometer to measure the starting temperature of the beaker
7. Team finishes their calculation. Team gives the prediction for the final temperature of the internal beaker at the end of cooling period to ES
8. Team goes to do Part II written test, and called after end of their cooling period
9. ES measures temperature of internal and external beaker, reviews part I recorded data with the team.
10. Team goes back to part II written test.

Thanks.

Return to “2018 Lab Events”