2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

scioly2012
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2018 National Tournament: Colorado State University

Post by scioly2012 »

SilverP wrote:Is there any move to petition the directors or something to change the schedule? Who should we contact about this?
It's very unlikely that they're going to change the schedule, especially since it's been out and unchanged for months now :/ Which schedule conflict were you concerned about?
SilverP

Post by SilverP »

scioly2012 wrote:
SilverP wrote:Is there any move to petition the directors or something to change the schedule? Who should we contact about this?
It's very unlikely that they're going to change the schedule, especially since it's been out and unchanged for months now :/ Which schedule conflict were you concerned about?
Dynamic Planet and Rocks. I don't see why they would do this, and as a result, it appears Princeton and Yale Invitationals are using the same schedule.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

SilverP wrote:
Dynamic Planet and Rocks. I don't see why they would do this, and as a result, it appears Princeton and Yale Invitationals are using the same schedule.
I'm sure that the tournament directors would not change the conflicts. While it is inconvenient for most teams, the conflict imposes the same restrictions on all teams, and therefore is fair. Many competitions try to match the national tournament's schedule, and for that reason many teams have already adjusted to the conflict.

While this conflict may seem ridiculous, there have been much more arbitrary schedules in the past (2015's national schedule was entirely based on the alphabetical order of events).
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

SilverP wrote:
scioly2012 wrote:
Well those two invitationals are also basing their schedules off of the current tentative nationals schedule, and since the tentative nationals schedule says that the two are at the same time, they're just following that.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
knottingpurple
State: NJ

Post by knottingpurple »

pikachu4919 wrote:
SilverP wrote:
scioly2012 wrote: It's very unlikely that they're going to change the schedule, especially since it's been out and unchanged for months now :/ Which schedule conflict were you concerned about?
Well those two invitationals are also basing their schedules off of the current tentative nationals schedule, and since the tentative nationals schedule says that the two are at the same time, they're just following that.
Definitely it's annoying at this point in the season trying to divide up our top earth science people between DP and Rocks, but I guess at least we're doing that now, for Yale and Princeton, rather than just before Nationals. Since we're going to both Princeton and Yale, we were thinking of swapping people between the events for the two different competitions to figure out which pairings work best, it's annoying but at least we're aware of the conflict now and can work to address it I guess.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
GoldenKnight1
Coach
Coach
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by GoldenKnight1 »

knottingpurple wrote:Definitely it's annoying at this point in the season trying to divide up our top earth science people between DP and Rocks,
1) While I know it was "tentative" but this schedule has been out since September so you did not need to wait until now.
2) Maybe consider the evil genius of this event conflict. Making more people on your team learn about Rocks and DP. I vote for more "conflicts".
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by whythelongface »

GoldenKnight1 wrote:
knottingpurple wrote:Definitely it's annoying at this point in the season trying to divide up our top earth science people between DP and Rocks,
2) Maybe consider the evil genius of this event conflict. Making more people on your team learn about Rocks and DP. I vote for more "conflicts".
Or maybe it spreads a team out too thin. While I agree that having more people do different events is a good thing, it is my opinion that events should be done by people consistently strong in said events, especially at Nationals.
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
knottingpurple

Post by knottingpurple »

GoldenKnight1 wrote:
1) While I know it was "tentative" but this schedule has been out since September so you did not need to wait until now.
I know it's been out since September, my point was that addressing this conflict now is better than addressing it in May. Addressing it in September is, of course, better than addressing it now, by the same train of thought, but I was trying to say that there's still plenty of time.
WWP South, graduated 2018
Current undegrad in physics @Oxford University
JT880
Division: C
State: DC

Post by JT880 »

Possibly a bit early, but has anybody heard anything about the trial events this year for nationals?
Washington D.C.

2018 Events
Hovercraft, Optics, Thermodynamics, Dynamic Planet, Mousetrap Vehicle
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

JT880 wrote:Possibly a bit early, but has anybody heard anything about the trial events this year for nationals?
Tentative plan is:
Division C - Wifi Lab and Code Busters
Division B - Solar Power and Density Lab

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “2018 Nationals”