Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Test your knowledge of various Science Olympiad events.
Nano1llus10n
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anatomy and Physiology B/C

Post by Nano1llus10n »

WhatScience? wrote:I posted since nobody else was.

Using what you know about the lungs and how they developed in the human body, please explain why it is better to breath through your nose as opposed to your mouth when running.
breathing through the nose warms the air in the nasal cavity
You breathe slower since air can't get in as quickly, so more gas exchange can take place per breath
[b]Event:[/b] MIT/R/S/N
[b]Anatomy and Physiology:[/b] 8/3/2/26
[b]Helicopters:[/b] 11/-/2/43
[b]Microbe Mission:[/b] 13/2/2/8
[b]Event:[/b] R/S/N
[b]Anatomy and Physiology:[/b] 1/2/8
[b]Designer Genes:[/b] 1/2/4
[b]Protein Modeling:[/b] 1/3/2
[b]Wright Stuff:[/b] 2/2/9

Seven Lakes High School '21
WhatScience?
State: NJ

Post by WhatScience? »

Nano1llus10n wrote:
WhatScience? wrote:I posted since nobody else was.

Using what you know about the lungs and how they developed in the human body, please explain why it is better to breath through your nose as opposed to your mouth when running.
breathing through the nose warms the air in the nasal cavity
You breathe slower since air can't get in as quickly, so more gas exchange can take place per breath
I was actually looking for the fact that the lung is a wet organ that evolved from a fish like ancestor and the nose moisturizes air when it breaths it in, allowing for more efficient breathing.
Nano1llus10n

Post by Nano1llus10n »

It's been inactive lately, so here are a few questions to start up again...

1. The elimination of self-reactive thymocytes is called ________
2. Name the 4 major types of respiratory volumes:
3. The pressure difference between the intra-alveolar and intrapleural pressures is called ______ _______
4. Gas exchange that occurs at the level of the tissues is called _____ ______
5. During gastric emptying, chyme is released into the duodenum through the _____ _______
6. Name the 4 main regions of the stomach:
7. The nerve plexus that controls secretions by the gastrointestinal is located in the ________
8. How long does it take for food to pass entirely through the digestive system of a healthy human?
9. What blood vessel will transport nutrient molecules that have been absorbed by the small intestine to the liver?
10. What is the point of a fever?

Nerd_Bunny
State: ID

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Nano1llus10n wrote:It's been inactive lately, so here are a few questions to start up again...

3. The pressure difference between the intra-alveolar and intrapleural pressures is called ______ _______
5. During gastric emptying, chyme is released into the duodenum through the _____ _______
7. The nerve plexus that controls secretions by the gastrointestinal is located in the ________
8. How long does it take for food to pass entirely through the digestive system of a healthy human?
9. What blood vessel will transport nutrient molecules that have been absorbed by the small intestine to the liver?
I guessed on a lot of these but here goes...
1. Negative selection
2. Tidal volume, inspiratory reserve volume, expiratory residual volume, and residual volume. (I hope I spelled that all right. )
3. Transpulmonary pressure
4. Simple diffusion
5. Pyloric Spincter
6. Cardia, fundus, corpus, and pyloric.
7. Myenteric plexus
8. 6-8 hours. It varies between people of different sizes.
9. Hepatic portal vein
10. Some parts of your immune system work better at higher temperatures, making a fever beneficial to you, not just some annoying symptom.
Events: A&P, DD, Circuit Lab
States/Nats
2017 DD: 1/16
2018 A&P: 1/29
2019 A&P: 1/22
2019 PM: 1/22 
If you're curious...yes, I like rabbits.
Nano1llus10n

Post by Nano1llus10n »

Nerd_Bunny wrote:
Nano1llus10n wrote:It's been inactive lately, so here are a few questions to start up again...

I guessed on a lot of these but here goes...
1. Negative selection
2. Tidal volume, inspiratory reserve volume, expiratory residual volume, and residual volume. (I hope I spelled that all right. )
3. Transpulmonary pressure
4. Simple diffusion
5. Pyloric Spincter
6. Cardia, fundus, corpus, and pyloric.
7. Myenteric plexus
8. 6-8 hours. It varies between people of different sizes.
9. Hepatic portal vein
10. Some parts of your immune system work better at higher temperatures, making a fever beneficial to you, not just some annoying symptom.
#4 should be internal respiration but everything else is pretty much correct... your turn

Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

1. Describe lactose intolerance on each level from the cell to the whole person.
2. List the pathway of air starting at the nasal cavity or the oral cavity and ending at alveoli.
3. Describe an allergic reaction.
4. What are the real names for these abbreviations: TV, IRV, ERV, RV, VC. IC. FRC, TLC

I'm not looking for very specific answers for 1 and 3 so just summarize if you want to.
States/Nats
Nano1llus10n

Post by Nano1llus10n »

Nerd_Bunny wrote:1. Describe lactose intolerance on each level from the cell to the whole person.
2. List the pathway of air starting at the nasal cavity or the oral cavity and ending at alveoli.
4. What are the real names for these abbreviations: TV, IRV, ERV, RV, VC. IC. FRC, TLC

I'm not looking for very specific answers for 1 and 3 so just summarize if you want to.
1. It is the inability to digest & metabolize lactose, a sugar found in dairy products, which is caused by a deficiency of lactase; it primarily leads to diarrhea, nausea, abdominal cramps, bloating, and gas

2. nasal or oral cavity --> nasal or oropharynx --> laryngopharynx --> larynx --> trachea --> primary bronchus --> secondary bronchus --> tertiary bronchus --> bronchioles --> terminal bronchioles --> respiratory bronchioles --> alveolar duct --> alveolar sac --> alveoli

3. I'll assume you're talking about type I hypersensitivities: allergen invades body, plasma cells produce IgE against allergen, IgE antibodies attach to mast cells in body tissues & circulating basophils, more of the same antigen invades body, antigen combines with IgE already attached to cells which triggers degranulation & release of histamine, histamine causes vasodilation & edema

4. TV = Tidal Volume, IRV = Inspiratory Reserve Volume, ERV = Expiratory Reserve Volume, RV = Residual Volume, VC = Vital Capacity, IC = Inspiratory Capacity, FRC = Functional Residual Capacity, TLC = Total Lung Capacity

Nerd_Bunny

Post by Nerd_Bunny »

Nano1llus10n wrote:
Nerd_Bunny wrote:1. Describe lactose intolerance on each level from the cell to the whole person.

1. It is the inability to digest & metabolize lactose, a sugar found in dairy products, which is caused by a deficiency of lactase; it primarily leads to diarrhea, nausea, abdominal cramps, bloating, and gas

2. nasal or oral cavity --> nasal or oropharynx --> laryngopharynx --> larynx --> trachea --> primary bronchus --> secondary bronchus --> tertiary bronchus --> bronchioles --> terminal bronchioles --> respiratory bronchioles --> alveolar duct --> alveolar sac --> alveoli

3. I'll assume you're talking about type I hypersensitivities: allergen invades body, plasma cells produce IgE against allergen, IgE antibodies attach to mast cells in body tissues & circulating basophils, more of the same antigen invades body, antigen combines with IgE already attached to cells which triggers degranulation & release of histamine, histamine causes vasodilation & edema

4. TV = Tidal Volume, IRV = Inspiratory Reserve Volume, ERV = Expiratory Reserve Volume, RV = Residual Volume, VC = Vital Capacity, IC = Inspiratory Capacity, FRC = Functional Residual Capacity, TLC = Total Lung Capacity
Correct! Your turn.
States/Nats
jxxu20
State: NJ

Post by jxxu20 »

Well, I guess I'll post since no one else is posting. Here goes:

1. The enzyme _____ _____ catalyzes the conversion of carbon dioxide and water into carbonic acid.
2. _____ _____ states that at a constant temperature, the amount of a given gas that dissolves in a given type and volume of liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas in equilibrium with that liquid. (Hint: it's a gas law)
3. With respect to partial pressure of oxygen, what will happen if the concentration of 2,3-bisphosphoglycerate in the body increases? How will this affect the body?
4. If a person has a tidal volume of 600 mL and breathes 12 times per minute, calculate the approximate alveolar ventilation rate.
5. Compare and contrast the epithelial linings of the pharynx and small intestine.
6. What substance emulsifies fats for digestion? Where is this substance produced and what hormone triggers its production?
7. Intrinsic factor is produced by _____ which is secreted by _____ in the _____. What is the function of intrinsic factor?
8. _____, _____, and _____ are the three main proteolytic enzymes in the small intestine that cleave polypeptides into subunits known as peptides.
9. Cholesterol and colipase are examples of _____ molecules, meaning that they have hydrophobic and hydrophilic ends.
10. Where can Peyer's patches be found in the body?
11. Differentiate between cytotoxic T-cells and natural killer cells.
12. What cytokine stimulates the differentiation of B-cells?
13. Compare and contrast between MHC Class I and MHC Class II.
14. What is the most common and versatile antibody (immunoglobulin)?
15. Describe the mechanisms of cell-mediated and humoral immunity.

Btw you don't have to answer all of the questions -- answering a few will suffice :D
"Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood." -- George Orwell, 1984

Events 2019: A&P, Heredity, Picture This, P&P
Events 2020: A&P, Astro, DG, Geo Mapping
platypusomelette
State: NY

Post by platypusomelette »

jxxu20 wrote:Well, I guess I'll post since no one else is posting. Here goes:

1. The enzyme _____ _____ catalyzes the conversion of carbon dioxide and water into carbonic acid.
2. _____ _____ states that at a constant temperature, the amount of a given gas that dissolves in a given type and volume of liquid is directly proportional to the partial pressure of that gas in equilibrium with that liquid. (Hint: it's a gas law)
3. With respect to partial pressure of oxygen, what will happen if the concentration of 2,3-bisphosphoglycerate in the body increases? How will this affect the body?
4. If a person has a tidal volume of 600 mL and breathes 12 times per minute, calculate the approximate alveolar ventilation rate.
5. Compare and contrast the epithelial linings of the pharynx and small intestine.
6. What substance emulsifies fats for digestion? Where is this substance produced and what hormone triggers its production?
7. Intrinsic factor is produced by _____ which is secreted by _____ in the _____. What is the function of intrinsic factor?
8. _____, _____, and _____ are the three main proteolytic enzymes in the small intestine that cleave polypeptides into subunits known as peptides.
9. Cholesterol and colipase are examples of _____ molecules, meaning that they have hydrophobic and hydrophilic ends.
10. Where can Peyer's patches be found in the body?
11. Differentiate between cytotoxic T-cells and natural killer cells.
12. What cytokine stimulates the differentiation of B-cells?
13. Compare and contrast between MHC Class I and MHC Class II.
14. What is the most common and versatile antibody (immunoglobulin)?
15. Describe the mechanisms of cell-mediated and humoral immunity.

Btw you don't have to answer all of the questions -- answering a few will suffice :D
Welcome to the forum! :O
Since I have the digestive half of the event: 1. carbonic anhydrase
2. henry??
3. Oxygen will be released from hemoglobin since 2,3 BPG is an allosteric inhibitor, and partial pressure will go up. Not sure how it'd affect the body but I guess you'll have trouble taking up oxygen from the air?
5. Is it that everything past the cardia is columnar epithelium, and before it is simple squamous epithelium? The small intestine also contains microvilli
6. Bile, made in the liver. What triggers its production? I know cholecystokinin triggers its release from the gallbladder
7. By the stomach, parietal cells in fundic stomach glands. It's required for uptake of vitamin B12
9. Amphipathic
10. Small intestine
island trash trees hs
anat: reg 4th
herp: reg 6th
genes: reg 5th
protein: reg 2nd
disease: reg 15th
fossils: reg 4th
2016: a&p 1st, fossils 3rd
2017: a&p 3rd, herp 14th
2018: a&p 1st, microbe 8th, herp 13th :/